Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes newbie - lysine question

  • Dani
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
      I seem to keep mine under control with 250 mg a day and 500 during
      flare-ups which are minimal this time of year. I might get a round of
      sniffles in the winter months when the cold weather is a stressor....
      inside and out. But, I've been fortunate and I believe part of the
      reason is that I have seven cats that are second generation and the
      mother (who is now spayed!)was given L-lysine during pregnancies and
      all phases of raising the litters. Thus, the kittens only had very
      mild symptoms when nursing, but none after. I'm keeping my fingers
      crossed that this continues!

      Oh, and that reminds me to check into the powdered lysine that farmers
      buy for pigs in larger quantities and allegedly without the fillers in
      the tablets.

      Dani

      > Deb - Most give 500 mg of L-Lysine a day & 1000 mg for flare ups.
      <snip>
    • squirt20147
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
        Thank you Vitalah,
        I had read somewhere that long term use wasn't recommended, but that
        was in my nutrition book for people...so I have to find out for my
        boys:)
        Deb

        -- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Vitalah <vitalah@...> wrote:

        > I haven't done it long term enough to know. What do others say? I
        > think I've seen that people give 500 mg per day when there is NOT an
        > episode, and 1000mg per day when there's an episode.
        >
        > Vitalah

      • squirt20147
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
          Thank you Jean! My folks give interferon to their FIV positive cat
          (he was indoors, but shared a good dish with the outdoor kitty)
          I have to find out if a script is needed for interferon.

          How do you all feel about the vets recommendation of a short term
          dosing of steroids? I'm weary of steroids because I know for me I
          feel awful on them the few times I'm had to take them for more than a
          week.

          Deb

          --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, jecsby@... wrote:

          > Deb - Most give 500 mg of L-Lysine a day & 1000 mg for flare ups. I
          > comes in tabs jell, and powder. There are links, to all the on-line
          > stores on Ogie's site. I buy the 500 mg tabs at Wal-Mart, cut them
          in
          > half & use a pill popper. Anything I put in Ogie's food, he knows,
          and
          > won't eat it.
          > Also it's good to give an imune system builder like oral
          Interferon, and
          > a good quality cat food.
          > ....................Jean

        • squirt20147
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
            Thank you Dani,
            What I bought this time around was I bought Solaray L-lysine because
            it seemed to have the least additives - the only other things listed
            is the gelatin capsule - which I throw away anyway, cellulose and
            magnesium stearate.
            How's that sound?
            I'll look into what you recommend too:)
            Thank you,
            Deb

          • jecsby@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
              Deb - Ogie's vet says there's nothing in L-Lysine that can hurt your
              cat, if he or she takes it forever, but she doesn't think they need it
              for maintenance, and with that I disagree.
              ........Jean
              .
              .
              .
              .

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 1, 2007
                Interferon takes a prescription. I have the info, for Island Pharmacy
                on Ogie's web site. You can get it a lot cheaper there.
                .
                I guess the steroids depend on the situation. I wouldn't give a herpes
                cat steroids it makes things worse. When Ogie first went to the vet for
                his eye ulcers he was given an ointment with steroids and his eye got a
                lot worse. As soon as they switched him to Neo-Poly-Bac, without
                steroids it cleared up.
                ...................Jean
                .
                .
                .

              • acattana@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Hi,
                  If this helps I use Douglas Labs Brand Its about the purest I've been able to
                  find and have been using it for a few years now, but I do use 1000 mg a day
                  for anyone 18 20 lb. and 500 day 11 lb. and under. I believe they will ship
                  online, I access through google.There is a pharmacy here, in this area, that
                  orders it for me and ships to me. If anyone needs an address, let me _Click to
                  play sound: Cat Purrs_ (http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/snd/ani/cat/catpurrs.mp3) know,
                  they also do a lot of compounding for our babies...........Take care

                  A Cattana

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
                    I have a nine month old Russain blue girl who recently was extremely ill and
                    was finally diagnosed with a polyp in her throat. She has been great since
                    the removal. So doc says she needs her second round of shots (so sick
                    previously that we did not want to vaccinate her). I did that 3 weeks ago, brought
                    her home and she got so sick with diarrhea and hid under the bed all day.
                    Now it is time for her third round and I am scared to death to take her back.
                    She has been through so much and is still only 4 pounds. I had to hand feed
                    her and almost lost her twice to secondary infections. The next day she was
                    back to normal after the shots, but does anyone know if she really needs the
                    third round of shots? She is an indoor cat (has never been outside since
                    rescued). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I also have a 4 year old
                    cat (herpes baby) does he need more shots or are they done forever after the
                    initial shots?

                    Thanks
                    Denise

                  • Cyndi Norwitz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Why on earth would you even consider vaccinating a sick cat who reacts
                      badly to the vaccines? Seriously. As a parent of a toddler I hear a lot
                      of pro and anti vaccination information, but even the most pro people, if
                      they have any sense at all, know that you never vaccinate a child who has
                      had a bad reaction or who is ill. Cats are no different.

                      Don't take her back for any more shots. An indoor cat will not be exposed
                      to most diseases anyway.

                      I do vaccinate cats for rabies and distemper and will consider herpes now
                      that it's in our population (for the ones that don't have it yet). But our
                      vet will not vaccinate any cat that has so much as the sniffles, and I
                      agree.

                      Your cat has been vaccinated. She has at least partial protection anyway.
                      I would definately leave her be.

                      Cyndi
                    • Terri Davis
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
                        I say no. Even my vet (who is wonderful, but I had to
                        kiss a lot of frogs before I found him), agreed no
                        more vaccinations for my indoor cats. My 11 year old
                        hasn't had shots since she was one and is very
                        healthy. My herpes kitty got shots before I adopted
                        her but will never again.... I say if your vet thinks
                        your cats need more shots, to LOOK FOR ANOTHER VET.
                        All the current research points to NO especially under
                        the circumstances in which you find your cats to be
                        in.... Terri

                        Usually I'm not so blunt. I don't mean it towards you
                        at all. I think YOU'RE fantastic! It's the vets who
                        push unnecessary vaccinations for no good reason
                        except to line their own pockets. First, they should
                        do no harm....

                        http://sims.yahoo.com/
                      • mosarski@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Thanks A Cattana - I'll check it out:)
                          Deb

                          Hi,
                          If this helps I use Douglas Labs Brand Its about the purest I've been able
                          find and have been using it for a few years now, but I do use 1000 mg a day
                          for anyone 18 20 lb. and 500 day 11 lb. and under. I believe they will ship
                          online, I access through google.There is a pharmacy here, in this area, that
                          orders it for me and ships to me. If anyone needs an address, let me _Click
                          play sound: Cat Purrs_ (_http://cdn-cf.http://cdn-http://cdn-chttp://cdhtt_
                          (http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/snd/ani/cat/catpurrs.mp3) ) know,
                          they also do a lot of compounding for our babies......they also do a lot

                          A Cattana