Re: furthering the cause....

  • Lucinda
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, jecsby@... wrote:

      > Lucinda - Thanks! I put the link in Ogie's web site.
      > .
      > Does anyone know if Azithromycin is a relative, of Zithromax?
      > .................Jean>

      Zithromax is a brand name and Azithromycin is the generic, so I guess
      they are related.

      Lucinda
    • Mechelle
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
        If you are on that site, there is only one form of zithromax that is
        a suspension. I have not yet received my order, as it can take 2-4
        weeks. As far as dosing instructions,
        http://www.vetinfo.com/catrespir.html (press ctrl+f and type in
        Zithromax. that will take you straight to the line that has the
        dosing amounts) As far as using the suspension, 1/2 ml/day is what
        one breeder I have talked with has recommended.
        Azithromycin (200mg/5ml Dry Syrup) is the one I ordered. the 7.5 and
        15 in the far column refers to how much is in the bottle once water
        has been added to it.
        I'd like to toss in another form of l-lysine (if i've already
        mentioned this, please ignore) that might be workable. Instead of
        enisyl-f, which is pricy, look for viralys. it is available in two
        forms: gel (my picky siamese loves the flavor, but I've administered
        it like it was petromalt when necessary) and granule (I sprinkle
        this on both wet and dry food so that both cats get some..esp the
        OSH since she still likes canned food). My OSH will even lick the
        inside of the container for the granule form. She loves the granules.
        www.vetamerica.com and www.calvetsupply.com are good places to order
        it from. calvetsupply is quite impressive with how quickly they get
        things to you.
        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy" <dorothy44035@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Mechelle, I would like to order this Zithromax for my cat
        Pretty Boy.
        > Can you tell me what milligram you ordered? I give him 1000 mg. L-
        Lysine
        > daily and he still gets a flare up about every 6 weeks. I have a
        > prescription from Akron Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital for
        Azithromycin
        > ophthalmic solution 1% and I have called about 40 compounding
        pharmacies and
        > no one has it or can do it. Even the Vet Hospital can't make it.
        They say
        > the equipment to do this cost about $30,000.00. I decided I will
        go the
        > pill or liquid or whatever to get him some help. Thanks,
        Dorothy

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
          Talk to your vet about switching forms or if he has any other
          resources for getting it in an opthalmic solution.
          While the following article is not feline related, it does speak of
          opthalmic solutions of zithromax and may be interesting. I merely
          googles azithormax opthalmic solution.
          http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents100/Yr2005/Mar2005/030105/6861411_Eye
          030105.htm
          wrote:

          > Dear Mechelle, I would like to order this Zithromax for my cat
          Pretty Boy.
          > Can you tell me what milligram you ordered? I give him 1000 mg. L-
          Lysine
          > daily and he still gets a flare up about every 6 weeks. I have a
          > prescription from Akron Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital for
          Azithromycin
          > ophthalmic solution 1% and I have called about 40 compounding
          pharmacies and
          > no one has it or can do it. Even the Vet Hospital can't make it.
          They say
          > the equipment to do this cost about $30,000.00. I decided I will
          go the
          > pill or liquid or whatever to get him some help. Thanks,
          Dorothy

          10/31/2006

        • mistapurr
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
            You can get more Enisyl-F from Amazon.com. I got a box of 4 tubes
            for $17 plus a small S/H fee--- much cheaper than the $24 for ONE
            tube that my vet charged me!!!

            http://www.amazon.com/Enisyl-F-4-syringes/dp/B000ACOD4W/sr=8-
            2/qid=1162472984/ref=sr_1_2/104-4743116-2331919?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

            Hope this helps!
            Patricia & Mista Purr

            -- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "louanscotch" <louanscotch@...>
            wrote:

