Re: supporting data for my vet on EPO, no grains, azithromycin, higher dose lysine?

  • taillesscatrescue
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi Elaine,
      The abstract for the lysine study can be found at
      http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/Studies/FHV/EffectOfOralL-lysine.pdf

      I think you are going to find all the rest are anecdotal and there are no studies to support them. However, azithromycin is one of only a couple antibiotics that work against chlamydia, and the ophthalmologist I took my cat to thought that herpes and chlamydia (or chlamydophila as they now call it in cats) are often found together in FHV positive cats and she usually uses zithromax or doxycycline for that reason.

      Thanks,
      Kitty

      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Hanneman <ehanneman@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I told my vet about some of the things users have been writing about on this board. She asked if any of you had study data to support the following. I also told her that I would try to find out if vets were advising users to use or avoid substances recommended. --This vet is open to the ideas you have been writing about. She just wants more information. I hope you can help me/her. --Thank you!
      >
      > 1) Evening Primrose oil (and its dosage per milligram (not ml as concentrations can differ)) in herpes cats
      >
      > 2) Lysine (at 1000mg/day rather than 500mg/day) in herpes cats
      >
      > 3) avoiding grains in herpes cats
      >
      > 4) azithromycin rather than other antibiotics in herpes cats
      >
      > My vet has suggested I do the following as my cat has a small amount of yellow discharge from the right naris:
      > A) continue gentamicin nose drops (actually ocular formula) twice daily in affected naris - two drops. If he still has the purulent discharge, she has suggested a culture (first vet to do this --and I agree!!!)
      > B) give 100 IU vitamin E oil per day by mouth
      > C) 1000 mg/ lysine per day (up from his usual 500 mg --and this per writers' data from list which she accepted)
      > D) continue nasal saline drops two to three times a day (about 15 minutes prior to antibiotic drops)
      > E) try one capsule of evening primrose oil (EPO) per day (it contains 27 IU vitamin E, 1000mg oenothera biennis, and 9% gamma linolenic acid for a total of 90 mg)
      >
      > I really like my vet. She is a recent graduate and open to what works. She is also trying to be responsible and seek study data. She looked in her drug data base for a dose for EPO, but did not find one. She did find a dose limit on vitamin E --400IU.
      >
      > I appreciate your help!
      >
      > Elaine

    • Anyes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
        Hi Elaine,
        I am catching up on emails and saw yours.
        A lot of our information comes from our collective experience over many
        years with thousands of cats having gone through this.
        There is info on lysine in the medical records. Several studies have
        been done on humans with good results. I don't know that that would
        help with the dosage in cats as most studies are not geared towards
        animals generally. the qty most of us use has evolved over years
        dealing with this disease. Each cat is individual so dosages may vary also.

        Grain is high in arginine which virii need to multiply. There is also
        research I have seen on this but again it may not be geared specifically
        to cats. I will have to look at my old files and see what I have saved
        in the past.

        Anyes and the snotty girls