new adopted 12 yr old cat - need diet advice

  • TR
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hi All,

      We have recently adopted a 12 year old male desexed cat.
      His past medical history is unknown but we know he has
      not received any vaccinations. We think he probably has
      a flare of cat flu since his right eye had a reddish brown
      discharge and seems sore. We took him to the vet
      and the eye has been treated. We have put him on l-lysine daily.

      We do not know what kind of diet he has been eating, but
      we have a feeling that it wasn't very good. His guardian
      was an very elderly man who is now in a nursing home so
      we offered to look after his cat.

      My query is that Sajan shows no interest at all in raw red meat.
      Fortunately he is eating the other food we have been giving him -
      EVO dry, Hills Science Teeth Diet and he loves canned fish
      (human consumption). My question is - is there a way we can
      introduce him to raw red meat? Should we introduce it slowly or at
      his age do you think he probably is unlikely to be interested?
      I think maybe he ate cooked meat scraps from his guardians plate,
      but we don't really want to feed him cooked meat, since raw meat
      is better for him.

      He is also about 1 1/2 kgs overweight but we think
      with a good diet, he might loose a little bit of weight.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance

    • m rossi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        No need to vaccinate. As for the diet, you can mix ground raw into canned food and slowly reduce the amount of canned.  Some will eat that right off the bat. You can then wean the cat from the ground onto whole chunks. Red meat isnt the only thing you can give him. Poultry is great too. Try game hen. Rabbit is a universal fav as well.

        Good luck!
        Michelle

        --

        “Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure.”

        Napoleon Hill (from "Think and Grow Rich")

        http://crescentcityanimalshelter.org/

      • Lin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
          Most of my 10 will not eat raw red meat either. I've had good luck working with feral cats with tidbits of red meat but not my own cats. They are very willing to eat ground chicken thighs, much more so than ground turkey or even chicken breast. Our holistic vet prefers that we feed them dark meat chicken or turkey.. Cats that have not had raw often need to have the change made very very slowly. In your cats case he is facing so many other changes, it might be a kind thing to do to let him have his old food for a bit and just let him adjust to his new home and people, then slowly make the food change. Any change in a cats life can be stressful for them and cause illness.
          Lin

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
            Since he is 12, his habits will be harder to change. I would strongly suggest using canned cat food, good brands with no corn, by-products, or water as the first ingredient. (I don't know where you live, so I'm not sure what brands are available to you.) Good brands in general would be Natural Balance, Innova, Wellness, and more. Just read the label to see if those things listed above are in the food; if so, find one that fits the description. They ARE out there! Since he does like canned fish, then I would look for fish-flavored canned cat food to start. The problem with human canned fish is that it doesn't contain any of the other vitamins and nutritients cats need; and tuna depletes Vitamin E in cats, which is why more is added to canned cat food (along with lots of other vitamins and minerals). So why not just buy canned cat food?

            As for the dry, that's basically okay, but I would get away from any of the Hills Science Diet foods, dry or canned. They generally contain corn, by-products, and simply are not particularly high quality (despite what the advertising wants you to believe). EVO is a great dry food, so if he likes that, stick to it. Toss the Hill's. If his teeth are bad, take him to get a teeth cleaning, which he might well need and would probably be good for him as bacteria from the mouth can affect organ function. And if any of his teeth need lots of attention, he'll feel better for a good look into his mouth. Since his owner was an elderly man, it's likely his teeth need a good look.

            I will give you a disclaimer here and say that I don't think a raw diet of red meat is that big a deal for longevity in cats. (Please don't kill the messenger! I know there are arguments for the raw as well!) But with an older cat like this guy, maybe just at least at first getting him used to canned cat food would be a good first step. When you feed raw, it seems to me you'd also need to pay lots of attention to making sure he gets nutritional supplements and other things to balance it out. High quality canned food takes care of that for you. Meanwhile, you might find some good tips about feline nutrition at www.catinfo.org, which is a really good primer on how to feed a cat and how to change its eating habits for the better.

            Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
            Caralee

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
              Dry food really is not OK. Here is very good info on why its NOT OK.

              http://catinfo.org/

              As someone who has fed HUNDREDS of cats raw, and many of them have been middle aged cats (cats around 10 years of age), I know that while some can be challenging, I have yet to find a SINGLE cat who I could not get to make the switch.

              Best,
              Michelle

              --

              “Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure.”

              Napoleon Hill (from "Think and Grow Rich")

              http://crescentcityanimalshelter.org/

            • stephanief101400
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
                I think if you could transition to a higher quality, no grain dry food like Taste of the Wild or Wellness CORE that would be a huge improvement. Then, you might try some grain free canned food (Innova EVO or Wellness grain-free) and mix in some raw ground up chicken.

                Whatever you do, you'll have to do it very, very slowly and not stress him out.

                Stephanie

              • mlharden@windstream.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
                  I have always had cats and I have a great many of them now. Half of mine came down with the virus this past summer. That was when I came across this site. I have learned a great deal reading the posts, about l-lysine, eye steroids, grain-free food. I didn't know raw meat was good for cats. I have never fed mine any. Always learning. Something new to me.

                  Mary
                  ---- stephanief101400 <savvyewe@...> wrote:
                  > I think if you could transition to a higher quality, no grain dry food like Taste of the Wild or Wellness CORE that would be a huge improvement. Then, you might try some grain free canned food (Innova EVO or Wellness grain-free) and mix in some raw ground up chicken.
                  >
                  > Whatever you do, you'll have to do it very, very slowly and not stress him out.
                  >
                  > Stephanie
                  > --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Caralee" <cgwoods@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Since he is 12, his habits will be harder to change. I would strongly suggest using canned cat food, good brands with no corn, by-products, or water as the first ingredient. (I don't know where you live, so I'm not sure what brands are available to you.) Good brands in general would be Natural Balance, Innova, Wellness, and more. Just read the label to see if those things listed above are in the food; if so, find one that fits the description. They ARE out there! Since he does like canned fish, then I would look for fish-flavored canned cat food to start. The problem with human canned fish is that it doesn't contain any of the other vitamins and nutritients cats need; and tuna depletes Vitamin E in cats, which is why more is added to canned cat food (along with lots of other vitamins and minerals). So why not just buy canned cat food?
                  > >
                  > > As for the dry, that's basically okay, but I would get away from any of the Hills Science Diet foods, dry or canned. They generally contain corn, by-products, and simply are not particularly high quality (despite what the advertising wants you to believe). EVO is a great dry food, so if he likes that, stick to it. Toss the Hill's. If his teeth are bad, take him to get a teeth cleaning, which he might well need and would probably be good for him as bacteria from the mouth can affect organ function. And if any of his teeth need lots of attention, he'll feel better for a good look into his mouth. Since his owner was an elderly man, it's likely his teeth need a good look.
                  > >
                  > > I will give you a disclaimer here and say that I don't think a raw diet of red meat is that big a deal for longevity in cats. (Please don't kill the messenger! I know there are arguments for the raw as well!) But with an older cat like this guy, maybe just at least at first getting him used to canned cat food would be a good first step. When you feed raw, it seems to me you'd also need to pay lots of attention to making sure he gets nutritional supplements and other things to balance it out. High quality canned food takes care of that for you. Meanwhile, you might find some good tips about feline nutrition at www.catinfo.org, which is a really good primer on how to feed a cat and how to change its eating habits for the better.
                  > >
                  > > Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
                  > > Caralee

                • nancy catania
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 12, 2010
                    Hi Mary,
                    I have 13 Persians and four of them have Herpes, but it is very manageable.
                    This site has been a great source of information for me too, a lot of very
                    knowledgeable people here.
                    Nancy