Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Input please.(Update)

  • Cheri Reese
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
      Thank you all for the input.  I do have an update on Sophia. She had xrays and labs and nothing is showing up why she is refusing to eat. I tried the baby food chicken and she did eat some of this.  This is all she is willing to eat right now.  How much should I hope to get into her.  The vet wants me to just try to keep her energy up now. She is drinking water and did get some fluids the other day. This eating thing is just driving me nuts.  I tried to mix a little of her canned food with the baby food and she would not eat it. It seems like she is having a hard time with her mouth, but vet can not find anything that should be causing a problem. He does not see any ulcers that would prevent her, but said she could have some down her throat he said if she does not pick up eating we can sedate her and he can scope her to see if there is something there. Has anyone had a kitty stop eating and if so how long does it typically last. I know cats can get
      very ill FAST when they're not eating.
      Worried!!
      Cheri and Sophia
      From: Marilyn Edwards <catsmeow_68933@...>
      Sender: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:02:12
      To: <felineherpes@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <catsmeow_68933@...>

      My little Willow seems to do fine on Friskies canned food.  With three kitties, I just can't afford the more expensive food.  She doesn't like any of the flavors other than chicken or beef.  For dry food, I give her Goodlife indoor.  She only gets that on the mornings that she weighs less than 10 pounds.  Vet told me I needed to put her on a diet -- she was really sick and only weighed 3.8 pounds when I rescued her.  The Goodlife indoor actually has less fat than the other weight loss brands.  I've been giving her the Enisyl paste for over a year now.  I just grab her, put her in the bathroom sink, and shoot it down her throat.  Morning dosing seems to work better than evening.  I hadn't heard or seen her sneeze more than once for about a month.  However, she's sneezing out snotty stuff tonight, so I'll shoot some Neomycin drops up her nose for a couple of days until that stops.

      Hope this helps!

      Marilyn

    • nancycatania@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
        Hi Cheri,
        Whenever mine don't eat, I always have luck with the A/D canned from the vet. The baby food is good too. I wish I had some advice for you, maybe the throat scope would be the way to go if the vet doesn't see any outward signs of why she isn't eating. Don't wait to too long, even if you have to syringe food into her, make sure she eats/drinks.
        Nancy

[...]

      • Anyes
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
          As you know, the most important thing is to keep her eating for now or
          she could get hepatic lipidosis. Been there, done that twice with one
          of mine. She had to have a feeding tube put in her neck. It was not
          fun. Temporary feeding foods to get her interested again: deli
          turkey, roasted chicken (mine loved it), tuna in water, babyfood,
          sprinkle bonita flakes on canned food. Bonita flakes is in the
          international aisle of the grocery store. It is made of dried fish for
          miso soup and other japanese dishes. It is very stinky so even
          congested cats can still smell it. If your cat has a stuffed up nose,
          she may not be smelling her food. Are you giving claritin to try to
          clear her sinuses? Is she congested?

          Anyes and the snotty girls

          On 7/2/2011 2:50 PM, Cheri Reese wrote:
          > Thank you all for the input. I do have an update on Sophia. She had xrays and labs and nothing is showing up why she is refusing to eat. I tried the baby food chicken and she did eat some of this. This is all she is willing to eat right now. How much should I hope to get into her. The vet wants me to just try to keep her energy up now. She is drinking water and did get some fluids the other day. This eating thing is just driving me nuts. I tried to mix a little of her canned food with the baby food and she would not eat it. It seems like she is having a hard time with her mouth, but vet can not find anything that should be causing a problem. He does not see any ulcers that would prevent her, but said she could have some down her throat he said if she does not pick up eating we can sedate her and he can scope her to see if there is something there. Has anyone had a kitty stop eating and if so how long does it typically last. I know cats can get
          > very ill FAST when they're not eating.
          > Worried!!
          > Cheri and Sophia

        • Anyes
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
            I forgot to add that if she has a mouth or tongue ulcer, slippery elm
            bark can help with that. You can mix 1/2 gelcap (about 180mg) with a
            teaspoon of babyfood. It heals ulcers.
            I have used it with my previous crf kitty and it treated the sores
            really well.

            Anyes and the snotty girls

            On 7/2/2011 3:01 PM, Anyes wrote:
            > As you know, the most important thing is to keep her eating for now or
            > she could get hepatic lipidosis. Been there, done that twice with one
            > of mine. She had to have a feeding tube put in her neck. It was not
            > fun. Temporary feeding foods to get her interested again: deli
            > turkey, roasted chicken (mine loved it), tuna in water, babyfood,
            > sprinkle bonita flakes on canned food. Bonita flakes is in the
            > international aisle of the grocery store. It is made of dried fish for
            > miso soup and other japanese dishes. It is very stinky so even
            > congested cats can still smell it. If your cat has a stuffed up nose,
            > she may not be smelling her food. Are you giving claritin to try to
            > clear her sinuses? Is she congested?
            >
            > Anyes and the snotty girls
            >
            > On 7/2/2011 2:50 PM, Cheri Reese wrote:
            >> Thank you all for the input. I do have an update on Sophia. She had xrays and labs and nothing is showing up why she is refusing to eat. I tried the baby food chicken and she did eat some of this. This is all she is willing to eat right now. How much should I hope to get into her. The vet wants me to just try to keep her energy up now. She is drinking water and did get some fluids the other day. This eating thing is just driving me nuts. I tried to mix a little of her canned food with the baby food and she would not eat it. It seems like she is having a hard time with her mouth, but vet can not find anything that should be causing a problem. He does not see any ulcers that would prevent her, but said she could have some down her throat he said if she does not pick up eating we can sedate her and he can scope her to see if there is something there. Has anyone had a kitty stop eating and if so how long does it typically last. I know cats can get
            >> very ill FAST when they're not eating.
            >> Worried!!
            >> Cheri and Sophia

