Re: Having our kitten's eye removed :(

  • Aimee Aranguren
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      first off, i want you to know that in the beginning when dealing with a Herpes cat, it can seem like it will never get better or easier. But it will eventually. You are doing SUCH a good job taking care of Bubbles. I'm sorry to hear about the eye surgery. I have not had personal experience with eye removal surgery or severe eye infections. You vet might be right, however, a second opinion never hurt anybody - it only helps. Medications can sometimes do wonders. I do not know which medications will work best, but there are tons of this list that have had experience with severe eye problems. I am very glad you are making the Human Society pay. They should! I made them pay 75% of my expenses for Boots first two months because they gave me a cat with Herpes and pneumonia. I love recusing them from the Humane Society, but you have to be so careful. Sorry Im blabbing...back to the important issue at hand. I hope the surgery goes well and one of my favorite cats was my best friends cat who
      had her eye removed. she was the sweetest of the bunch. also, i would try Feliway. I was about to buy it actually because it says it can eliminate stratching. I KNOW it helps ease stress, so for you, I think it would help ease tension between your two cats and it would be good for Bubbles during this hard time and if necessary after surgery. As for preventing Herpes in your non Herpes kitty, besides the vaccines - do 500 mg of Lysine. You can by it in a pill, capsule, powder, or paste form. Just make sure to get Pure Lysine. The ingredients should only say Lysine. Good luck. I will be praying for Bubbles.

      P.S. - My cats have begun to stratch up my couches. I trimmed their nails very very carefully and I used sticky paws on the couches (sticky clear pieces of material to put on furniture). however, they simply stratch where there isnt sticky paws. soooooo, i have had a friend of mine suggest Feliway for stratching. I went to their website and they said they can eliminate urine marking (thank goodness that is not a problem) and stratching. So what do you guys think? Feliway for stratching?

    • keithsmom50
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
        Amber - I have four cats; one of them (not my herpes cat) had an eye
        removed because of untreated conjunctivitis before I adopted her. My
        point of view is a little different than some of the others who have
        posted, so I thought I'd add my comments. All of my cats are
        all-indoor (except for an upper-floor deck on occasion). I've heard
        that any herpes cats should be indoor cats if at all possible, because
        of their weakened immune systems. This would be doubly so with a
        one-eyed kitten, who might have problems defending herself. If your
        kitty stays inside and is losing the eye at a young age -- and I'm
        assuming your vet is right and the eye is totally sightless -- I
        believe she will quickly adjust and have a happy life even if she has
        the surgery. My one-eyed cat is very active and has absolutely no
        trouble getting around. She knows that she can't leap to the top of
        the kitty tower, but she can make ordinary jumps (onto the bed, on the
        table -- alas!) with no problems. Based on my experience, if the eye
        is truly useless to her, my vote would be to have the surgery now to
        avoid any future risks and to have it done while you can afford it.
        That said, I certainly agree that a second opinion is worth getting
        before you make a final decision.