My cat was just diagnosed

  • bgilreath@infoave.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 6:40 AM
      Hello. I'm new to the list. I signed up because my 11 year old male
      cat was just diagnosed with this. Two weeks ago his right eye was
      looking like it had an infection. The next day it had what looked
      like red tumors growing on it. We took him the vet, and one of the
      drs there said it was a tear in his cornea and the dr sewed one of
      his clear eyelids over it. Beeb, my cat, came home the next day. A
      week later when his stitches were removed, the eye looked the same as
      it did before, if not worse. We took him back and also showed this
      dr how his other eye was starting to do the same thing. He gave us
      some ointment to put in the eyes.

      Well, then this week, the original eye was completely covered by the
      red tumor thing and his other eye was beginning to look just as bad.
      Beeb could hardly see anything. He was really lethargic and when he
      would eat, he would cough it all back up with some with white foamy
      stringy stuff. We took him back yesterday and spoke with a different
      doctor. He consulted a vet opthamologist and they decided that Beeb
      has the feline herpes. He's dehydrated and has lost a pound in two
      days.

      As of this morning when I called the vet to check on Beeb (they left
      him in overnight to rehydrate him), he was doing better. The vet
      says he will have to remove the original eye, but he doesn't want to
      do it until Beeb is feeling better. He says we will probably have to
      take him home today and bring him back Monday for the operation. He
      also told me to go to the drugstore and pick up Lysine to give him.

      Does this sound right? Is my vet doing the right thing? I'm worried
      that he isn't doing enough for Beeb and if he doesn't do something
      fast, he will lose the other eye as well. And I know nothing about
      this Lysine he told me to get!

      I appreciate any help you can give me.

      Thanks,
      Becky
    • bobby y
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 7:43 AM
        I have a lot of links on my webpage
        http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm
        I would first check with another vet...
        it just sounds very strange..but what do I know..
        your poor kitty cat
        Bobby