Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes newly diagnosed

  • Kenneth Almgren
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
      You didn't mention that your Vet sent a culture out to a lab using a
      test for five upper respiratory infection causes, one being FHV. If your
      Vet did not do that, maybe they were unaware that the old unreliable
      test was improved and for about two years now we can have our URI
      suffering little ones tested and target their particular URI much more
      successfully.

      Too often lately, it seems, that Vets who try a standard antibiotic like
      Clavamox etc. and when it doesn't work, they assume without testing that
      the cat/kitten has FHV. Just because it may have a stubborn sinus
      infection that includes the eyes doesn't always mean it is FHV. For most
      of us in this group, Clavamox never worked anyway, whether we found out
      later that our cat did or did not have FHV, or had a secondary or
      primary bacterial infection.

      The test is REAL PCR. You can look it up at IDEXX Labs. Its most
      important to know what your are treating. A lingering sickness scars
      their nasal/sinus tract and or sets the cat up for chronic conditions.

      Sounding like an old school marm but hoping to help, Robin

      Deb Sandoval wrote:

      > I have a kitten from a shelter that the vet just diagnosed as having
      > feline herpes. Besides the medicine that I am to give her twice daily,
      > what else can I do to help make her more comfortable? Also, how do I
      > know when the "cold" is more than a cold? Rory sounds terrible and
      > gets a lot of gunk out pof her nose and crusty eyes. I just don't know
      > what is normal. HELP!!!

    • Anyes
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi Deb and welcome to the list,
        You will find lots of good information here.
        What medicine are you giving this kitten?

        The basic elements of care are lysine (250 to 1000mg/day), antihistamine
        if there is congestion, high quality food (no corn), antibiotics if
        there is a bacterial infection only.
        Since your kitten is congested, I would give claritin to help dry her up
        while you get her stabilized. You can take her off it later. 1/4 to
        1/2 pill per day. Start at the smaller dose and see if she gets relief,
        then up the dose if needed. You can disolve the pill in a little canned
        food or babyfood (no onions). Mine just look forward to their 'treat'.
        I put all their meds in babyfood, less than a tablespoon is enough to
        get several meds.
        You can also try to 'steam' her sinuses by putting her in the bathroom
        twice a day wtih shower running on hot. It does help open up the sinuses.

        Anyes and the snotty girls

        Deb Sandoval wrote:
        > I have a kitten from a shelter that the vet just diagnosed as having feline herpes. Besides the medicine that I am to give her twice daily, what else can I do to help make her more comfortable? Also, how do I know when the "cold" is more than a cold? Rory sounds terrible and gets a lot of gunk out pof her nose and crusty eyes. I just don't know what is normal. HELP!!!

      • Deb Sandoval
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
          Anyes,

           Thank you for the basic information. Rory is taking L-Lysine in a powder form from the vet. The claritin idea is great. I'm going to try that one! I've tried warm compresses beside her nose. I didn't see her have much relief from them. She does stay in the bathroom when I shower and loves it. In fact her sister comes in too. What kind of quality food do you feed the kittens?  I am using Iams kitten dry food. Not so easy to hide meds in. I did get some baby food for her to get meds in. Corn and onions...what is it about them that isn't good for Rory? Is it OK to disolve the meds in a little water and give it to her?  I've only done that once.

          Again, thank you for the informaton. I'm glad to have found this group.

          Deb and Rory

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
            Robin,

            My vet actually did NOT send a test to a lab. Like you said, Rory was on an antiobiotic from the shelter and then Clavmox (which hasn't calmed anything down). I will ask the vet for this information also.

            THANK YOU for the information!

            Deb and Rory

            Deb Sandoval wrote:

            > I have a kitten from a shelter that the vet just diagnosed as having
            > feline herpes. Besides the medicine that I am to give her twice daily,
            > what else can I do to help make her more comfortable? Also, how do I
            > know when the "cold" is more than a cold? Rory sounds terrible and
            > gets a lot of gunk out pof her nose and crusty eyes. I just don't know
            > what is normal. HELP!!!

          • Deb Sandoval

              Deb Sandoval wrote:

              > I have a kitten from a shelter that the vet just diagnosed as having
              > feline herpes. Besides the medicine that I am to give her twice daily,
              > what else can I do to help make her more comfortable? Also, how do I
              > know when the "cold" is more than a cold? Rory sounds terrible and
              > gets a lot of gunk out pof her nose and crusty eyes. I just don't know
              > what is normal. HELP!!!

            • Anyes
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                Hi Deb,
                Iams is not a good quality food and it does have corn. Good quality
                foods are Evo, Innova, Wellness, Prairie, etc... You can go to
                waggintails.com and look at all the choices. You don't have to buy from
                them, they just have a good listing of high quality foods for pets to
                give you an idea. When my 2 were kittens, I actually fed them home
                cooked food. It can be frozen into 2 day batches to thaw as needed.
                They did not do well on any commercial food till they were 2 yrs old.
                At the time, there were not as many options are there are now.

                Corn is high in arginine which feeds the herpes virus; onions cause
                anemia in cats... to answer your question.
                My cats always start sneezing when they eat corn, beside all the other
                issues like vomiting and diarrhea. Cats can't digest corn or grain in
                general because their intestines are very short like all carnivores.
                Grain eaters have very long intestines so that food stays in their
                digestive track for a long time.

                You can dissolve the meds in water and syringe. My cats won't go for
                that so I find the babyfood a good option for no stress medicating. If
                you keep the babyfood in the refrigerator, it is stiffer and can be
                spoon fed, plus I think the cold helps hide the taste of meds.

                Anyes and the snotty girls

                Deb Sandoval wrote:
                > Anyes,
                >
                > Thank you for the basic information. Rory is taking L-Lysine in a powder form from the vet. The claritin idea is great. I'm going to try that one! I've tried warm compresses beside her nose. I didn't see her have much relief from them. She does stay in the bathroom when I shower and loves it. In fact her sister comes in too. What kind of quality food do you feed the kittens? I am using Iams kitten dry food. Not so easy to hide meds in. I did get some baby food for her to get meds in. Corn and onions...what is it about them that isn't good for Rory? Is it OK to disolve the meds in a little water and give it to her? I've only done that once.
                >
                > Again, thank you for the informaton. I'm glad to have found this group.
                >
                > Deb and Rory

              • Trish & Rich
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                  amen, Robin. I completely agree.
                  Purrs, Tricia
                  > You didn't mention that your Vet sent a culture out to a lab using a
                  > test for five upper respiratory infection causes, one being FHV. If your
                  > Vet did not do that, maybe they were unaware that the old unreliable
                  > test was improved and for about two years now we can have our URI
                  > suffering little ones tested and target their particular URI much more
                  > successfully.
                  >
                  > Too often lately, it seems, that Vets who try a standard antibiotic like
                  > Clavamox etc. and when it doesn't work, they assume without testing that
                  > the cat/kitten has FHV. Just because it may have a stubborn sinus
                  > infection that includes the eyes doesn't always mean it is FHV. For most
                  > of us in this group, Clavamox never worked anyway, whether we found out
                  > later that our cat did or did not have FHV, or had a secondary or
                  > primary bacterial infection.
                  >
                  > The test is REAL PCR. You can look it up at IDEXX Labs. Its most
                  > important to know what your are treating. A lingering sickness scars
                  > their nasal/sinus tract and or sets the cat up for chronic conditions.
                  >
                  > Sounding like an old school marm but hoping to help, Robin
                  >

                  > Deb Sandoval wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I have a kitten from a shelter that the vet just diagnosed as having
                  >> feline herpes. Besides the medicine that I am to give her twice daily,
                  >> what else can I do to help make her more comfortable? Also, how do I
                  >> know when the "cold" is more than a cold? Rory sounds terrible and
                  >> gets a lot of gunk out pof her nose and crusty eyes. I just don't know
                  >> what is normal. HELP!!!

                  >> 07:34:00

                • Caralee
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Deb,
                    If your cat in fact HAS a bacterial infection (does he?), then Clavamox in this case probably won't help much. If there is an infection, please ask your vet to prescribe Zithromax (azithromycin). If he has never used it on a cat, we have dosage info in the files for this group, just look there. Most of us on this list have been in your position and found that zithro is by far the most effective antibiotic because it does a great job of targeting the sinus areas. (It is what children with ear infections are given). It is typically compounded into a liquid (I just use water when I did it), and a small amount given to kitty with a dropper or syringe.

                    Please let us know how it's going. And go to www.catinfo.org to learn all about nutrition and dry vs. wet foods. Our herpes kitties are more sensitive than other kitties to their nutrition and environment, and we have to do all we can to boost their immune systems. Stay with us! We welcome you and will do all we can to be of help. Finally, at the bottom of this email there is a list of websites you can visit; go to the "thensome"/herpes link for a whole lot of good information!
                    Caralee