Munger

  • elanonuevo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2003
      In a message dated 2/21/2003 3:47:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      feline-heart@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I'm not sure how to know if
      > he's dehydrated, though.

      Karla, I'm on digest version so perhaps someone has answered by now. There
      is an easy way to see if Munger is dehydrated. Just pinch and lightly pull
      up the skin right below the back of his neck and let go. Count to yourself
      as it goes back into shape. If it springs right back, then he is not
      dehydrated. If it takes over a second to go back, then he is dehydrated.

      Another way (I thought more difficult) was to press on his gums and see if
      the color returned right away...kind of like we check our skin to see if we
      are sunburnt.

      If he is dehydrated, he may need Sub-Q fluids for a week or two. You can
      learn to give them on your own, but definitely needs to be vet recommended
      because it can cause other problems with kidney function (must be monitored
      closely). My Oz had to be given Sub-Q's while he was on the mend from heart
      failure. They monitored with blood tests daily and then every week
      afterwards until his little system was back in balance and he didn't need
      them any more.

      Tia

    • Karla <Karla@YouthSpecialties.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2003
        Hi Tia:

        Thank you! I'll keep a close eye. I appreciate all the info and
        help.

        What was Oz's specific condition and how old a cat? (You used past
        tense -- is Oz still with you?)

        Karla

      • elanonuevo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
          Karla, I've been following Munger's story and am happy to read that you'll be
          coming back on Tuesday. I know that your Mom is taking excellent care of
          Munger so that isn't my concern <g>. My heart goes out to YOU having to be
          away from him all of this week!

          I was glad to read that you decided to force feed and look into getting him
          sub-q's.

          Three vets advised me to put my Oz to sleep last March 17th when he had
          congestive heart failure. The cardiologist diagnosed hypertrophic CM and
          didn't recommend PTS but did tell me his heart was severely enlarged and the
          prognosis wasn't good since he was so young (only a year at the time). But
          this list spurred me on with all of their wealth of knowledge. There are
          many cats and owners on here that have lived for years with this!

          Thank goodness for the internet!

          We just had a repeat echo in October and the vet couldn't believe that Oz was
          the same cat! His heart has shrunk! Oz's one year anniversary is coming up,
          and he's two years old now!

          Tia

        • barb1622000 <bemk@softhome.net>
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
            I LOVE reading stories like yours! Looks like Oz has a long healthy
            happy life ahead of him. My cat Boy had (has?) HCM and his heart is
            normal- sized now, at least per a good cardiologist. She could find
            nothing wrong with the operation of his heart three weeks ago. ---