Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Nothing seems to help my cat's eye discharge

  • kelvweb
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2011
      Thanks! I had never heard of Eye Envy or Eye See Clearly mentioned earlier.

    • nancycatania@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2011
        You're welcome. Eye Envy is a cleaner for tear stains that works great and it is specially made for lighter colored cats/dogs but it works great for all to keep the tear stains at bay. I use the powder too for a double whammy, lol Eye See Clearly I always have on hand for excessive tearing or conjunctivitis because it isn't harsh and is homeopathic. Works great.

        Nancy

        Thanks! I had never heard of Eye Envy or Eye See Clearly mentioned earlier.

        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com , nancycatania@... wrote:

        > Did you think of using something like Eye Envy? I use it and it is wonderful and I have all Persian cats. It gets rid of the brown discharge and does a great job of keeping it away, I only clean their eyes once unless they are having a herpes flare up, which isn't too often. I use their original version and the powder that goes with it. I don't always use the powder but it helps to keep the area dry from any discharge. I know what you mean, when they tear and shake their heads, you get the brown spots on the walls, I get it too. Eyeenvy.com
        >
        > Nancy

      • kelvweb
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2011
          Nancy-

          The goo from my cat's eyes does not stain her fur (she is a blue grey persian). Do you think the Eye Envy would still be useful to lessen the eye discharge?

          Just thought I'd mention this in case it helps anyone else... I saw the Eye Envy on Petsmart's website but after I drove to the store I found out it was not sold at my store (it is only a petsmart.com purchase) PetCo did not have it on its website.

          The Eye See Clearly says it has St. John's Wort in it. I tried that herb on myself years ago for mild depression and it made me feel very blah. Also, a known side effect of St. John's Wort is sensitivity to light I'm not sure if I want to try it on my cat. Any thoughts?

          I saw Similisan homeopathic Pink Eye Relief drops at Walmart for humans and was wondering if that product might be useful for cats? http://www.similasanusa.com/pink-eye-relief

        • nancycatania@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2011
            The Eye Envy you are seeing in the stores is the non-refrigerated version. I didn't find that as good as the original formula that has to be refrigerated and you can only get from their site.
            I have a blue persian and a himalayan, as well as two blue tabbies, so they have the lighter fur. It doesn't go in the eye, so it just lessens the staining. I'd be surprised if a Persian didn't have staining from eye discharge, even a little. All 14 of mine are Persians and it benefits them all, light or dark fur.

            The Eye See Clearly will help with the discharge itself. I've never seen any problems with it, it has been wonderful for the discharge and other problems with their eyes. Personally, I always have these things on hand and my Persians always look great. I guess all cats will react differently with the Eye See Clearly, but I've always found it a huge help to have around. Not to say I don't pull out the bigger guns when I need them and they are prescribed by the vet, but for discharge and pink eye and things like that, it works great without the harshness of prescription meds.

            A few people have spoken about the Similisan Pink Eye Relief and have had good results with it. Hopefully someone will come on and let you know about that.

          • margie
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6, 2011
              Anyes, what are you feeding your cats? ours were sick of the homemade. poked around online and found some commercial canned food they like. it seems to satisfy them much more. plus... all the neighbors are beseiged by sugar ants in the spring. it was astounding that the ants homed in on the Purina food, but not the other food i was setting out. :)margie

              --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Anyes <anyes@...> wrote:

              > HI Cheryl,
              > Iams and Purina are very low quality foods. You will get better results
              > if you switch to better foods.
              > Also, 250mg/day is not nearly enough for cats with herpes. that is a
              > maintenance dose after they are over the infection. You can go up to
              > 1000mg/day. Many of us use 500mg to 1000mg/day when there is a flare up
              > and go back to maintenance dose afterwards.
              >
              > Anyes
              >
              > On 6/5/2011 3:14 PM, cheryl wrote:
              > > Hi, Thanks for the reply. They were given 2 antibiotics a couple months ago, I don't know the names. Now I give them 250 ml lysine a day and Lactoferrin 250 mg a day. They eat purina 1 and iams low calorie/carb dry food. Thanks for your help.
              > > Sincerely, Cheryl

