RE: [felineherpes]feline herpes bengals with FHV

  • Caralee Woods
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Don't give liquid, perhaps. I find giving liquid MUCH harder than pills. I would try pills---get that darned pill into her mouth (slick it up with a bit of butter to make it easier) and shove that baby right down that gullet. Approach it as if you're the boss! I do this with cats who don't want it done all the time, and find that if they know that I'm going to win, they calm down and let me in. It's too important to give them an antibiotic if they need it to not go for it. If this fails, ask the vet if the antibiotic can be crushed or opened, mixed with a tiny bit of canned food, and spread on the cat's hard palate as if you were force-feeding them. That might also work for you.
      Caralee

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        In Answer to:
        .
        What sort of things do you recommend to help the kitties. I heard
        Benedryl can help? What dosage...any suggestions would be great.
        They just look so miserable and I cannot help but worry. Normally
        they eat a raw diet and have a very hyper happy life...they are so
        lethargic and sick.
        Jennifer
        .
        I'm giving Ogie 12 1/2 mg. of Benedryl morning and night. I split a 25
        mg. pill. I don't know if that's the right amount. The rest of the
        group will help. That would only help the runny eyes. The cats need
        other supplements to boost their immune system, like L-Lysine,
        Interferon, and Vit. C. Those Ogie takes. There are other things the
        people in the group use.
        ....... Ogie's Jean