          • Cheri Reese
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
              The vet did not say anything about her being conjested. However, I've heard her and she seems stuffed up. He never said to try claritian.  Is this typically safe for cats?  Can you help me with the L-Lysine dose.  I have 7 cats and was planning on getting the caps. A post said they are tasteless and I want to get everyone on it. I noticed today my carrier cat is starting to sneeze alot. Oh brother!
              I appreciate your input.

            • nancycatania@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
                The easiest way to use lysine for so many cats is the powdered lysine. It is definitely the most inexpensive too. I have multiple cats and I get the one-pound powder from Swansonvitamins.com or iherb.com for about $11. That lasts a very long time. 250 mg (1/8 tsp) twice/day is the usual dosage with double that for flare ups. Put in a glass and mix with water and syringe into their mouths directly.

                Nancy

                On 7/2/2011 3:01 PM, Anyes wrote:
                > As you know, the most important thing is to keep her eating for now or
                > she could get hepatic lipidosis. Been there, done that twice with one
                > of mine. She had to have a feeding tube put in her neck. It was not
                > fun. Temporary feeding foods to get her interested again: deli
                > turkey, roasted chicken (mine loved it), tuna in water, babyfood,
                > sprinkle bonita flakes on canned food. Bonita flakes is in the
                > international aisle of the grocery store. It is made of dried fish for
                > miso soup and other japanese dishes. It is very stinky so even
                > congested cats can still smell it. If your cat has a stuffed up nose,
                > she may not be smelling her food. Are you giving claritin to try to
                > clear her sinuses? Is she congested?
                >
                > Anyes and the snotty girls
                >
                > On 7/2/2011 2:50 PM, Cheri Reese wrote:
                >> Thank you all for the input. I do have an update on Sophia. She had xrays and labs and nothing is showing up why she is refusing to eat. I tried the baby food chicken and she did eat some of this. This is all she is willing to eat right now. How much should I hope to get into her. The vet wants me to just try to keep her energy up now. She is drinking water and did get some fluids the other day. This eating thing is just driving me nuts. I tried to mix a little of her canned food with the baby food and she would not eat it. It seems like she is having a hard time with her mouth, but vet can not find anything that should be causing a problem. He does not see any ulcers that would prevent her, but said she could have some down her throat he said if she does not pick up eating we can sedate her and he can scope her to see if there is something there. Has anyone had a kitty stop eating and if so how long does it typically last. I know cats can get
                >> very ill FAST when they're not eating.
                >> Worried!!
                >> Cheri and Sophia

              • Morgaine Le Fay
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
                  Llysine 500 mg 2x a day with 2tsp of water sucked into syringe then into mouth. My babies on it 8 yrs

                  I use 5mg 1/2 tab of zrytec generic. 1x a day.

                  I hope this helps your babies.
                  Morgaine

                  On 7/2/2011 3:01 PM, Anyes wrote:
                  > As you know, the most important thing is to keep her eating for now or
                  > she could get hepatic lipidosis. Been there, done that twice with one
                  > of mine. She had to have a feeding tube put in her neck. It was not
                  > fun. Temporary feeding foods to get her interested again: deli
                  > turkey, roasted chicken (mine loved it), tuna in water, babyfood,
                  > sprinkle bonita flakes on canned food. Bonita flakes is in the
                  > international aisle of the grocery store. It is made of dried fish for
                  > miso soup and other japanese dishes. It is very stinky so even
                  > congested cats can still smell it. If your cat has a stuffed up nose,
                  > she may not be smelling her food. Are you giving claritin to try to
                  > clear her sinuses? Is she congested?
                  >
                  > Anyes and the snotty girls
                  >
                  > On 7/2/2011 2:50 PM, Cheri Reese wrote:
                  >> Thank you all for the input. I do have an update on Sophia. She had xrays and labs and nothing is showing up why she is refusing to eat. I tried the baby food chicken and she did eat some of this. This is all she is willing to eat right now. How much should I hope to get into her. The vet wants me to just try to keep her energy up now. She is drinking water and did get some fluids the other day. This eating thing is just driving me nuts. I tried to mix a little of her canned food with the baby food and she would not eat it. It seems like she is having a hard time with her mouth, but vet can not find anything that should be causing a problem. He does not see any ulcers that would prevent her, but said she could have some down her throat he said if she does not pick up eating we can sedate her and he can scope her to see if there is something there. Has anyone had a kitty stop eating and if so how long does it typically last. I know cats can get
                  >> very ill FAST when they're not eating.
                  >> Worried!!
                  >> Cheri and Sophia

                • Anyes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2011
                    Hi Cheri,
                    Claritin 1/2 pill/day for adults, 1/4 for young or small cats.
                    Lysine 250mg maintenance dose to 1000mg/day when they have a flare up.
                    You can split it in 2 as it gets peed out.
                    I use Costco lysine and mix it with a teaspoon of babyfood (meat in
                    gravy type).

                    Anyes and the snotty girls