            • Anyes
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 7, 2011
                I know what you mean about the homemade. Mine used to love it but not
                anymore. They want to change about every 2 yrs so it's always a
                challenge to find new foods. They have had California Natural, Innova,
                and Wellness and did well on all 3. They now don't want to eat that
                anymore and are eating Trader's Joe canned and no corn kibbles (in the
                white bag). Traders Joe is very inexpensive for the quality.
                http://www.benchandfield.com/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=731
                It's not perfect but it is made with real chicken and does not have
                corn. My cats love it and digest it really well.

                The cans are .59/can and are grain free. It's a deal.

                There are other great cat foods out there. I am reposting an older post
                below.
                Wellness (look for grain-free on the label if buying canned)
                Wellness CORE (dry and canned)
                http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat-wellness.aspx

                Innova, EVO, California Natural, Healthwise, Mother Nature, Karma
                http://www.naturapet.com/

                Taste of the Wild
                http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

                Natural Balance (available at PetCo). It includes just a bit of ground
                brown rice.
                http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/home.html

                Nature's Variety, Prairie, and Instinct raw frozen and freeze dried diet
                http://www.naturesvariety.com/products/cat
                http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/cat

                Halo
                http://shop.halopets.com/Natural-Cat-Food

                Wysong
                http://www.wysong.net/healthy-natural-raw-cat-food-supplements.php

                Before grain cat food by Merrick, dry and canned food,
                http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/bg_dry_cat_food_1.php
                http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/bg_canned_cat_food_32.php

                Newman pet food
                http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/products/

                Trader’s Joe Holistic dry food (has some rice) and canned food (grain free)
                At .59c/can, it’s a deal and my cats love it. The dry food has rice, but
                no corn. They love it and the price is great.

                General web pages with various info and ingredients listings.
                http://www.consumersearch.com/cat-food/canned-cat-food
                http://www.petfooddirect.com/
                http://www.waggintails.com/

                On 6/7/2011 2:27 AM, margie wrote:
                > Anyes, what are you feeding your cats? ours were sick of the homemade. poked around online and found some commercial canned food they like. it seems to satisfy them much more. plus... all the neighbors are beseiged by sugar ants in the spring. it was astounding that the ants homed in on the Purina food, but not the other food i was setting out. :)margie
                >
                > --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Anyes<anyes@...> wrote:
                >> HI Cheryl,
                >> Iams and Purina are very low quality foods. You will get better results
                >> if you switch to better foods.
                >> Also, 250mg/day is not nearly enough for cats with herpes. that is a
                >> maintenance dose after they are over the infection. You can go up to
                >> 1000mg/day. Many of us use 500mg to 1000mg/day when there is a flare up
                >> and go back to maintenance dose afterwards.
                >>
                >> Anyes
                >>
                >> On 6/5/2011 3:14 PM, cheryl wrote:
                >>> Hi, Thanks for the reply. They were given 2 antibiotics a couple months ago, I don't know the names. Now I give them 250 ml lysine a day and Lactoferrin 250 mg a day. They eat purina 1 and iams low calorie/carb dry food. Thanks for your help.
                >>> Sincerely, Cheryl

              • Anyes
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2011
                  Here is a good primer on cat food and how to read the labels.
                  http://www.consumersearch.com/cat-food/cat-food-ingredients
                  Anyes and the snotty girls
                • margie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2011
                    YES!! that's the site i looked at and made a list from. got most of the good brands at Petco. it's much more expensive, but they all seem satisfied and eat less. thank you for posting all the sites. i hate using commercial food, but if they're sick of the homemade.. anything to keep these cats healthy!

                    --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Anyes <anyes@...> wrote:

                    > Here is a good primer on cat food and how to read the labels.
                    > http://www.consumersearch.com/cat-food/cat-food-ingredients
                    > Anyes and the snotty girls

                  • Anyes
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 5, 2011