Re:feline herpes missy and her cough - I have the same question about Tobi

  • ppunger@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2013
      I saw this thread and have been meaning to ask the same question about Tobi - who has feline herpes. He coughs also and my vet said it's probably because of his mucous draining...but did mention caution about him developing asthma. I am so confused about this disease and now it's more confusing with this added concern.

      He coughs once or twice a day - he does stretch his neck out a little - but doesn't gasp for air. He sounds like a smoker clearing his throat when he does this. Sounds phelgmy. His stance is like he's throwing up a hairball.

      Thoughts anyone?

      Thank you - Pam & Tobi

      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, <cgwoods@...> wrote:

      > Not necessarily. Please describe the cough--frequency, body stance, etc.
      >
      > If they are stretching out their neck, getting kind of low and coughing,
      > that could be asthma (easily controlled; I have an asthma cat). Or, as
      > someone said, it could be heart. But it is not really a common herpes
      > symptom. Please check with your vet. Lots of cats are asthmatic. Your vet
      > should be able to diagnose. Get a chest x-ray, which will definitely help to
      > diagnose.
      > Caralee

    • caraleekanab
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2013
        Get a chest x-ray and it will show if asthma is present, I think. Also if
        the coughing increases in frequency. Go to
        http://www.fritzthebrave.com/asthma/symptoms.html for a short video showing
        how an asthma cat coughs, and that website has tons of feline asthma info.
        My asthma cat is just fine! It's an easy thing to treat, not terribly
        expensive once you've bought the equipment (about $60 plus the inhaler,
        which we buy at overseas inexpensive place) and you're off and running.
        Caralee

        I saw this thread and have been meaning to ask the same question about
        Tobi - who has feline herpes. He coughs also and my vet said it's probably
        because of his mucous draining...but did mention caution about him
        developing asthma. I am so confused about this disease and now it's more
        confusing with this added concern.

        He coughs once or twice a day - he does stretch his neck out a little - but
        doesn't gasp for air. He sounds like a smoker clearing his throat when he
        does this. Sounds phelgmy. His stance is like he's throwing up a hairball.

        Thoughts anyone?

        Thank you - Pam & Tobi

        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, <cgwoods@...> wrote:

        > Not necessarily. Please describe the cough--frequency, body stance, etc.
        >
        > If they are stretching out their neck, getting kind of low and coughing,
        > that could be asthma (easily controlled; I have an asthma cat). Or, as
        > someone said, it could be heart. But it is not really a common herpes
        > symptom. Please check with your vet. Lots of cats are asthmatic. Your
        > vet
        > should be able to diagnose. Get a chest x-ray, which will definitely help
        > diagnose.
        > Caralee

      • Anyes
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2013
          One of my 2 herpes girls does that too. It is mucus draining in the back
          of the throat. She looks like she is coughing a hairball but never
          does. She has short hair and does not have hairballs.
          She just coughs and swallows and it's over with. Nothing to worry about
          if you have ruled out asthma or other conditions.
          Anyes and the snotty girls