Omigosh -- Munger -- thank you ALL for getting me to tommorow

  • Karla
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
      Hi everyone:

      Munger's appointment with the cardiologist is in 16 hours.

      BUT I'VE GOT TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE LAST 2 1/2 DAYS!!!!

      Omigosh, I have my cat about 85-90% back in the last two days. He
      was placed on thyroid medicine on Friday (started Friday night,
      prescribed 2x per day). He had sub-qs on Friday. Had to be assist
      (force) fed all weekend. Had sub-qs again on Monday. The vet said
      that if the thyroid medicine was going to help, it should have
      helped by then. BUT ... Munger came home Monday night and ate on
      his own for the first time since Thursday. At first I thought it
      was the sub-q fluids that made him feel better ... but then I
      realized he'd had fluids Friday, and he didn't resume eating.
      SO ... all I can say is that the thyroid medicine must have kicked
      in and be helping!!! (And, his mum's home ... which I know is some
      of it ... but he resumed eating BEFORE I got home!!). I'm guardedly
      hopeful that perhaps Munger's CM may be secondary to hyperthyroid.

      But it's not just the eating that has resumed. When I say I have my
      cat 85-90% back -- that's HUGE. I came home 2/14 to a cat I didn't
      recognize at all.

      Maybe Munger has both DCM and hyperthyroid. I'm trying not to get
      my hopes unrealistically high. All I know is, my cat has made a
      startling comeback since starting thyroid meds on Friday night. He
      went outside 4x today (a week ago, he just stayed "in bed"), he's
      vocalizing (not a lot, but here and there in response to me -- which
      hasn't happened at all in 3 weeks). He's back to purring lots and
      socializing with the rest of his family (mom and sister), walking
      around all of his usual haunts -- in short, almost "the way he was"
      if it weren't for finicky eating and being too skinny.

      All of that to say ... I wouldn't have known about a possible
      thyroid connection apart from this support group and all of the
      links and info you all have provided. Had it not been for you all,
      Munger's thyroid still would not have been tested, nor would he be
      on meds for it.

      THANK YOU doesn't even seem close to expressing my gratitude.

      I know we're still not out of the woods. What I DO know is that you
      all have helped me "get Munger through" to his appointment
      tomorrow. What I DO know is that I am bringing a much LESS sick cat
      to the cardiologist tomorrow than he was a week ago --- and it's ALL
      because of the advice I got here.

      I'm hopeful that Munger's CM may be secondary to hyperthyroidism.
      That may or may not be the case. Still ... I do have to say, that
      without all of you, and as sick as he was, and with the dismal
      prognosis I was getting, I really might have been inclined to think
      that helping him cross over was the kindest thing to do. Thamk God
      I found this group. Thank you for all your encouragement about
      force (assisted) feeding and sub-qs and pedialite and meat baby food
      and all the rest.

      I really DO credit all of you for "pulling Munger through" these
      past two weeks.

      Thank you, thank you, thank you,
      Love,
      Karla and Munger (and his mom Patches and sis Ali, and his human
      dad, Mike)
    • barb1622000
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
        As soon as you get back from the cardiologist, we want to hear all
        about it. It is WONDERFUL your baby is doing so well.--- In feline-

      • targa66
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
          hi Karla - I'm so glad to hear about Munger "coming back." I agree
          with you - this group is absolutely wonderful for both emotional
          support and great advice. I truly hope all goes well at Munger's
          appointment. Give him a big kiss for me.

          best,
          Shelly

        • diane
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
            That is great news! Is the appointment tomorrow as in Friday? Please
            let us know what you find out.

            Diane