Question

  • STACY GALLAGHER
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2008
      I am very interested in your felineherpes group.  Last week my daughter found a 4 week old kitten in a field near our house with one eye glued shut.  She is 17 years old and within the last 6-8 weeks she also found a batch of abandoned kittens with her boyfriend which they estimated to be about two weeks old.  She nursed the herd of 8, but only 6 survived.  When she found this orphan she took him over to the location where the other kittens were being kept.  For the first little bit she kept him separated from the group, but the owner of the house decided to put him in with the much older kittens within a day and a half he was laying in the middle of the basement floor lifeless.  That's when I got involved and took him to the vet on Tuesday of this week.  He was stone cold and barely breathing when we arrived and the vet hydrated him best he could and gave us some clavamox.  He said that 12-24 hours would tell the tale as to whether he would survive.  She and I took turns keeping watch over this little creature - keeping him warm, feeding, etc and he survived.  We have been upping his formula to get him to the required 4ml per 100g of body weight per the vet's advice and he started taking 8ml of formula at a sitting last night.  His nose is so stuffed up that we have to feed him with a syringe.  Last night I was picking the formula off of his matted hair because with an upper respiratory infection I didn't want to get his head wet.  I started picking a little at the closed eye and once I had removed the crusty hair the eye opened and puss came out.  I cleaned it up and have left it alone today .  His weight dropped since we were in the vet office on Tuesday, but has started coming up since he started eating the 8ml of formula.  Even though he is weak he seems to have a will to want to live so my daughter and I are fighting to keep up his calories and keep him warm.  I called the vet this morning and told them about the eye and the weight loss, but expressed that his attitude seemed more upbeat.  I also expressed concern about loading him up in the car and removing him from an environment that seems to be giving him what he needs.  They said that the clavamox should help with any infection and the most important thing was his more upbeat attitude.  I got online to do some research and am convinced that he has felineherpes and that he has lost his eye due to an ulcerated cornea.  On Monday I will be calling first thing to get drops for his eyes.  I read through your feline herpes page and found it very helpful and informative.  Specifically, I thought that while our kitty has his URI that there might be some things I could do to boost his immune system and help him recover.  Currently, we have him isolated in a bedroom with a vaporizer running to give him a little breathing relief, but I am not sure what else we can be doing to get him through this.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    • MEL COATS
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2008
        My heart goes out to you and the little kitty! Are you giving him Lysine? What about Echinacea? The folks in this group have been a Godsend to my family and our brood. I don't post much but I always read, read, read. With him being so little, I'm not sure about the dosage of the Echinacea. The others can help better than I can. I give my cats 500 mg of Lysine twice per day when they are having a flare up and 250 mg per day for maintenance.

        Also, when I first adopted my herpes kitties, they had URI's and also with that diarhhea. Sometimes the antibiotics will upset their stomachs and their bowels. I add a bit of pure pumpkin to their food (the 100% stuff, not the pie mix). The fiber is great for getting rid of the diarhhea and the upset tummies. It also helps with hairballs, by the way.

        Good luck and let us know how he's doing!

        Mandi

        To: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
        From: somg@...
        Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:18:59 -0400
        Subject: [felineherpes]feline herpes Question

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi Stacy,
          What a blessing your daughter and you are for these little babes!!
          I too have raised orphaned kittens, as young as 4 days old.
          If you have a cat kennel, place that on top of a heating pad turned on low or medium with some old towels in the bottom. This will heat the kennel to help keep their body temp up. You will have to check it to make sure it doesn't get too hot, but once you find a warm setting you should be good. I believe that it takes about 4 weeks for these guys to maintain their own body temps.
          I googled "orphaned kittens" and found alot of very useful info when raising my orphans, which may help you now too if you give it a shot.
          Good Luck and God bless you all.
          Keep us posted!
          Kim
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
            One of the best kitten care sites is the kitten forum at The Cat Site.

            http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

            Also, the kitten care links have tons of information

            http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659

            Check them out!

            Stephanie
          • STACY GALLAGHER

              From: somg@...
              Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:18:59 -0400

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2008
                Stacy,
                I was so sorry to read your post!
                What a blessing it was for his last moments to be in a loving home,
                being cared for and loved.
                You and your daughter are very special and should feel good that
                you gave that little guy a chance.
                God Bless you and your daughter!
                Kim

                From: somg@...
                Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:18:59 -0400

[...]

              • Linda Fischbach
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Stacy, I am so, so sorry.

