Scottie has a recurrent yeast infection in his ear

  • ca94nhl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      My Scottie was treated for an yeast infection (with superimposed
      bacterial infection and lots of irritation/scratching)in his right ear
      in April... it was diagnosed a couple of days after a dental
      extraction, so he was on clavamox and a gentamycin/betamethasone and
      chlortrimazole ointment for 10 days, and it cleared up. While he was
      napping this afternoon, I took a peek in his ear, and it's coming
      back, so far not a lot of itching and irritation but he's got the waxy
      good like he did before (vet diagnosed the yeast by looking at it
      under a microscope).

      Scottie's on lysine, 500 to 1000 mg daily in baby food (he's not real
      crazy about taking the second 500 mgs and usually doesn't take the
      whole dose). Does anyone else have this problem, and a solution short
      of keeping this poor boy on ear ointment forever?

      Cathy & Scottie
    • courtpchrist
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
        I was a little confused about why they were loading your kitty up with
        all that medicine for an ear yeast, but it sounds like those were
        primarily to treat other things.

        My adult cat also gets mild and periodic yeast growth in his ears.
        Your vet should send you home with one little bottle of Tresaderm that
        will last you a couple of years. Not antibiotics. You'll put those
        drops in his ears for 2 weeks, he'll hate it, but it should completely
        resolve the problem. Then you should do preventative cleaning. There
        are all sorts of natural ear cleaners, you can even just put a little
        cooking oil on a cotton ball and gently clean the ear. Or, you can
        use the Tresaderm drip just one day a month, or as you see fit.
        Tresaderm keeps for years, as long as it is stored in your
        refrigerator.

        Also, I'd try to get Scottie down to 500 mg of L-Lysine, 250 mg twice
        a day. Amp him to 750 or 1000 only when he's showing symptoms.
        What's the resistance to his taking it? L-Lysine should be tasteless,
        and can be easily crushed into a powder and mixed into food. Mine
        haven't the slightest idea that they're getting it.

        Good luck.
      • mymorgy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
          Abby had a bad ear infection and I forgot the two antibiotics she was
          put on. They cleared it up but the vet wanted to put her on another
          round of them to be safe it wouldn't recur. She went down to four
          pounds from six pounds.
          Bobby

        • CA94NHL@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
            Thanks for the solution ... I will ask my vet for some Tresaderm. I didn't
            want to use any leftovers of the MalOtic because Scottie doesn't need the
            gentamycin or the prednisone that's part of the medication ... the re-infestation is
            still early and there's no reason for overkill. The MalOtic was picked
            because of the irritation and superimposed bacterial infection at the time of
            diagnosis, and of course all of the other meds were part of the dental. So far the
            ear isn't hurting him nor is he itching it a lot or deeply.

            Scottie's funny about his lysine ... I give it to him crushed up and mixed
            into baby food, but he gets very suspicious of me if I give him baby food
            twice a day. He thinks there's something bad in the second round of baby food.
            Heck Scottie's funny about a lot of things ... we have a new kitten and Scottie
            is quite busy cleaning and playing with him, but Scottie doesn't realize he's
            11 pounds and baby Ryan is 2 1/2. ;) But Ryan is holding his own! He's got
            quite a hiss on him!

            Cathy (& silly Scottie)