Profender

  • cindi a/k/a Cin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
      I hadn't noticed anyone mention the latest dewormer for cats on the
      market so I thought I would bring it up and see if any have given it a
      try or need more info. (Actually I was "nudged" to post about it lol!)It
      is called Profender. It kills roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms for 3
      months continuous and is applied as the topical flea medications between
      the shoulder blades. Worms in general but especially tapeworm, have
      became resistant to the regular tapeworm tabs most of us are used to
      using when the problem arises. My vet told me he refuses to sell the
      tapeworm tabs any longer as so many customers would come back saying it
      had not done the trick. Also those tapeworm tabs are only a one time
      deal--meaning it only kills them the 1 time you give the tab--not
      continuously for 3 months as this new Profender does.Summer was
      particularly brutal here in Oklahoma with it being 113 humid degrees
      most days in my area (yes they actually have a weather station out here
      in the sticks lol!) with only 5 or 6 days being 100 degrees or just
      below. Our most trusted flea and tick medications let us down because
      things were so bad. As most of you know, cats can catch tapeworm by
      eating a flea as fleas are carriers of the tapeworm larva. So when you
      use the tabs, afterwards if they happen to eat while preening
      themselves, another flea with the larva, BOOM the whole worm ordeal
      starts all over again. With this Profender, it provides 3 months of
      continual protection from worms, including tapeworm.Profender seems
      rather expensive @ $22 per vial for extra large cats (however you can
      buy an extra large vial, put in a small container and draw out the
      correct dosage for kittens and normal sized cats and be able to possibly
      treat 2 or 3 from that one vial as you can some of the topical flea meds
      such as Revolution).Now I actually sat down and kind of figured out just
      how much money had been spent on tapeworm, roundworm (large n small) and
      hookworm medications. When you add the prices up it is close to the same
      cost as Profender but the normal protocol of treatments DO NOT provide 3
      months of continuous protection! So when you figure that in, Profender
      seems to be "IT" to use on your cat or kitten hands down!Profender can
      be given to kittens as young as 8 weeks old as well as pregnant and
      nursing mama kitties! If given during the pregnancy chances are the
      babies will not be born with worms which is the norm as far as roundworm
      is concerned on rescued mama kitties and happens quite frequently in
      mama kitties who have been treated well already.Here are two links about
      Profender one is the actual vet information and the other is for the
      general cat owners wanting to know more. BTW it is made by the Bayer
      Co.Vet link is: http://www.bayerdvm.com/products/profender/profender.cfm
      <http://www.bayerdvm.com/products/profender/profender.cfm> General info
      for owners is:
      http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.aspx?Page=50&ItemId=71
      <http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.aspx?Page=50&ItemId=71> I have
      not gotten to try this product out as of yet as I have apx 50 cats and
      kittens currently I am caring for. My vet called his supplier and can
      get me a deal if I buy and entire box of extra large vials--40 to a box
      @ only $12.60 per vial instead of the normal @$22 per vial--a savings of
      almost $10 per vial! So I am trying to raise donations for the rescue to
      be able to purchase the deal (donations and my personal income are slim
      to nothing right now) which will be more than enough to treat each cat
      and kitten plus maybe have a few left over for incoming rescues. If any
      of you deal in rescues and can't obtain it at this cost, I'd be happy to
      order you the same deal from my vet for you as long as you send the
      money plus the lil postage it would cost as these are same type vials
      like the flea meds so wouldn't weigh all that much or be very big to
      send. Also if several of you want to go in on this type of deal, figure
      it out among yourselves and who will send the amount of money needed
      plus who I should send the product to & I will be more than happy to do
      this too. I'm sure if enough heads were put together that could be
      accomplished lol! Just send me a private message @ ctipling@... if
      you would like me to do so for you:)And if any of you just happen to
      know how I could obtain this product for even less $$$ by all means let
      me know ASAP!And last but not least, if any of you has given this
      product a try, plz let us all know more about it and how well it worked
      for your kitty! My vet says he guarantees it to work!Kindest Regards,Cin

    • Amy Christian