            > Today I got a prescription from my Vet for Zythromax for my cat. I
            > had the prescription filled at WalMart. The dosage prescribed is
            > 0.375ML twice a day (meaning every 12 hours) for 21 days. I just
            got
            > enough antibiotic for 10 days as this medication, which has been
            > mixed with sterile water by the pharmacist, cannot last any longer
            > than 10 days. I will have to get a refill at the same drugstore in
            > 10 days for the rest of the prescription.
            > Another interesting fact is that I was administering L-lysine to my
            > cat by breaking the capsule and mixing the powder with laxatone to
            > administer it to Scotch. My vet sold me a product called Enisyl-F,
            > Oral paste for cats which contains L-Lysine which has to be
            > administered with a syringe. By the way, the paste is already in a
            > syringe which makes it easy to make the cat eat it. There are 250
            MG
            > of L-Lysine per ml in a highly palatable base. Dosage recommended
            > for an adult cat is 1 Ml, twice a day for 2 months.
            > The vet also prescribed an ophthalmic solution called Tobrex 0.3%
            > Tobramycin. Dosage : 2 drops in each eye and each nostril three
            > times a day for three weeks.
            > I will let you know how these new medications work for my dear
            > Scotch.
            > Hope this can help some of you.

          • Barbara Turner
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
              I can't believe your vet charges $24.00 per tube. My vet charges me $25.00 for a whole box of four tubes. And it is just a 10 minute drive from the house. You should call other vets in your area. Your vet is making a killing on meds!!!!!

              BT

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006
                I was in a pinch and needed it ASAP so I bought the one tube... then
                later found out about getting it on Amazon, 4 tubes for $17.
                Needless to say I was pretty shocked at the price difference. I'd
                also had him in for 3 nights for cystitis, complete with X-rays,
                urinalyses, CBCs, acetifiers, being microchipped and a bath, steroids
                to reduce the inflammation, and a 24 pack of the Science Diet C/D can
                food he told me to switch to (which I have since switched from) ran
                me $910.

                Then I went back for the L-lysine as the stress of being at the vets,
                and the steroids to reduce the bladder inflammation, brough out his
                herpes. The L-lysine was $24, and $36 for the Clavamox. Then $110
                for the Trifluoridine eye drops from Eckerd (that one I knew to
                expect).

                And the vet KNOWS that I am a student on a very limited budget; you'd
                think that would make him cutback the enormous profitmargin
                somewhat. He drives a Jaguar and this is NY, I guess.

                Hello Mastercard... :( Fortunately I'm finishing up internship this
                December and starting a temp job Jan-Apr.

                I'd actually switched to this vet from another one that quoted me
                $600 when I first got Perseus as a kitten and he immediately got sick
                with the herpes- upper respiratory, secondary bacterial respiratory,
                severe conjunctivitis... vet's for 7 days/6 nites- and it ended up
                being $1700 (not including the initial $300 visit). Plus they lied
                about the interest rate and grace period for the GE Care Credit Card
                they had me sign up for to pay for it all.

                That first vet (two years ago) was Bayside Veterinary Clinic,
                affiliated with Central Veterinary Clinic in Queens & Long Island.

                Maybe with all the vets that seem oh-so-eager to deceive, mislead, or
                just charge an exorbitant amount of money, and with the ones that
                somehow know next to NOTHING about feline herpes, we should start a
                forum about good & bad vets? I for one would certainly find it
                helpful!!!

                Patricia "Mista Purr"

                --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Turner <bturner0505@...>
                wrote:

                > I can't believe your vet charges $24.00 per tube. My vet charges me
                $25.00 for a whole box of four tubes. And it is just a 10 minute
                drive from the house. You should call other vets in your area. Your
                vet is making a killing on meds!!!!!

                > BT
                >
                > mistapurr <patriciapazsint@...> wrote:
                > You can get more Enisyl-F from Amazon.com. I got a box of
                4 tubes
                > for $17 plus a small S/H fee--- much cheaper than the $24 for ONE
                > tube that my vet charged me!!!
                >
                > http://www.amazon.com/Enisyl-F-4-syringes/dp/B000ACOD4W/sr=8-
                > 2/qid=1162472984/ref=sr_1_2/104-4743116-2331919?ie=UTF8&s=home-
                garden