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Dear Stacy,
                    I am so sad about the little baby, it was so wonderful of you and your family to try to
                    help him all you could. I wish he could have made it, he would have had a loving home
                    with you but you did everything you could to save his life and god bless you for that. Nancy

                    From: STACY GALLAGHER <somg@...>

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2008
                      I am so sorry...poor little guy! You guys are wonderful kitty parents to have cared for him like you did.

                      To: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
                      From: somg@...
                      Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 06:30:51 -0500

                      From: somg@...

                      Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:18:59 -0400

[...]

                      ------------------------------------

                      http://eattheapple.com/kitty/ our kitty cats

                      http://www.thensome.com/pethealth.htm

                      http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm

                      http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm

                    • friend_of_dorothy2
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 6, 2012
                        My kitty (14 weeks) has had treatment for conjunctivitis and keratitis for 8 days. I wish I could post it. His eyes are really so much better. He sneezes less. He eats like a horse, plays, does everything normal. He has no runny nose or stains in his eyes. My questions are:

                        1. His brother likes to clean his face- is that a problem? My ophthalmologist said it is OK.
                        2. He had a little wheezing this morning, more like if someone had a stuffy nose. It went away after he sneezed. It lasted like 20 seconds.He has none now.
                        3. I am very paranoid it will come back soon. Although we don't have a crystal ball, is the first attack the worse and if I don't stress him out, can he go until he is at least a teenager without another attack? He sees his eye MD on Monday.

                        Unlike my first kitten in 1987 who had this, he is very healthy other than his eye and sometimes the sneezing. My vet says the treatments are much better than at that time.

                        Any help is appreciated. Thanks

                        Joseph
                      • tearsofheaven2005
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 5, 2013
                          Not sure where everyone is located in this group but does anyone know where I can get some Bonito fish flakes or other food enhances in harford county Maryland? My cat, Mischief who turns one today is really not eating. For a whole he was eating cooked chicken and baby food but now not always. Everything else about him is the same and good so I don't know if he's just over finicky or if it has to do with the FVR.
                        • lovesgabby
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 5, 2013
                            At a natural pet store is the best place. You can call the pet barn in annapolis and see if they know of a store near you but honestly I thought they even sold these at the petsmart. Do you have those smaller petco stores? They have largely natural stuff. If this is the same cat that was not eating a few days ago please join an assist feed group because fatty liver disease can develop pretty quickly and can be fatal. I would see a vet as the can DX if there is a real problem and give you an appetite stimulant. If male is he urinating? I suggest a stimulant as a last resort but for sure join the assist feed group. Not eating the full amount for his weight can be very serious and lead to more inappetance which turns into a vicious cycle. If he is associating eating with feeling poorly sprinkling smelly flakes on his food may not help and with the snow and weekend coming better safe than sorry with a vet visit.
                            --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "tearsofheaven2005" <queentink975@...> wrote:

                            > Not sure where everyone is located in this group but does anyone know where I can get some Bonito fish flakes or other food enhances in harford county Maryland? My cat, Mischief who turns one today is really not eating. For a whole he was eating cooked chicken and baby food but now not always. Everything else about him is the same and good so I don't know if he's just over finicky or if it has to do with the FVR.

                          • nancy.catania
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 5, 2013
                              I got mine on amazon.com
                              Nancy

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 5, 2013
                                Not sure, but here is a place you can get freeze dried chicken. It is for
                                humans, has no salt. Sounds expensive but it is the #10 can which is
                                approx. 10 inches tall by 8 inches around.

                                When I make a new batch of food, my cats try to be finicky, so I sprinkle
                                some of the stuff at the bottom that ends up powder on top.

                                Janet

                                PS: I grew up in Baltimore J

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 6, 2013
                                  Most grocery stores have them. They are next to the miso soup
                                  usually. Here Kroger and Publix carry bonita flakes. Any Asian market
                                  will have them also.
                                  Anyes and the snotty girls

                                  On 3/5/2013 5:44 PM, tearsofheaven2005 wrote:
                                  > Not sure where everyone is located in this group but does anyone know where I can get some Bonito fish flakes or other food enhances in harford county Maryland? My cat, Mischief who turns one today is really not eating. For a whole he was eating cooked chicken and baby food but now not always. Everything else about him is the same and good so I don't know if he's just over finicky or if it has to do with the FVR.

                                • Tink
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 11, 2013
                                    Is anyone in this group in or near to Baltimore,MD,

                                    Sent from my iPhone
                                  • tearsofheaven2005
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 18, 2013
                                      Does anyone have a cat with Feline Herpes and a seizure history?