Evening Primrose Oil

  • babydoll
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
      I just found some of the EPO capsules at our healthfood store. Can someone tell me how to administer this, and what dosage should they get?
      Cathy D.
      Trulyblessed Persians/Himalayans
    • nancy.catania
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
        Hi Cathy,

        I give 500 mg daily as a standard dose and go up to 1,000 mg daily for those that have flareups. I use gelcaps and squeeze the gel onto a small spoon, one capsule at a time and turn it over in their mouth. You can also mix it into wet food if you are sure they will eat the whole thing. One capsule worth is small, so it isn't too much that it can cause problems where they can't swallow it fast enough. But do one capsule at a time if you are squeezing it onto a spoon.

        Nancy

        I just found some of the EPO capsules at our healthfood store. Can someone tell me how to administer this, and what dosage should they get?
        Cathy D.
        Trulyblessed Persians/Himalayans

      • liesca
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11 11:47 AM

          Hi everyone,

          I have two kitties (approx. 1 year old) with FHV. In one -- her name is Ophelia -- it mostly manifests itself with congestion in her nose. Sometimes she sneezes and I can't believe so much snot can come out of such a little head! She's very active and happy. We feed a good diet of raw and canned food (no dry).

          Ophelia is an excellent eater but, lately, she has less interest in raw food. She'll still eat canned. I suspect she can't smell the raw as much, which is why canned has become preferable.

          They're on Lysine (500 mg per day / each). I've tried doubling the dose, but that doesn't seem to help her. We break apart the capsules and mix it in their food.

          We've tried Famcyclovir in the past and it gave some relief while on it but then she reverted to the same level of congestion as before.

          Saw on this group that Evening Primrose Oil can be helpful for snotty issues. A quick internet search brings up gelcaps. Can it be found in powder form and put in the food like the Lysine? It looks like the dosage is the same as Lysine. Can it be given long-term -- or is it an occasional supplement?

          Thanks!

          Lisa, Ophelia, and Titus

        • nancy.catania
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11 1:02 PM
            Hi Lisa,

            I've never seen it in powder form.  I squeeze the gelcaps either onto food or onto a small spoon and slowly syringe into their mouths.
            500-1,000 mg when needed.

            Nancy