[felineherpes]feline herpes Re: Several questions from newbie member ..and thanks

  • Cathy Barlow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi all..Pirate's one ear is all scabby, crusted on the inside..close
      to the edge. Just noticed it the other day. He has scratched alot of
      the fur off. Just the right ear. I tried swabbing some mineral oil
      in there with a q-tip..but saw nothing. I'm ready to make yet
      another appointment for him..could it be mites? How do they get him?
      He doesn't go out, Marvin does..yet Marv's ears are fine. Pirate's
      one ear almost has "alligator" texture to it!

      Cathy

      clean the ears well with it. For mites, use some
      > olive oil, let it set in the ear for a few minutes, then clean
      out.
      > (just get it in there with a cotton swab, setting a minute helps
      kill
      > the mites). These simple fixes usually work well unless it's
      something
      > else. You may have to repeat a few times. In case it is yeast
      and it
      > recurs, check the food you are feeding for yeast content. It
      could
      > cause it.
      >
      > Paula

      Enisyl-F
      > is high
      > in calories?
      >
      > I'm guessing from everyone's posts that there's nothing wrong with
      the
      > Enisyl-F beyond it being more costly than other forms of lysine?
      Am I
      > right about
      > that?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Catherine

      ___
      > security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos
      from
      > across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

    • Jamie McNichol
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        When my cat irritates her ears from scratching the inside for whatever
        reason, (earwax build up, allergies) I put witch-hazel on a cotton ball and
        rub the inside as well as outside. Witch hazel soothes and does not sting
        irritated skin on cats. My cat's ears are also covered in brown goop, it is
        not ear mites its wax. Over production of wax in the ears is typical in
        herpes carriers-especially in chronic cases.

        Jamie

        Hi all..Pirate's one ear is all scabby, crusted on the inside..close
        to the edge. Just noticed it the other day. He has scratched alot of
        the fur off. Just the right ear. I tried swabbing some mineral oil
        in there with a q-tip..but saw nothing. I'm ready to make yet
        another appointment for him..could it be mites? How do they get him?
        He doesn't go out, Marvin does..yet Marv's ears are fine. Pirate's
        one ear almost has "alligator" texture to it!

        Cathy

        clean the ears well with it. For mites, use some
        > olive oil, let it set in the ear for a few minutes, then clean
        out.
        > (just get it in there with a cotton swab, setting a minute helps
        kill
        > the mites). These simple fixes usually work well unless it's
        something
        > else. You may have to repeat a few times. In case it is yeast
        and it
        > recurs, check the food you are feeding for yeast content. It
        could
        > cause it.
        >
        > Paula

        ___
        > security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos
        from
        > across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

        http://eattheapple.com/kitty/ our kitty cats
        http://www.thensome.com/pethealth.htm
        http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm
        http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm
        http://www.thensome.com/felinehealthlinks.htm
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • jecsby@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          The brown goop is what Ogie has and it's waxy. It's from the herpes.
          It doesn't seem to hurt or itch. Ear mites look more like coffee
          grounds. I don't know about a yeast infection. but someone said it was
          yellow.
          ..............Jean

        • pr628@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
            Hi Cathy,
            If he is scratching his ear up like that it is a good chance he has ear
            mites. The vets will usually treat them with Ivermectin for mites.
            You can also use Frontline spray and clean the ears with it. There is
            also an herbal wash called Halo ear wash that is recommended in my
            homeopathic book as well as some herbal drops and oil washes, etc. If
            it is mites you probably want to treat both cats in case. I did some
            reading with all these ear things going on and from what I've read, it
            appears they are prone to mites and all kinds of ear infections because
            of lowered immune systems. Something we all already know. Probably a
            diagnosis by the vet would be good and then keep it in check naturally
            if you can. I've seen rescue cats come in with mites and they really
            tear their ears up because it itches so much. Hope Pirate is ok, he
            deserves a break with all he's been thru :-) Since you didn't see
            anything, maybe he had some kind of allergy thing going on? I know you
            have a good vet, so let us know what he says if you take him in.

            Paula

            Hi all..Pirate's one ear is all scabby, crusted on the inside..close
            to the edge. Just noticed it the other day. He has scratched alot of
            the fur off. Just the right ear. I tried swabbing some mineral oil
            in there with a q-tip..but saw nothing. I'm ready to make yet
            another appointment for him..could it be mites? How do they get him?
            He doesn't go out, Marvin does..yet Marv's ears are fine. Pirate's
            one ear almost has "alligator" texture to it!

            Cathy

            clean the ears well with it. For mites, use some
            > olive oil, let it set in the ear for a few minutes, then clean
            out.
            > (just get it in there with a cotton swab, setting a minute helps
            kill
            > the mites). These simple fixes usually work well unless it's
            something
            > else. You may have to repeat a few times. In case it is yeast
            and it
            > recurs, check the food you are feeding for yeast content. It
            could
            > cause it.
            >
            > Paula

            ___