Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Re: Is it Herpes?

  • Kenneth Almgren
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      Tara. my cats were on Chlorophenical for 4 months and it came right
      back. Zithromax is more effective against whatever the secondary
      infection bacteria is that my Herpes cats catch. My Vet even did a
      culture and that is supposed to show which bacterias are in the nasal
      tract causing the congestion and which antibiotics are recommended yet
      Chlorophenical, Clyndamycin, and can't remember the first one we tried,
      worked when the cats were getting it but as soon as the antibiotic was
      stopped, the infection came right back. I lost two cats that were so
      sick the relapse was too much. I think if I had known how to use
      Zithromax then, I might not have lost them. Sometimes even the sickest
      ones need a little more Zithromax. And, we have always been on 500mg.
      LLysine except a short period after the Zithromax I thought they were so
      good that maybe the LLysine wasn't called for but I rethought that
      (remembered what my Vet said about it, and what the good people on this
      list have said) and feel it is good to help keep down the virus' ability
      to compromise the cat's immune system. Robin

    • Aimee Aranguren
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        im with kenneth. go with zithromax. like i think someone has said before, zithromax is normally used for humans, but recently it has been used in cats. some vets dont even know about it. i looked up stuff online about zithromax and printed it out and brought it to my vet. She then realized Zithromax was worth a try. I hope you are able to obtain it. I can't believe your vet situation. I have always said about how nice it would be to live in a small mountain town, but I definetely did not think about the vet problem. when my Boots was sick with his eye, he was on medication for a month and then he was ok for a whole two weeks. I don't give my kitties vitamin C or echinaecha (SP?) , but maybe you should try that especially since your kitty keeps getting reinfected. I dont know what doses to give, but Im sure someone will email and let you know. good luck and please realize you are being a great mom and are doing your best!

      • Katya Longobardi
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
          To Tara:

          I hope someone has answered you already. YES it sounds just like herpes. You
          shoudl immediately put all your cats on 1000mg of l-lysine paste get it from
          the vet. MY cat just licked it right up no problem. Also put them all on
          250mg of vitamin C also make sure they are all on high quality cat food. I
          changed mine to nutro natural..he loves it!!

          I wish you luck please keep me posted..also give them artifical tears.
          Somtimes the drugs we give them make them worse. When its a virus you need
          anti virals not anti botics. Just be aware that vets are trained to sell us
          drugs. Please note: my cat had herpes that started out as URI. His third
          eyes were swollen and mucsy and he was sneezing alot. I gave him only the
          l-lysine, vit C and tears. Wiht NO preservatives, very important.

          Good luck...again let me know how it turns out!!