new member seeking help

  • fofinhaana <fofinhaana@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
      Hello all:

      I am a member of the Hyper-T group and my 18.5 years old Fofinha is
      acting strange since Friday night when I came home from work. Here is
      a recap of what has happened so far. Sorry for the length. Any
      assistance or information about this condition is greatly appreciated.

      I am desperate seeing her getting worse and not know what to do.
      Thank you in advance.

      Hello All:

      It's about 10:10pm here in Dallas, Texas and I got home about 30-40
      minutes ago. My roommate told me that my Fofinha had vomitted in his
      bedroom and was walking around and meowing that deep meow.

      I checked her litter boxes and she urinated twice outside
      her "peepee" litter box and she had a large bowl movement in
      her "poop" litter box in whar appears had happened in the past one
      hour approximately (my guess) from the looks of the stool that were
      not covered.

      I found more spots of vomiting (more liquid than food) in very
      separated areas. She usually vomits around the same place when she
      vomits which has not been frequent. She appeared very agitated and
      weak at the same time. She walked in circles interested in going to
      places that are not the typical places she hangs around, she is now
      hiding under my roomate's bed curled up.

      I am freeking out thinking she is looking for a place to die. Has
      anyone experienced this with their furbabies? I am going to observe
      her but live her alone until the morning when I can call her vet and
      maybe even take her there.

      I am wondering if she is panicking because she has seen some boxes in
      the house and she always hated boxes because they mean "moving". You
      all know I am planning to move to New Mexico next weekend and I am
      wondering if she senses that and it is panicking. Any suggestions or
      information is greatly appreciated.

      1:00am
      Thanks for the reply, it is looking like something real bad is going
      > on with her and it is so difficult to figure it out. It appears that
      > she maybe took short cat naps in her bed with a hot pad that I
      turned
      > on and she seemed to like. But it is pass 1am and she got out of her
      > bed and walked in circle on my bed (her bed stays on the top of my
      > bed) I picked her up and put her on the ground. Her back legs are
      vey
      > weak she is walking almos crouching with her back legs, she was
      > swallowing her salive and I try to give her water by offering and
      > then wetting my finger and outting on her lips she resented that and
      > started grinding her teeth for the first time ever that I noticed
      and
      > vomit again.
      >
      > She walks a bit on the ground and goes toward a wall and sits
      staring
      > at the wall or nothing. She is acting totally different than her
      > normal. Her ears are now hot, she doens't appear dehydrated, her
      > pupils are dillated. I just found her by her litter boxes and it
      > appears she was able to use the one for pee with a little spot. It
      > seems like she was able to recognize the right box for the right
      > thing which is great since she is acting like she is lost, confuse,
      > forgetful, blind. I am a total wreck.
      >
      > I don't have a clue of what is happening to her. She did eat with
      > desire some chicken baby food around 11 before I took her to bed,
      but
      > that could be what she vomited a while back.

      10:30 am Saturday
      And thanks for the responses, it help me calm down, I am still
      devastated with her episode, but she appears to be doing a little
      better. We both were able to sleep from 3:53am to 6am, she appeared a
      bit better and less restless early this morning but I took her to her
      vet anyway. She did not mind the trip which she usually hates.

      Long story short, her heart has enlarged more, has a murmur of 2 on a
      scale of 1 to 5, whatever that means. BUN is 45.9 last December 39.2;
      her CREA is 3.7 and last December was 4.63; this time her GLU 392.
      and last December was 250.2.

      He thinks she had a trombose(?), I can't read his hand writting and I
      don't remember exactly all that he said, but basically he said that
      the heart is working so hard that maybe this trombose(?) blocked the
      flow of blood to her legs and caused her to have weak legs and walk
      crowuching. Her hart was so fast this morning he could not count it.
      He is waiting to receive the T4 results before he proceeds with
      treatment, but he said to give her today on 60mg children's aspirin
      to thin her blood to help her out until he gets the T4 results. If
      they are good results he knows she is having a miocardio something
      and will put her on atenolol(?), if the T4 results are bad he'll
      increase her methimazole dose. Her face looks better and the pupils
      are more like normal, but she is just laying there on her little bed.

      That's all I have for you on her check up. Again, thanks for being
      there a few of you in the wee hours of the night. I will keep you
      posted.
    • diane
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003

        >He thinks she had a trombose(?), I can't read his hand writting and I
        >don't remember exactly all that he said, but basically he said that
        >the heart is working so hard that maybe this trombose(?) blocked the
        >flow of blood to her legs and caused her to have weak legs and walk
        >crowuching. Her hart was so fast this morning he could not count it.
        >He is waiting to receive the T4 results before he proceeds with
        >treatment, but he said to give her today on 60mg children's aspirin
        >to thin her blood to help her out until he gets the T4 results. If
        >they are good results he knows she is having a miocardio something
        >and will put her on atenolol(?), if the T4 results are bad he'll
        >increase her methimazole dose. Her face looks better and the pupils
        >are more like normal, but she is just laying there on her little bed.
        >
        >That's all I have for you on her check up. Again, thanks for being
        >there a few of you in the wee hours of the night. I will keep you
        >posted.

        I think he meant blood clot, although it couldn't have blocked her
        legs fully or she wouldn't have been able to walk at all, she would
        have been totally paralyzed. The clots are painful and uncomfortable
        in any case so that may explain the agitation you were seeing.

        How is she this morning?

