My cat has nasal herpes and cough

  • Pamela
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 31, 2012
      I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left nostril often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and coughs.

      Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay, eats (though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I feel so bad for he when she coughs.

      Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine every day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.

      Any advise from anyone out there?
      Thanks so much
      Pamela
    • Anyes
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2012
        Whatever you do, do not give steroids or cortisone as that will cause a
        flare up of the virus.
        Mine have the cough when they get plugged up. I usually get good
        results giving claritin (1/2 pill); it is enough to clear the sinuses
        and loosen the snot and open up the airways. Some cats are on it year
        round; some just seasonally for a few weeks at a time.

        What food are you feeding? No grain food is best, no corn, no soya and
        no wheat at the very least. Grain feeds the virus and changing to a
        meat based food will help a lot.

        Anyes and the snotty girls

        On 1/31/2012 4:52 PM, Pamela wrote:
        > I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left nostril often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and coughs.
        >
        > Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay, eats (though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I feel so bad for he when she coughs.
        >
        > Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine every day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.
        >
        > Any advise from anyone out there?
        > Thanks so much
        > Pamela

      • Marilyn Edwards
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2012
          Pamela:

          For the cough, try Nectadyn.  This is a natural product, made in Belgium, distributed by Heel Inc. in Albuquerque, N.M.  I originally bought it for Willow, but I use it too.  Works better than the prescription stuff, without the nasty side effects.  I give Willow 1/2 the children's dose.  The most it's ever taken to stop her cough is two doses for two consecutive days.  Go to amazon.com, look under pet supplies, type in Nectadyn, and it should pull it up.  $9.61 @Swanson Health, with free shipping.  You should see my review there, too.

          Marilyn

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2012
            Pamela:

            I should have included this in my previous reply.

            For the sneezing:  Either gentamicin or polymycin ophthamic drops 1-2 drops up each nostril 1-2 times daily.  I get it from my vet -- $5.00 for a 5 ml. bottle.  Last time I was in, the vet tech told me it was going up in price.  It's over $20 on the open market.  I only give it to Willow when she has a flare, which doesn't happen very often anymore.  As long as I give her her daily Enisyl, she's fine -- hasn't been sneezing at all for several weeks now.

            Marilyn

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2012
              Thank you so much Marilyn! I will order it right now. I also get the feeling
              that though my vet is a lovely caring person she is guessing at times. I need
              this solved or at least know that I am doing all I can do. Anna has been
              coughing since 2009! I will order Nectadyn right now!

              Pamela

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 2, 2012
                Anyes,

                Thanks for you reply. Yes, I learned my lesson about steroids. Anna developed
                drug induced Diabetes. Then I had to give her insulin shots but then she got an
                insulin overdose and I had to rush her to the vet....nightmare!

                What kind of Claritin 12 hour, 24 hour? You dosed at 1/2 a pill how many times a
                day? How much did the kitty weight? My Anna is about 7 pounds. She has lost 3
                over the past 4 lbs months.

                Thanks
                Pamela

                ________________________________
                Whatever you do, do not give steroids or cortisone as that will cause a
                flare up of the virus.
                Mine have the cough when they get plugged up. I usually get good
                results giving claritin (1/2 pill); it is enough to clear the sinuses
                and loosen the snot and open up the airways. Some cats are on it year
                round; some just seasonally for a few weeks at a time.

                What food are you feeding? No grain food is best, no corn, no soya and
                no wheat at the very least. Grain feeds the virus and changing to a
                meat based food will help a lot.

                Anyes and the snotty girls

                On 1/31/2012 4:52 PM, Pamela wrote:
                > I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who
                >unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left nostril
                >often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and
                >coughs.
                >
                > Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay, eats
                >(though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I feel so
                >bad for he when she coughs.
                >
                > Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine every
                >day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and
                >steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.
                >
                > Any advise from anyone out there?
                > Thanks so much
                > Pamela

              • Anyes
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 2, 2012
                  it is the regular claritin/loratadine 10mg. 1/2 pill per day (5mg).
                  1/4 for kittens or small cats. You can try the smaller dose and see if
                  you get results and up the dose if not.
                  Anyes

                  On 2/2/2012 3:39 PM, Pamela Norpell wrote:
                  > Anyes,
                  >
                  > Thanks for you reply. Yes, I learned my lesson about steroids. Anna developed
                  > drug induced Diabetes. Then I had to give her insulin shots but then she got an
                  > insulin overdose and I had to rush her to the vet....nightmare!
                  >
                  > What kind of Claritin 12 hour, 24 hour? You dosed at 1/2 a pill how many times a
                  > day? How much did the kitty weight? My Anna is about 7 pounds. She has lost 3
                  > over the past 4 lbs months.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Pamela
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • LOREN
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2012
                    The product Bee Alive which is a propiatary blend of honey, echinacia, and goldenseal stops sneezing with one squirt in the mouth. It performs this right away in all 4 of my feline friends who have herpes. Its so remarkable i just had to share. Bee Alive has its own website.