                > Hope this helps!
                > Patricia & Mista Purr
                >
                > -- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "louanscotch" <louanscotch@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Today I got a prescription from my Vet for Zythromax for my cat.
                > > had the prescription filled at WalMart. The dosage prescribed is
                > > 0.375ML twice a day (meaning every 12 hours) for 21 days. I just
                > got
                > > enough antibiotic for 10 days as this medication, which has been
                > > mixed with sterile water by the pharmacist, cannot last any
                longer
                > > than 10 days. I will have to get a refill at the same drugstore
                in
                > > 10 days for the rest of the prescription.
                > > Another interesting fact is that I was administering L-lysine to
                my
                > > cat by breaking the capsule and mixing the powder with laxatone
                > > administer it to Scotch. My vet sold me a product called Enisyl-
                F,
                > > Oral paste for cats which contains L-Lysine which has to be
                > > administered with a syringe. By the way, the paste is already in
                > > syringe which makes it easy to make the cat eat it. There are 250
                > MG
                > > of L-Lysine per ml in a highly palatable base. Dosage recommended
                > > for an adult cat is 1 Ml, twice a day for 2 months.
                > > The vet also prescribed an ophthalmic solution called Tobrex 0.3%
                > > Tobramycin. Dosage : 2 drops in each eye and each nostril three
                > > times a day for three weeks.
                > > I will let you know how these new medications work for my dear
                > > Scotch.
                > > Hope this can help some of you.

              • louanscotch
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 13, 2006
                  I have very good news to share with you. Scotch has been on
                  Zithromax for 10 days and the vet advised me to discontinue the
                  medication considering how well Scotch was doing. I am still putting
                  drops in her eyes and nostrils twice a day plus administreting 250
                  mg of L-Lysine (Enisyl-F)twice a day. Her situation really improved.
                  No more sneezing, nor coughing, nor infection coming out of her
                  nose. She is more playful and such a darling cat. Thanks to all of
                  you for such precious information. My vet didn't know about
                  zithromax but precribed it at my request, after I read about it on
                  Ogie's website. The vet kept calling every other nights, to see how
                  Scotch was reacting to it. He mentioned that he also contacted the
                  Pfizzer Company to inquire about the drug. The Company advised him
                  that even though the drug is intented for human beings, several
                  people have reported having good results when administering it to
                  cats.
                  Thanks again from Scotch and Louan.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                    I am asking for your help once more. Scotch was doing very well for a
                    while and then the infection was back. I contacted the vet who said she
                    could take Zithromax for 7 days this time. Of course I continued
                    administering Enisyl twice a day, plus putting drops in her eyes and
                    nostrils (Tobrex 0.3%). She has been taking Zithromax from Dec. 2nd
                    until yeasterday Dec. 9. She is ok now, the infection seems to have
                    cleared up but she still coughs a bit, and her eyes get watery.
                    Secretions coming out of her nose are clear, so there must not be
                    infection any more. When she coughs though I can hear that there is
                    still something on her lungs. I live in Gatineau Quebec Canada. My
                    English is limited as you probably can tell by my posts. I am asking if
                    someone would be kind enough to tell me step by step what else I can try
                    so that she wouldn't get the infection so often. I read in this Forum
                    that someone has a cat that didn't get infection for over 7 months now.
                    I wish that person could explain to me exactly what he/she is doing, at
                    what frequency, etc.... I am also wondering if Benadryl and Interferon
                    could help keep Scotch clear of infection. If you think it could help I
                    would contact my vet to get a prescription and also find out how much I
                    can give her since she only weighs about 3 to 4 pounds maximum.

                    Thank you in advance. Your help is much appreciated.

                    Would you please be kind enough to tell me what else can be done
                    wrote:

                    > I have very good news to share with you. Scotch has been on
                    > Zithromax for 10 days and the vet advised me to discontinue the
                    > medication considering how well Scotch was doing. I am still putting
                    > drops in her eyes and nostrils twice a day plus administreting 250
                    > mg of L-Lysine (Enisyl-F)twice a day. Her situation really improved.
                    > No more sneezing, nor coughing, nor infection coming out of her
                    > nose. She is more playful and such a darling cat. Thanks to all of
                    > you for such precious information. My vet didn't know about
                    > zithromax but precribed it at my request, after I read about it on
                    > Ogie's website. The vet kept calling every other nights, to see how
                    > Scotch was reacting to it. He mentioned that he also contacted the
                    > Pfizzer Company to inquire about the drug. The Company advised him
                    > that even though the drug is intented for human beings, several
                    > people have reported having good results when administering it to
                    > cats.
                    > Thanks again from Scotch and Louan.
                    >
                    > --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "louanscotch" louanscotch@
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Today I got a prescription from my Vet for Zythromax for my cat. I
                    > > had the prescription filled at WalMart. The dosage prescribed is
                    > > 0.375ML twice a day (meaning every 12 hours) for 21 days. I just
                    > got
                    > > enough antibiotic for 10 days as this medication, which has been
                    > > mixed with sterile water by the pharmacist, cannot last any longer
                    > > than 10 days. I will have to get a refill at the same drugstore in
                    > > 10 days for the rest of the prescription.
                    > > Another interesting fact is that I was administering L-lysine to
                    > my
                    > > cat by breaking the capsule and mixing the powder with laxatone to
                    > > administer it to Scotch. My vet sold me a product called Enisyl-F,
                    > > Oral paste for cats which contains L-Lysine which has to be
                    > > administered with a syringe. By the way, the paste is already in a
                    > > syringe which makes it easy to make the cat eat it. There are 250
                    > MG
                    > > of L-Lysine per ml in a highly palatable base. Dosage recommended
                    > > for an adult cat is 1 Ml, twice a day for 2 months.
                    > > The vet also prescribed an ophthalmic solution called Tobrex 0.3%
                    > > Tobramycin. Dosage : 2 drops in each eye and each nostril three
                    > > times a day for three weeks.
                    > > I will let you know how these new medications work for my dear
                    > > Scotch.
                    > > Hope this can help some of you.

