Re: Lysine - ward off nose bleed due to the FVR

  • Dani
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
      Can you take the filters out of the fountains? Use bottled water so
      it doesn't do damage? The other option might be buying one of those
      cheap desktop fountains that don't have filters, but make the water
      run and gurgle. Limit their choices though. Barring that, you'll have
      to shove it down their throats one way or another, either in food or
      with a syringe. I have no trouble getting my herd to eat lysine in
      canned fish like salmon or sardines. Even raw ground beef. Have you
      ever tried the lysine yourself? It's virtually tasteless.... a tiny
      bit like salt.

      Dani

      > Problem is all my water bowls are filterd foutains. The Lysine would
      be
      > filterd out before it would do anygood. They pretty much turn thier
      > nose up and standing bowls of water most of th etime unless its
      summer.

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
        I am going to try taking out the filters. I wonder though how long one
        can let the present Lysine stay in the water before it's time to chane
        it?
      • Cyndi Norwitz
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi, I am new here. We care for a feral colony and their symptoms suggest
          most of them are infected with herpes :( Two of the latest batch of kittens
          that we've adopted (keeping inside for now) have projectile bloody snot and
          eye ooze (mostly under control, though it's been a severe symptom for some
          of the outside cats), and some upper respiratory stuff.

          I would love to put lysine in the water to help both the inside and the
          outside cats. Especially for the ones that aren't tame enough to pill, but
          also for the indoor ones that are very tame.

          What brand do you recommend and where can I get it? I live north of San
          Francisco, Calif. What dosaging?

          Thanks,
          Cyndi
        • mymorgy
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
            I have never seen anything about it in writings. Would it be too much
            of a bother to change it every other day?
            Have you tried bromelain? It is supposedly very good for sinuitis. A
            former friend, as I have mentioned before, had a lot of success using
            it. This is probably too extreme but have you thought of having your
            kitty cats nostril cauterized? I used to have a lot of nosebleeds as a
            child and finally that is what the doctor did.
            Bobby

            --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <glmk001@...> wrote:

            > I am going to try taking out the filters. I wonder though how long
            one
            > can let the present Lysine stay in the water before it's time to
            chane
            > it?

          • mymorgy
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
              Bromelain and Quercetin

              Although not all experts agree, bromelain supplements may help reduce
              nasal mucus associated with sinusitis. Bromelain is approved by the
              German Commission E for the treatment of sinus and nasal swelling
              following ENT surgery.

              Often, bromelain is used together with quercetin, a flavonoid (plant
              pigment responsible for the colors found in fruits and vegetables)
              that has anti-histamine properties and is, therefore, helpful if your
              sinus symptoms are related to allergies.

              Lactobacillus species

              Lactobacillus species (probiotics, or "friendly" bacteria) can be a
              useful adjunct for the treatment of respiratory infections such as
              sinusitis and for reducing your chances of developing allergies.

              N-Acetylcysteine

              Cysteine is an essential amino acid found in many proteins. N-
              acetylecysteine (NAC), a modified form of cysteine, appears to reduce
              inflammation in mucus membranes, such as that seen with sinus
              congestion. Theoretically, therefore, taking an NAC supplement may
              help reduce symptoms of sinusitis. This theory needs scientific study
              before specific recommendations can be made.

              --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "mymorgy" <mymorgy@...> wrote:

              > I have never seen anything about it in writings. Would it be too
              much
              > of a bother to change it every other day?
              > Have you tried bromelain? It is supposedly very good for sinuitis.
              > former friend, as I have mentioned before, had a lot of success
              using
              > it. This is probably too extreme but have you thought of having
              your
              > kitty cats nostril cauterized? I used to have a lot of nosebleeds
              as a
              > child and finally that is what the doctor did.
              > Bobby
              >

              > --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <glmk001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am going to try taking out the filters. I wonder though how
              long
              > one
              > > can let the present Lysine stay in the water before it's time to
              > chane
              > > it?