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • nancycatania@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                      Thanks so much, Loren. I'll check it out right now.
                      Nancy

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                        which product on the site is it, Loren?
                        Nancy

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                          Would this help with the congestion and buggies? My baby doesn't sneeze much (sometimes I wish she would to blow out the snotties) she snores and snorts and gets to where she is mouth breathing because she can't get air through her nose. The vet told me to put Gentamicin ophthalmic directly in the nose but it doesn't seem to help. I will do anything to help her breath. She is perfectly fine other than that. Eats like a horse, tons of energy, and plays, plays, plays.

                          She is grain free and on Lysine, 1/4 of a Claritine, and a homeopathic remedy called FCV Protect.

                          Char and the sicky girl

                        • nancycatania@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                            Does she have very small nares, Char? Sometimes they have to have them opened up if they are particularly small with surgery. I've had to do that with two of my Persians.
                            I've used Evening Primrose Oil and it seems to help with the breathing issues. 1/4 tsp once a day to start is what I've used.
                            You can use the oil from a spoon or a gelcap and use a pin to prick it and just squeeze it into her mouth. That would be a 500 mg capsule.
                            I get mine at swansonvitamins.com. They have the NOW brand of EPO in a bottle or their own brand of gelcaps.

                            Nancy

                            Would this help with the congestion and buggies? My baby doesn't sneeze much (sometimes I wish she would to blow out the snotties) she snores and snorts and gets to where she is mouth breathing because she can't get air through her nose. The vet told me to put Gentamicin ophthalmic directly in the nose but it doesn't seem to help. I will do anything to help her breath. She is perfectly fine other than that. Eats like a horse, tons of energy, and plays, plays, plays.

                            She is grain free and on Lysine, 1/4 of a Claritine, and a homeopathic remedy called FCV Protect.

                            Char and the sicky girl

                          • Caralee
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                              I tried the gentamicin route as well, with no real success. One thing I finally did to help with the buildup of mucous in the nose is to buy one of those ear-washing bulbs at the pharmacy. The tip is small enough to fit the nostril of a kitty. I used it to (sorry) suck the stuff out, which at least helped for awhile. Be sure to wash it afterward with a little warm water sucked up into the bulb and squeezed out. And be sure to squeeze it before putting at the nostril opening so you don't push the stuff farther up rather than sucking it out. I always thought some vet could make real money inventing such a device like they have for human babies, but much smaller. Then I thought of the ear washing bulb!

                              Caralee
                              Would this help with the congestion and buggies? My baby doesn't sneeze much (sometimes I wish she would to blow out the snotties) she snores and snorts and gets to where she is mouth breathing because she can't get air through her nose. The vet told me to put Gentamicin ophthalmic directly in the nose but it doesn't seem to help. I will do anything to help her breath. She is perfectly fine other than that. Eats like a horse, tons of energy, and plays, plays, plays.

                              She is grain free and on Lysine, 1/4 of a Claritine, and a homeopathic remedy called FCV Protect.

                              Char and the sicky girl

                            • Charlotte
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                                Thank you Nancy and Caralee. I will start the EPO right now and will pick up the ear washing bulb this afternoon at Walmart. I bought a infant nose bulb but was to big. I think that her nostrils are the right size for her age. She is almost 8 months old now. The vet has never said anything about them being to small. I have tried the EPO sporadically but was never really sure of the dose so I will give 500 mg consistently starting today.

                                TU,
                                Char and the sicky baby

                              • nancycatania@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                                  Good luck, Char. I hope she feels better soon.
                                  Nancy

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                                    The Bee Alive product is called Defense Formula
                                  • Pamela Norpell
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                                      Are you feeding 1,000mg of Lysine? I have had my Anna on that for months with no
                                      side effects. I had her on 500mg and it did nothing

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 4, 2012
                                        I have her on 500mg twice a day. I bought some saline solution with aloe at Walmart. Has anyone ever given aloe to their cat?

                                      • nancycatania@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 5, 2012
                                          Thank you, I'll check it out.
                                          Nancy

                                          The Bee Alive product is called Defense Formula

                                        • yourmomeatsjello
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 8, 2012
                                            Hi Pam,

                                            My little guy has mostly nasal symptoms as well. I alternate between infant saline spray (Little Noses), Gentamicin and a steam in the bathroom for his congestion. Usually if I can get him to sneeze all the gunk out, the coughing subsides. As I'm sure someone else has written, Claratin also helps with the sneezing. Another member recommended Nectadyn (a natural cough syrup)to me but he hasn't had a bout of coughing since I ordered it (go figure) so I haven't tried it yet. You might want to try that.

                                            Best,

                                            Lisa

                                            --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Pamela" <norpell737@...> wrote:

                                            > I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left nostril often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and coughs.
                                            >
                                            > Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay, eats (though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I feel so bad for he when she coughs.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine every day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.
                                            >
                                            > Any advise from anyone out there?
                                            > Thanks so much
                                            > Pamela

                                          • Pamela Norpell
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 9, 2012
                                              Thanks Lisa,
                                              I will try the Little Noses. I am using Claratin already as well as the Netadyn.
                                              When your kitty coughs what does it sound like? Does it sound loose and flemmy
                                              or dry?

