Help!

  • burlingtonnurse
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello, I discovered this group while looking for help online. I got
      a ten year old cat from the humane society in July. He had a history
      of feline herpes but was not active when I took him home. He
      recently had an allergic reaction to plastic causing lesions and fur
      loss, he was given a long acting steroid injection. Now he had runny
      eyes, is sneezing constantly and is dripping snot out of his nose. I
      have an eight year old healthy male who is now exhibiting the same
      symptoms. I"m sick about it, I'm so worried about them and I feel
      guilty for exposing my healthy male. What suggestions do you guys
      have, this is my first experience with this illness. They are still
      eating and drinking. Are bowel symptoms usual because my eight year
      old had terrible gas suddenly, it sounds like a machine gun is firing
      from his bum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • mymorgy
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
        Welcome to the group
        Steroids are a no no but I guess the vet thought it was safe....
        I am sorry your other kitty cat had a flareup...Are you giving them
        l-lysine? Also are you giving them any supplements like olive leaf
        extract? which is an anti viral? Have their symptoms gotten worse or
        stayed the same? Usually the worse cases of the flareups are found
        in kittens and senior cats or pregnant cats with weakened immune
        systems...
        What kind of food are you giving them? We have found if you give
        them high quality food that helps to support their immune system.
        Sometimes they need antibiotics for secondary infectios but
        antibiotics don't do anything for the virus...
        Hopefully others will give their experience and suggestions....One
        of my cats whom I adopted spends a lot of her time near the radiator
        and she hasn't been sneezing and hasn't had as much mucuous coming
        out of her nose..I am really shocked that the dry heat has helped
        her so much...before it was wicked...I don't know if she had herpes
        as a kitten or not...she could probably win the Guinness book of
        records for sneezing...one vet said it was an allergy but I doubt
        it ..
        Bobby

        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "burlingtonnurse"
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
          Thankyou for your reply. The boys have actually gotten worse on and
          off. I called in sick to work today because I was afraid to leave
          them alone. They had stopped eating yesterday so I was desparate and
          started feeding them canned ham. It got them both eating slowly but
          surely again. I've been mixing about a tablespoon of it with their
          kibble. They have always been on high quality food. I'm a firm
          believer that if you have a pet you should give them the best of the
          best or not have any at all. I should be giving them highquality wet
          food but neither of them have ever liked it so being their sick it
          won't help the situation. I started putting echinacea in their water
          everyday which was a tip from my friend that works at the humane
          society. I plan on buying lysine today, but being I'm in Canada and
          I'm kind of snowed in that may be a tomorrow thing. It's funny you
          mentioned the dry heat. Pepe, the one who started this whole mess
          has always layed on the end table closest to the heating vent which
          is electrical heat. Unfortunately it's causing him to get dry flaky
          skin, but if it clears up his nose I can deal with the skin, lol.
          I've just been wiping their eyes and nose, keeping lots of towels
          around the house for them to lie on and stay comfortable. and sucking
          them up whenever I can. I'm really worried about them though. As
          far as the steroids go, the vet I don't think realized his herpes
          history and being I've never dealt with the herpes before I didn't
          think about the steroids as a factor until he started getting sick.
          The steroids were for an eosinophilic granuloma complex event. I
          know next time to just let the EGC event clear itself up to prevent
          another herpes relapse. Any more advice on how to deal with the
          respiratory symptoms would be greatly appreciated. Anything that
          drys up secretions? That seems to be what is making them feel so
          rotten, difficulties breathing. Alley was panting last night. Very
          scary. Funny I can deal with critically ill humans but when it comes
          to my feline boys I'm a basket case.
          Thanks
          Burlington Nurse

        • lamamadelgato
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24 12:34 PM
            I have 2 cats, ages 14 and 15. The younger one has a conventional
            case of herpes( a stuffed up nose, sneezin, etc.), but the older one
            just began having seizures. Has anyone had experience with kittens
            or older cats having seizures because of herpes? And what do you do
            about it? My vet hasn't been able to determine another cause for
            the seizures, and I found one reference to it on the web.
            Thanks!