            • mymorgy
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Cyndi Norwitz <cyndi@...> wrote:

                > Hi, I am new here. We care for a feral colony and their symptoms
                suggest
                > most of them are infected with herpes :( Two of the latest batch of
                kittens
                > that we've adopted (keeping inside for now) have projectile bloody
                snot and
                > eye ooze (mostly under control, though it's been a severe symptom
                for some
                > of the outside cats), and some upper respiratory stuff.
                >
                > I would love to put lysine in the water to help both the inside and
                the
                > outside cats. Especially for the ones that aren't tame enough to
                pill, but
                > also for the indoor ones that are very tame.
                >
                > What brand do you recommend and where can I get it? I live north
                of San
                > Francisco, Calif. What dosaging?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Cyndi

              • Dani
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                  I also change the water daily, and would think that to be the best way
                  to ensure the lysine is still viable. What I put in the water is
                  actually in addition to the dosing in their food, as I am never
                  exactly sure who is eating what amount.

                  As to echinacea, be careful about using it regularly. It should only
                  be used for short periods of time, even in humans.

                  Sounds to me like your handling the feral cat situation as best as is
                  possible! Good job. I can definitely relate to your concerns. I'm
                  already starting to stew over trapping and neutering four of the
                  outies who have herpes. How do you find a vet who deals with that
                  contagion issue at his office?

                  Dani
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                    > This is probably too extreme but have you thought of having your
                    > kitty cats nostril cauterized?

                    No, that's not an option with her. She is a very petite cat and her
                    nose passages are very small. Very intrusive surgery would be required
                    and she already deal with BP and a heart murmur.

                    We will look into the various lysine applications. There has to be
                    someway to make her life more comfortable and deal with these bleeds.

                    Thanks.
                  • pr628@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                      I use Quercitin with Bromelain and haven't found any problems with it.

                      Paula

                      Although not all experts agree, bromelain supplements may help reduce
                      nasal mucus associated with sinusitis. Bromelain is approved by the
                      German Commission E for the treatment of sinus and nasal swelling
                      following ENT surgery.

                      Often, bromelain is used together with quercetin, a flavonoid (plant
                      pigment responsible for the colors found in fruits and vegetables)
                      that has anti-histamine properties and is, therefore, helpful if your
                      sinus symptoms are related to allergies.

                      Lactobacillus species

                      Lactobacillus species (probiotics, or "friendly" bacteria) can be a
                      useful adjunct for the treatment of respiratory infections such as
                      sinusitis and for reducing your chances of developing allergies.

                      N-Acetylcysteine

                      Cysteine is an essential amino acid found in many proteins. N-
                      acetylecysteine (NAC), a modified form of cysteine, appears to reduce
                      inflammation in mucus membranes, such as that seen with sinus
                      congestion. Theoretically, therefore, taking an NAC supplement may
                      help reduce symptoms of sinusitis. This theory needs scientific study
                      before specific recommendations can be made.

                      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "mymorgy" <mymorgy@...> wrote:

                      > I have never seen anything about it in writings. Would it be too
                      much
                      > of a bother to change it every other day?
                      > Have you tried bromelain? It is supposedly very good for sinuitis.
                      > former friend, as I have mentioned before, had a lot of success
                      using
                      > it. This is probably too extreme but have you thought of having
                      your
                      > kitty cats nostril cauterized? I used to have a lot of nosebleeds
                      as a
                      > child and finally that is what the doctor did.
                      > Bobby
                      >

                      > --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <glmk001@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am going to try taking out the filters. I wonder though how
                      long
                      > one
                      > > can let the present Lysine stay in the water before it's time to
                      > chane
                      > > it?

                      across the web, free AOL Mail and more.
                    • mymorgy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                        thanks for writing that...my friend didn't have problems either and
                        it helped her kitty cat big time where nothing else helped. We shared
                        the same vet(that is how we met) and he couldn't help her with her
                        cat's sinus and said that was one of his biggest stumbling blocks.
                        I think we all know that we should show caution with herbs and
                        supplements. For herbs, I think the rule of thumb is two weeks on and
                        two weeks off although I have heard of people being successful with
                        their cats with no time off.
                        Bobby

                        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, pr628@... wrote:

                        > I use Quercitin with Bromelain and haven't found any problems with
                        it.

                        > Paula

                        __

                      • Laureen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                          i took the filter out of mine when i started adding the lysine to the
                          water.

                          Laureen

                          "There are but two refuges from the miseries of life; music and cats."
                          - Albert Schweitzer >^.,.^<

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                            I still swear by a humidifier in my study.... the congested and
                            snifflers (and in your case, the nosebleeders) would spend the night
                            in that room for a good sleep with moist air. Does a world of good
                            for them when their noses and lungs are irritated.

                            Dani