                                              Glad you kitty is not coughing. May it stay that way.

                                              Pamela

                                              ________________________________

                                            • nancycatania@comcast.net
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                Pamela, I use the Nectadyn also. Jayden's cough is dry. He does have a bronchial problem and the Nectadyn helps him tremendously. I have medication for him but most days I don't have to use it by using the Nectadyn.
                                                Nancy

                                                My little guy has mostly nasal symptoms as well. I alternate between infant
                                                saline spray (Little Noses), Gentamicin and a steam in the bathroom for his
                                                congestion. Usually if I can get him to sneeze all the gunk out, the coughing
                                                subsides. As I'm sure someone else has written, Claratin also helps with the
                                                sneezing. Another member recommended Nectadyn (a natural cough syrup)to me but
                                                he hasn't had a bout of coughing since I ordered it (go figure) so I haven't
                                                tried it yet. You might want to try that.

                                                Best,

                                                Lisa

                                                --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com , "Pamela" <norpell737@...> wrote:

                                                > I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who
                                                >unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left nostril
                                                >often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and
                                                >coughs.
                                                >
                                                > Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay, eats
                                                >(though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I feel so
                                                >bad for he when she coughs.
                                                >
                                                > Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine every
                                                >day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and
                                                >steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.
                                                >
                                                > Any advise from anyone out there?
                                                > Thanks so much
                                                > Pamela

                                              • Evelyn Black
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                  Pamela - another natural, inexpensive thing to try is EPO, Evening Primrose
                                                  Oil. That really helps with inflammation, which eases the nasal issues; not
                                                  sure about how it would affect whatever's causing the coughing. I've found
                                                  that it makes a significant difference with overall congestion. I buy it in
                                                  500 milligram capsules at the health food store, puncture with a pin and
                                                  squeeze into food or right into kitty's mouth. It's also available in
                                                  liquid form.

                                                  Evelyn in cincinnati

                                                  _____

                                                  --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com <mailto:felineherpes%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                  , "Pamela" <norpell737@...> wrote:

                                                  > I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who
                                                  >unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left
                                                  nostril
                                                  >often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and
                                                  >coughs.
                                                  >
                                                  > Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay,
                                                  eats
                                                  >(though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I
                                                  feel so
                                                  >bad for he when she coughs.
                                                  >
                                                  > Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine
                                                  every
                                                  >day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and
                                                  >steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.
                                                  >
                                                  > Any advise from anyone out there?
                                                  > Thanks so much
                                                  > Pamela

                                                • Pamela Norpell
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                    Well Nancy, Anna's cough is loose and flemmy. It sounds awful. I am afraid that
                                                    it is time to take her for a chest xray. I guess it is possible that she has
                                                    phneumonia or maybe worse it is the growth that has enlarged. Pray for me. I am
                                                    scared to death to find out but I guess it is time.

                                                    Pamela

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    My little guy has mostly nasal symptoms as well. I alternate between infant
                                                    saline spray (Little Noses), Gentamicin and a steam in the bathroom for his
                                                    congestion. Usually if I can get him to sneeze all the gunk out, the coughing
                                                    subsides. As I'm sure someone else has written, Claratin also helps with the
                                                    sneezing. Another member recommended Nectadyn (a natural cough syrup)to me but
                                                    he hasn't had a bout of coughing since I ordered it (go figure) so I haven't
                                                    tried it yet. You might want to try that.

                                                    Best,

                                                    Lisa

                                                    --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com , "Pamela" <norpell737@...> wrote:

                                                    > I am a new member to your site. I have a 11 year old kitty, Anna, who
                                                    >unfortunately has nasal herpes. She is rarely not flared up. Her left nostril
                                                    >often becomes totally closed with the ulcers that develop. She sneezes and
                                                    >coughs.
                                                    >
                                                    > Do any of you experience a cough? It sound awful! She seems to act okay, eats
                                                    >(though she has lost some weight) gets in my lap, plays with toys. But I feel so
                                                    >
                                                    >bad for he when she coughs.
                                                    >
                                                    > Yes, I have spend lots of $$$$$$ at the vet. She gets 1000mg of Llysine every
                                                    >day and it seems to make no difference. The vet has tried antivirals and
                                                    >steroids. What in the world is there that can help this.
                                                    >
                                                    > Any advise from anyone out there?
                                                    > Thanks so much
                                                    > Pamela

                                                  • Pamela Norpell
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                      I will give it a try. Thank you Evelyn

                                                    • nancycatania@comcast.net
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 9, 2012
                                                        Oh, Pamela. I'll pray for Anna, I'm sorry to hear that. Please let us know what you find out. She definitely sounds like a chest xray is in order.
                                                        Nancy