Re: [felineherpes] switching to wet from dry food

  • k2
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
      Today is Day One of the dry-to-wet switch for our three year old calico rescue
      cat. As Doc Pierson recommends in www.catinfo.org, all of the dry food was put
      in the refrigerator. Shooting for the moon, we decided to try the "good stuff"
      first. So Harley Cat Grrrl's first wet food this morning was a packet of
      Wellness Salmon & Tuna with (Doc Pierson recommended) FortiFlora sprinkled over
      the top. She was a bit hesitant at first but with some encouragement she did
      show interest and ate some of the meal. After that we rewarded her with a play
      session. Plan is to leave the food down for her to free-feed until supper when
      we'll try one of the other Wellness packets with FortiFlora on top. So far, so
      good...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
        Thanks for posting this. It's always good to review Dr. Pierson's website on nutrition, such good info.

        --How did day 1 go with no dry food?

        I am going to drop the 1 tablespoon daily of Innova dry food next week. Searching for some kind of crunchy treat to substitute. I give her chrunchies after Asthma treatments and she purrs the whole time! I tried the Grizzly baked salmon treats (just baked salmon) as they kind of look like dry...everybody liked them but Relay.

        I think the dry food is the favorite part of her day, but I just need to remember she would feel do much better without her chronic congestion.

        May the force be with you!

        Best Wishes,
        Lori and Relay

        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, k2 <k2_owl_107@...> wrote:

        > Today is Day One of the dry-to-wet switch for our three year old calico rescue
        > cat. As Doc Pierson recommends in www.catinfo.org, all of the dry food was put
        > in the refrigerator. Shooting for the moon, we decided to try the "good stuff"
        > first. So Harley Cat Grrrl's first wet food this morning was a packet of
        > Wellness Salmon & Tuna with (Doc Pierson recommended) FortiFlora sprinkled over
        > the top. She was a bit hesitant at first but with some encouragement she did
        > show interest and ate some of the meal. After that we rewarded her with a play
        > session. Plan is to leave the food down for her to free-feed until supper when
        > we'll try one of the other Wellness packets with FortiFlora on top. So far, so
        > good...
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Caralee
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
          There are also freeze-dried chicken pieces you can find, and they are crunchy as well. Maybe he'll like those. Congratulations on being so adamant about making the change from dry! You are doing much to for your kitty (and maybe even eventual vet bills) by keeping him on wet food. Good for you!
          Caralee

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2010
            Day One went just fine, thanks.

            Harley took to the Wellness Healthy Indulgence pouches like she has been eating
            them all of her life and seemed particularly enthusiastic about the tuna. Since
            the switch (a few days ago) I have not heard her sneeze once. Overall, she
            appears more satisfied with her new wet food. And we free-feed it to her as we
            did the old (Hill's) dry food.

            Harley has always been a bit of a clown -- racing around the house, up and down
            the stairs, and leaping to the upstairs loft from her cat tower. It may be my
            imagination. . . but it seems the new meals have the additional benefit of
            shaving some of the edge off her hyperactivity, which is drawing her even closer
            to us.

            We can only imagine the hardship she went through before being captured, put
            into a kill shelter, rescued by a 20-cat foster mom and then finally adopted by
            us.

            Waiting now for the mail arrival of the Halo Liv-A-Littles treats recommended by
            Dr. Pierson. And I will look for some of those crunchy treats Caralee
            recommends.

            I hope your Relay is feeling much better soon.

            Kind regards,
            Karen and Harley Cat Grrrl

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2010
              This is great news! It shows once again that when it comes to supporting the immune system, nutrition is the foundation. No sneezing! Yay!
              Caralee

              Thanks for posting this. It's always good to review Dr. Pierson's website on
              nutrition, such good info.

              --How did day 1 go with no dry food?

              I am going to drop the 1 tablespoon daily of Innova dry food next week.
              Searching for some kind of crunchy treat to substitute. I give her chrunchies
              after Asthma treatments and she purrs the whole time! I tried the Grizzly baked
              salmon treats (just baked salmon) as they kind of look like dry...everybody
              liked them but Relay.

              I think the dry food is the favorite part of her day, but I just need to
              remember she would feel do much better without her chronic congestion.

              May the force be with you!

              Best Wishes,
              Lori and Relay

              --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, k2 <k2_owl_107@...> wrote:

              > Today is Day One of the dry-to-wet switch for our three year old calico rescue

              > cat. As Doc Pierson recommends in www.catinfo.org, all of the dry food was put
              >
              > in the refrigerator. Shooting for the moon, we decided to try the "good stuff"
              >
              > first. So Harley Cat Grrrl's first wet food this morning was a packet of
              > Wellness Salmon & Tuna with (Doc Pierson recommended) FortiFlora sprinkled over
              >
              > the top. She was a bit hesitant at first but with some encouragement she did
              > show interest and ate some of the meal. After that we rewarded her with a play
              >
              > session. Plan is to leave the food down for her to free-feed until supper when
              >
              > we'll try one of the other Wellness packets with FortiFlora on top. So far, so
              >
              > good...
              >

              > ________________________________

            • L. Doherty
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2010
                I'm switching my girl Earth Angel to wet also.  She's taking to it OK. It's been only 3 days - still sneezing though.  Lois

                Lois & David Doherty ** Go Hokies ** contimaestra@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2010
                  Lois,
                  Congrats on Earth Angel's switch to wet food. Three-year old Harley Cat Grrrl
                  has been on "Wellness" grain free wet food for a couple of weeks. (She doesn't
                  seem to enjoy the pouches as well as the larger cans of "Wellness".) As long as
                  she continues to eat it, we'll hold with the current regimen. I do give her one
                  "Vetri-Lysine" supplement in the morning to boost her immunity. And I keep her
                  open-topped "World's Best Litter" box as clean as possible -- need to watch for
                  too much dust with this particular brand. Have not noticed any sneezing in
                  quite awhile -- a great relief to us all! :")
                  Kind regards,
                  Karen