                  • Linda Johnson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                      Hi Mechelle/All,

                      I was wondering how the zithromax from brandmeds.com
                      is. I noticed that Mechelle (and others?) ordered
                      this back in October and at the time of the messages
                      had not yet received it. How long does it take to
                      arrive and was there any trouble in the ordering
                      process? I really want to try the zithromax and the
                      suspension seems like the easiest way to administer
                      it. Unfortunately my vet doesn't carry the zithromax
                      and the last time I got some a couple of years ago
                      they had to have it compounded and it cost me $50.

                      Thanks,
                      Linda

                      --- Mechelle <mechelle@...> wrote:

                      > If you are on that site, there is only one form of
                      > zithromax that is
                      > a suspension. I have not yet received my order, as
                      > it can take 2-4
                      > weeks.
                      > > Zithromax is the brand name.
                      > > I ordered mine, in suspension form from
                      > www.brandmeds.com

                      Cheap talk?
                      http://voice.yahoo.com
                    • dhob505@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                        I just wanted to share something with the group. I order beef flavored lysine and Idrox eyedrops from a compounding pharmacy in TX. I need the compounding pharmacy for the lysine flavoring. Anyway, just wanted you all to know that if/when you need a compounding pharmacy, check the price at the pharmacy your vet suggests and Veterinary Pharmacies of America (877-838-7979). I have temporarily moved from NM to Alexandria VA and the place my vet in VA uses (and people don't know any better) literally quadruples (or more) the price of meds. I expect this area to be more expensive but this is ridiculous. The eyedrops went from $22 in NM to $74 in VA. The lysine went from $20 for 120ml bottle to $44 for a 30ml bottle. Sure would like to know if my VA vet clinic profits from this local pharmacy.

                        Diana

                        --- Mechelle <mechelle@...> wrote:

                        > If you are on that site, there is only one form of
                        > zithromax that is
                        > a suspension. I have not yet received my order, as
                        > it can take 2-4
                        > weeks.
                        > > Zithromax is the brand name.
                        > > I ordered mine, in suspension form from
                        > www.brandmeds.com

                        Cheap talk?
                        http://voice.yahoo.com

                      • Mechelle
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                          It took longer than 4 weeks to arrive. By that time, I had convinced
                          the vet to order zith in a children's suspension. Prada went through
                          two weeks, with a couple weeks in between each dosing cycle. I also
                          gave it to Jasmine to be on the safe side. Since then, I have not
                          seen Jasmine sneeze or cough enough to worry me any. (days go by in
                          between episodes...prior to Prada's arrival, the only reason she'd
                          sneeze was because she had smelled something too deeply) Prada has
                          since gone through another week's worth of zith. I only resort to
                          giving it to her when I see her sneeze or cough several days in a
                          row. I suspect I won't give it to her again. I do wonder if there
                          isn't something out there that could be used as a safe decongestant.
                          I mostly hear/see Prada cough. It sounds congested and it also
                          sounds like she coughs stuff out of her throat then swallows. If
                          that sounds like something other than a sickness-related cough, I'd
                          appreciate the input. If she has sneezed, it has been much smaller
                          sneezes.
                          --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Linda Johnson <linnylouwo@...>