Re: [FH] Help with chylothorax needed!

  • Carol Thompson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2003
      Nancy, I agree about rutin being big pills! Max was a very big boy and also very docile and easy to pill, so I was able to just give him half tablets via normal pilling. (He had many health problems in his short four years, so we had had a lot of practice!)

      Also I agree with Diane's comment about checking first. Max's chylothorax was idiopathic; not sure if rutin is also used when a cause can be identified. Max's dosage was a 500 mg. tablet three times a day. But the cardiologist said I could go with 250 mg. three times a day if it was difficult to get down him. There doesn't seem to be total agreement on dosage at this point although I was assured there weren't any bad side effects.

      A leading researcher on the use of rutin for chylothorax is Alice M. Wolf, D.V.M. (a friend of Max's cardiologist). I just did a seach and found a couple of Web references but there are more. The ones I just looked at are:

      www.catfancy.com/catfancy/reference/disease8.asp
      www.vetsoftware.com/acvc2002-wolf1.htm

      I hope this helps and maybe clarifies. All my best to you and Clawed (I love his name!).

      Carol