        Diane
      • barb1622000 <bemk@softhome.net>
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
          How is your cat doing this morning? I believe that word you couldn't
          make out was thrombosis and it sounds as if your cat has a blood
          clot blocking or partially blocking blood flow to the hind legs. I
          suspect the other word was cardiomyopathy, but it could easily be
          several other "cardio" things too. When was your vet supposed to get
          the t4 results. Did the vet say if there was any fluid in the lungs?
          Has your cat been seen by a cardiologist?

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "fofinhaana <fofinhaana@y...>"

        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
            How is Fofinha doing today?

            --
            Jonathan Rosenberg
            Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
              Hi and thanks for answering my plea. No fluids on the lungs, we have
              not seen a cardiologist, she has just been treated for hyper-t since
              November, has had hyper-t for a long time perhaps 2 years, but the
              different homeopaths treating her did not get any results that's why
              I went back to a regular vet and he prescribed methimazole. I had to
              take her to the emergency room early this morning. She is taking
              fluids with B vitamin and electrolytes, I called just a while ago and
              they told me she is in an incubator and sleeping, appears to be
              comvfortable. Again, thanks for your response.
              Ana
            • Jonathan Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                I am glad to hear that she seems to be feeling better.

                But I strongly suggest that you get an appointment with a cardiologist if at all
                possible.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                  Jonathan;

                  Thanks fro asking. I had to take her to the emergency early this
                  morning. They don't know what's wrong, they suggested to give her
                  fluids, vitamin B and electrolytes. She did pace at the hospital and
                  stop at the corner and rubbed her face up and down with desperation
                  on the corner and then try to climb the wall. It was horrible she was
                  either in terrible pain or just lost it totally. I called a while ago
                  and they said she is in the imcubator taking fluids and sleeping
                  comfortable.
                  Ana
                • fofinhaana <fofinhaana@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                    Thanks for responding Diane:
                    She is int he hospital receiving fluids with vitamin B and
                    electrolytes. I called a while ago and they have her in an imcubator
                    and she is a sleep comfortably, I'll call again in 3 hours to check.
                    No one knows what is wrong with her. The vet in the hospital thinks
                    that maybe she is defient in vitamin B causing her to not see well,
                    liver enzimes where fine but they think she could have toxin in her
                    body and they are basicaly flushing her.
                    I'll keep you all updated.
                    Ana
                  • barb1622000 <bemk@softhome.net>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                      I take it an incubator means she is getting oxygen? Please keep us
                      informed and please ask the vet if he or she is going to give the cat
                      some medication to slow the heart rate. Can't stress too much
                      getting a cardiologist in on this. Much much luck and love to you
                      and your kitty. Please keep us informed.--- In feline-

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                        " Sounds like maybe a cardiologist is not needed here, that the heart
                        problem is secondary to poisonor somehting similar. "hospital thinks
                        that maybe she is defient in vitamin B causing her to not see well,
                        liver enzimes where fine but they think she could have toxin in her
                        body and they are basicaly flushing her." GOOD LUCK!
                        <fofinhaana@y...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for responding Diane:
                        > She is int he hospital receiving fluids with vitamin B and
                        > electrolytes. I called a while ago and they have her in an
                        imcubator
                        > and she is a sleep comfortably, I'll call again in 3 hours to
                        check.
                        > No one knows what is wrong with her. The vet in the hospital thinks
                        > that maybe she is defient in vitamin B causing her to not see well,
                        > liver enzimes where fine but they think she could have toxin in her
                        > body and they are basicaly flushing her.
                        > I'll keep you all updated.
                        > Ana
                      • Jonathan Rosenberg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                          Please keep us informed. I know how hard the waiting is ...

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                            Jonathan:

                            This is it! I just spoke with the third shift vet that came on duty
                            and he was the hitrd vet to observe Fofinha. No one knows what's
                            wrong with her and he told me she is becoming restless and
                            incoherent, he thinks she might be having strokes or not getting
                            enough oxigen on her brain. No one has a clue and I did not get from
                            this list or the hyper t anyone who had gone through the same
                            symptoms. I am getting ready to go there and be with her when they
                            help her cross over. I don't know what else to do and it hurts me to
                            know she has been suffering this long just because I was still hoping
                            for her to get better.

                            It is hard to do this but I need to think of her and not me.

                            Thanks again to all that responded trying to help or comfort.
                            Ana
                          • diane
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                              Ana,

                              Did they run full blood tests on her? Was anyone able to get there
                              for an ultrasound? Xrays?

                              I know this adds up but.... :(

                              Diane
                            • Jonathan Rosenberg
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 24, 2003
                                Ana,

                                I'm so sorry to hear about Fofinha's precarious condition. I know you will do
                                whatever is best for her. You & your girl will be in my prayers today.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 24, 2003
                                  Jonathan and all others in this list:

                                  thanks for the support and comfort. I am sad to let you know that my
                                  third call to the hospital last night was to speak with a vet that
                                  said they couldn't get any better and she was actially getting worse.
                                  I had to rush there and see for my myself. There was no question she
                                  was not suffering and it needed to end for her sake not mine. She is
                                  an angel now and I'll just have all those years of great memories.

                                  Thank you all again.
                                  Ana
                                • diane
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 24, 2003
                                    Ana,

                                    I am so sorry to hear of this. You must be heartbroken. Please know
                                    that you did all you could and Fofinha is now at the Rainbow Bridge,
                                    running around the fields chasing butterflies in the sun.

                                    All my best,

                                    Diane
                                  • Steph <sschoff@earthlink.net>
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 24, 2003
                                      Ana, I am so sorry to hear about Fofinha. You will be in our
                                      thoughts.
                                      All our best,
                                      -Steph, Gus & Louise