      Question 4:  Yes, it’s the same drug as the human z pack, I have done this too! however, for kitties you should not give one large dose to start like in the pack.  Just cut the pills accordingly and give daily (or as vet suggests).

      Also, there’s another question about 1/4 tsp of Lysine.  It is equal to 500 mg.  So I guess you’d only need to give 1/8 tsp if that’s what you’re aiming for.
      Hope that helps!

      On Jan 20, 2014, at 8:15 PM, <cgwoods@...> <cgwoods@...> wrote:

      Have you figured out how much 1/4 tsp of Lysine is, in milligrams?  They should get 250 mg twice a day for maintenance, and 500 mg twice a day for flare ups.  1/4 tsp can potentially be a heckuva lot of lysine...does the label give you the measurements for 250 or 500 mg?  Just curious.  Maybe 1/4 tsp is 500 mg, I don’t know.  But yes, you can give both meds at the same time. I would recommend giving the lysine twice a day, though, just to keep it constant in his system.  I would, however, pull the zyrtec when giving the zithromax.  They are different meds, but you want to be sure the zithro is working, and pulling the antihistamine (zyrtec) ensures that.  Just my way of thinking about it.

      Caralee

      Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 5:54 PM
      Subject: [felineherpes]feline herpes Lysine, Zyrtec, and Zithromax questions

      Hi All,

      I have four questions:

      Questions One and Two: I had been giving my cat 1/4 tsp of lysine powder in his morning food and one half of a crushed Zyrtec pill in his evening food - no lysine in the evening food. The lysine is in powder form in a plastic 1 pound jar. Can you give lysine to a cat at the same time as you give Zyrtec?  My cat, Buster, had a flare up recently so I got a round of Zithromax for him today. Is it necessary to discontinue the Zyrtec until the Zithromax is done with? I wasn't sure if it was necessary to give Zyrtec when you're giving Zithromax.

      Three: Would it be recommended to give the Zithromax exactly as prescribed (0.8ml once a day for three days, then every other day for five doses), or daily until it runs out?  I just got over a sinus infection where my nose was stuffed up. I felt so bad for him! I know how much it stinks to have a stuffed nose.

      Four: Is human prescribed Z-pac the same thing as Zithromax for cats?  My doctor gave me a prescription for it, but she said not to get it filled unless I thought I needed it. I didn't need it, but I still have the prescription.  I don't know if this particular topic has been discussed or not.

      Many thanks!

      Jenn and Buster

      This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic