Patches

  • johninbarrie <johnmo@muskoka.com>
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
      About two months ago the receptionist in my office noticed a cute
      little guy hanging around. She decided to start leaving food
      for "Patches". He was obviously a stray and it became apparent that
      he lived under our front deck of the office building. Over the last
      month I would run into Patches and get a little meow out of him.
      About three weeks he started coming up to me for a pet and some
      small talk. It was obvious that this was one gentle cat who just
      wanted to be loved. He captured my heart as I would watch him from
      my office, strolling around behind our building. He looked so cold
      and dishevelled. I just wanted to protect him.
      This past Tuesday I managed to earn enough trust from Patches that I
      took him inside, fed him and brought him to the vets. I wanted to
      take care of him and bring him into my home. He was neutered, given
      a root canal, vaccinated, tested for ailments. I bought the best
      food and spent Wednesday night with my girlfriend getting all the
      necessary goodies. I picked him up on Thursday night and brought him
      home. What a doll! I laid on the floor and he would climb up on me
      and just stare at me. Friday morning I got up early and spent an
      hour with him. He would jump up on the couch and curl up beside me.
      We took pictures and I left for work.
      My girlfriend had taken the day off to spend with him. Around 11:30
      I got a call from her. She was in hysterics - driving to the vet's.
      Patches' breathing was laboured, his tongue was hanging out and he
      was listless. I immediately left in a panic for home which is an
      hour away . About 10 minutes from home I received a call from the
      vet
      that Patches had passed.
      This cute ball of fur just wanted to be loved and I was prepared to
      give him the life he deserved. I called the vet back when I was able
      and he told he had advanced HCM. I can't help but thinking that all
      the stress of the last week accelerated this and was too much for
      him. I am beside myself with guilt and wished I could have done
      something. I can't stand the thought of the panic my little guy must
      have gone through. On wednesday the vet did tell me he had a heart
      murmur. It was all too sudden and so unfair to Patches. I have never
      lost a pet before. I cannot believe the pain I am in.
    • Amy Barrett
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
        Let me just say that if not for you and your
        girlfriend, Patches' last days would have been spent
        alone and afraid. But because of your kindness and
        generosity, his last days were filled with love,
        caring, and a warm place to live. Please do not feel
        guilty. You have done all you can for your friend. I
        do understand how you feel. Peace be with Patches, who
        is with my Cecil in kitty heaven tonight.
        Amy
        --- "johninbarrie <johnmo@...>"

        =====
        Amy Barrett

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
          Dear John,
          Patches died with people that loved him and that is truly a gift.
          He absolutely would have died, regardless of the circumstances. This
          is a terrible, fatal disease that is particularily lethal to younger
          cats. I too lost a stray to HCM that I took in two summers ago. I
          had him vaccinated and neutered. I remember that he seemed to react
          terribly to the anesthetic but my vet found nothing unusual and never
          picked up a murmur or any abnormal heart sound when he examined him.
          Even if a murmur had been detected, my vet probably would have just
          had him monitered periodically. I had never heard of HCM until it
          happened to us. We had no idea our cat Checkers was sick until he
          went into failure and threw a clot to his brain. I felt just like
          you. I felt tremendous guilt and sorrow that I couldn't prevent his
          fate. It hurts so much when there is no warning and they suddenly
          fall ill and die. I am truly sorry this happened to you and your
          girlfriend. It's something that takes quite a while to deal with.
          But please have no regrets on taking Patches in and doing exactly all
          the right things for him. Everything you did for him was out of love
          and that is what matters. HCM is such a horrible disease because it
          strikes many times without warning and causes so much sorrow. Take
          care and know you are in my thoughts during this very difficult time.
          Peteycat
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "johninbarrie <johnmo@m...>"
          <johnmo@m...> wrote:
          > About two months ago the receptionist in my office noticed a cute
          > little guy hanging around. She decided to start leaving food
          > for "Patches". He was obviously a stray and it became apparent that
          > he lived under our front deck of the office building. Over the last
          > month I would run into Patches and get a little meow out of him.
          > About three weeks he started coming up to me for a pet and some
          > small talk. It was obvious that this was one gentle cat who just
          > wanted to be loved. He captured my heart as I would watch him from
          > my office, strolling around behind our building. He looked so cold
          > and dishevelled. I just wanted to protect him.
          > This past Tuesday I managed to earn enough trust from Patches that
          > took him inside, fed him and brought him to the vets. I wanted to
          > take care of him and bring him into my home. He was neutered, given
          > a root canal, vaccinated, tested for ailments. I bought the best
          > food and spent Wednesday night with my girlfriend getting all the
          > necessary goodies. I picked him up on Thursday night and brought
          him
          > home. What a doll! I laid on the floor and he would climb up on me
          > and just stare at me. Friday morning I got up early and spent an
          > hour with him. He would jump up on the couch and curl up beside me.
          > We took pictures and I left for work.
          > My girlfriend had taken the day off to spend with him. Around 11:30
          > I got a call from her. She was in hysterics - driving to the vet's.
          > Patches' breathing was laboured, his tongue was hanging out and he
          > was listless. I immediately left in a panic for home which is an
          > hour away . About 10 minutes from home I received a call from the
          > vet
          > that Patches had passed.
          > This cute ball of fur just wanted to be loved and I was prepared to
          > give him the life he deserved. I called the vet back when I was able
          > and he told he had advanced HCM. I can't help but thinking that all
          > the stress of the last week accelerated this and was too much for
          > him. I am beside myself with guilt and wished I could have done
          > something. I can't stand the thought of the panic my little guy
          must
          > have gone through. On wednesday the vet did tell me he had a heart
          > murmur. It was all too sudden and so unfair to Patches. I have
          never
          > lost a pet before. I cannot believe the pain I am in.
        • barbara
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
            I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't feel any more guilt for what happened to little Patches. You did what you thought was good for his health, which is obviously more than anyone else ever did for the little fellow. He knew how much time he would have with you and he chose the small amount he had because he wanted to be with you that much. Cherish the good time all the more. Guilt can eat you up to the point that you will be hesitant to ever help another little soul, don't let it. You gave him the best chance he ever had, and if you had not got to him, got him to the vet, he would have come across some stress sometime in his little life outdoors, maybe being chased by a dog, maybe running across a highway. If his little heart gave out then , he would have died within the clutches of that dog, or under the wheels of a truck, in much more dire conditions. As it was, he was in a hospital, with someone who loved him, someone he trusted. Don't for a moment think that he didn't know that. And please know, please believe that you will see him again, he will find his way to you again.
            After the death of my cat Nipper, I wrote a book explaining many of life's mysteries from a cat's perspective. I don't claim to be a "pet psychic", but I do listen to my animals, to those of others who call me to help in medical or emotional issues with their pets. I wish I had the means to give my book to you, maybe it would ease your guilt somewhat. If you wouldn't mind, I will send you the chapter that I feel would most help.
            Again, please don't place this burden on yourself, you did everything right. You did it with love and concern. It wasn't your fault.

          • Steph <sschoff@earthlink.net>
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
              I am terribly sorry to hear about Patches. I think what you did for
              Patches was just so great; so much more than most people would ever
              do. Don't blame yourself, though. Cats are notorious for
              disguising syptoms of disease, esp. heart disease. We were
              completely blind sided when we found out about Gus' heart
              condition. You would never ever know he has advanced HCM by looking
              at him. It is such a terrible and far too common of a disease. I
              never knew about HCM either until Gus was diagnosed almost a yr
              ago. It seems most people find out their cats have heart disease
              when in its advanced stage.

              I am sure Patches found YOU for a reason. You gave him so much love
              and a place to live even though it was for a short time. I am sure
              you will one day see Patches again.
              Maybe when you are ready, you can embrace another cat into your
              life. A cat would be lucky to have a new home & such caring nature
              as you both have.

              You will be in our thoughts,
              Steph, Gus & Louise

            • bcowell <bcowell@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
                Dear John,
                If you hadn't done this for Patches you would never have known what
                happened. Just one day he wouldn't be around your office and you
                would have worried about him and felt guilty for not taking him in.
                You did exactly what you should, and what Patches decided that he
                wanted too. You said he took time to trust you, so he did decide he
                wanted to be with you. That tells you he trusted and loved you, and
                so it was exactly what should have been.
                That it came at the very end of his life is tragic and heartbreaking.
                But he died with friends and in comfort, which is all you could wish
                for him. You did a wonderful thing for your furry friend, because if
                he had been on the street it would have been a terrifying painful and
                lingering death. Instead he had you guys to help him and get him the
                help he needed.
                Saddest for you to have to live with only a few sweet memories of
                your furry friend...
                Sincerely,
                Brigitte

              • Myra DeTate <mdetate@sbcglobal.net>
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 9, 2003
                  Patches was very fortunate to have found such a loving human for his
                  last days. Please don't ever feel guilty for caring for a kitty.
                  Patches finally had a secure home and the comfort and love you gave
                  him was not worth less because it was so short a time. You did your
                  best for him and it is obvious he knew you cared for him. Heart
                  disease is insidious and seems to be easily hidden by our cat
                  friends. We are thankful for each day we have with our Bob. We are
                  sending thankful thoughts of love and peace to two such wonderful,
                  caring humans.

                  Lots of Kitty Kisses,
                  Myra and Bob
                • Beth <ba_ackerman@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2003
                    Reading your post made me cry - I know that pain that you are in, and
                    hope that you find comfort and peace in knowing that you did the best
                    that you could for Patches and gave him some joy at the end of his
                    life. It would have been much worse for Patches if you hadn't come
                    into his life. Please know that he is in a much better place and his
                    spirit will be with you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

                    Beth & the purr-faces
                    Trace, Lily, Iris, Miles, Rusty, Chloe, Viper, Delilah, Anaka,
                    Rachael, Dragon, Elvis, and Joey

                    <johnmo@m...> wrote:
                    > About two months ago the receptionist in my office noticed a cute
                    > little guy hanging around. She decided to start leaving food
                    > for "Patches". He was obviously a stray and it became apparent that
                    > he lived under our front deck of the office building. Over the last
                    > month I would run into Patches and get a little meow out of him.
                    > About three weeks he started coming up to me for a pet and some
                    > small talk. It was obvious that this was one gentle cat who just
                    > wanted to be loved. He captured my heart as I would watch him from
                    > my office, strolling around behind our building. He looked so cold
                    > and dishevelled. I just wanted to protect him.
                    > This past Tuesday I managed to earn enough trust from Patches that
                    > took him inside, fed him and brought him to the vets. I wanted to
                    > take care of him and bring him into my home. He was neutered, given
                    > a root canal, vaccinated, tested for ailments. I bought the best
                    > food and spent Wednesday night with my girlfriend getting all the
                    > necessary goodies. I picked him up on Thursday night and brought
                    him
                    > home. What a doll! I laid on the floor and he would climb up on me
                    > and just stare at me. Friday morning I got up early and spent an
                    > hour with him. He would jump up on the couch and curl up beside me.
                    > We took pictures and I left for work.
                    > My girlfriend had taken the day off to spend with him. Around 11:30
                    > I got a call from her. She was in hysterics - driving to the vet's.
                    > Patches' breathing was laboured, his tongue was hanging out and he
                    > was listless. I immediately left in a panic for home which is an
                    > hour away . About 10 minutes from home I received a call from the
                    > vet
                    > that Patches had passed.
                    > This cute ball of fur just wanted to be loved and I was prepared to
                    > give him the life he deserved. I called the vet back when I was able
                    > and he told he had advanced HCM. I can't help but thinking that all
                    > the stress of the last week accelerated this and was too much for
                    > him. I am beside myself with guilt and wished I could have done
                    > something. I can't stand the thought of the panic my little guy
                    must
                    > have gone through. On wednesday the vet did tell me he had a heart
                    > murmur. It was all too sudden and so unfair to Patches. I have
                    never
                    > lost a pet before. I cannot believe the pain I am in.
                  • tori
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 9, 2003
                      first Cecil and now Patches, geez this is a sad weekend. Since this list is
                      built on compassion and solidarity all I can do is echo the sentiments of
                      others and to tell you both that I admire so much your compassion and love
                      of a small lost soul. The kindness and love you showed patches is a
                      beautiful demonstration of the good in people for the lost, for the starving
                      for the homeless. You guys are my heroes. Please try not to feel guilt for
                      the beautiful gift you gave patches, even though it was too short. I just
                      also lost a kitten on Christmas. He was only 8 months old and the ache of
                      his passing still remains and his loss is still felt. It may take a while
                      I'm told to rid yourself of the guilt that you did the wrong things and try
                      to remember that it isn't the number of years, but each day that matters.

                      my heart to yours,

                      ::tori
                    • diane
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 9, 2003
                        You gave Patches the most wonderful gift you could, many of them as a
                        matter of fact. Love, a warm place to live, good food to eat, and did
                        I mention love? He trusted you for a reason! And you didn't let him
                        down, neither of you did. You say how he climbed up on you and sat on
                        the couch beside you. That sure doesn't sound like a stressed out cat
                        to me. We have 3 ferals and one formerly abused cats so we're pretty
                        familiar with stressed. ;)

                        Had you not been there for him, he would have died alone and afraid.

                        My vet has often said that heart disease is called a silent killer as
                        most people don't even know their cat has problems until the cat
                        dies! If my Kearra's murmur had not been heard when she was younger,
                        I never would have known as it had gone away in the last couple of
                        years before she died also.

                        Please don't fault yourself although I know it is normal human
                        behavior. You and your girlfriend and Patches were put together for a
                        reason. I hope you keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

                        All my best,

                        Diane

                        >About two months ago the receptionist in my office noticed a cute
                        >little guy hanging around. She decided to start leaving food
                        >for "Patches". He was obviously a stray and it became apparent that
                        >he lived under our front deck of the office building. Over the last
                        >month I would run into Patches and get a little meow out of him.
                        >About three weeks he started coming up to me for a pet and some
                        >small talk. It was obvious that this was one gentle cat who just
                        >wanted to be loved. He captured my heart as I would watch him from
                        >my office, strolling around behind our building. He looked so cold
                        >and dishevelled. I just wanted to protect him.
                        >This past Tuesday I managed to earn enough trust from Patches that I
                        >took him inside, fed him and brought him to the vets. I wanted to
                        >take care of him and bring him into my home. He was neutered, given
                        >a root canal, vaccinated, tested for ailments. I bought the best
                        >food and spent Wednesday night with my girlfriend getting all the
                        >necessary goodies. I picked him up on Thursday night and brought him
                        >home. What a doll! I laid on the floor and he would climb up on me
                        >and just stare at me. Friday morning I got up early and spent an
                        >hour with him. He would jump up on the couch and curl up beside me.
                        >We took pictures and I left for work.
                        >My girlfriend had taken the day off to spend with him. Around 11:30
                        >I got a call from her. She was in hysterics - driving to the vet's.
                        >Patches' breathing was laboured, his tongue was hanging out and he
                        >was listless. I immediately left in a panic for home which is an
                        >hour away . About 10 minutes from home I received a call from the
                        >vet
                        >that Patches had passed.
                        >This cute ball of fur just wanted to be loved and I was prepared to
                        >give him the life he deserved. I called the vet back when I was able
                        >and he told he had advanced HCM. I can't help but thinking that all
                        >the stress of the last week accelerated this and was too much for
                        >him. I am beside myself with guilt and wished I could have done
                        >something. I can't stand the thought of the panic my little guy must
                        >have gone through. On wednesday the vet did tell me he had a heart
                        >murmur. It was all too sudden and so unfair to Patches. I have never
                        >lost a pet before. I cannot believe the pain I am in.

                      • Karen LeBlanc
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 10, 2003
                          So sorry to hear about Patches. Please do not feel guilty about what
                          happened. He was ill and unfortunately this condition has no cure. In my
                          opinion, you gave Patches happiness and love in his last days, and that
                          makes you a wonderful person.
                          -Karen

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 29 7:02 PM
                            I'm new to the group and just lost our family cat, Patches on Friday
                            due to a heart condition. We never even knew he had it. We adopted
                            him 10 years ago from an animal shelter along with his brother. The
                            vets have always told us he was part Manecoon (sp?). On Friday, he
                            apparently had some sort of a heart attack and had a blood clot travel
                            down his legs which became paralyzed. After several hours at the ER
                            with a poor prognosis, we made the awful decision to put him to sleep.
                            Our whole family was there with him (three kids and my husband) and we
                            all had the chance to say good-bye and love/kiss him. We just could
                            not bear to have him in pain if there was no hope for a recovery, which
                            the doctor told us was not. I had never heard of heart problems in
                            cats but the doctor said it was common for this breed. I'm now worried
                            about his brother, who does not appear to have any Manecoon in him, but
                            still... Does anyone have any advice as to our other pet? Diet?
                            Preventive meds/vitamins? Thanks for listening. It's been a rough
                            couple of days.
                          • anglophile1962
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 29 8:40 PM
                              I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a sudden and unexpected
                              affliction. My cat had a clot on the 11/07/07 and against all advice
                              from our vets I refused to put him to sleep. I knew nothing about
                              Saddle Thrombosis but looked up as much as I could on the net. He was
                              morphined for 2 days until the pain subsided and I brought him home on
                              the 4th day. He will probably never regain full use of his legs and we
                              are termed as "an experiment" by our vets as no one knows what will
                              happen, but I have no regrets. My vets were misinformed regarding
                              treatment and Chingy has suffered as a result, but at least if it
                              happens again to another cat in the area, they can advise of choices
                              available as a result of what happened to Chingy. My other cat, Winky,
                              which is Chingy's cousin appears to be well. They have advised not to
                              go to the cost of ultrasounding her heart as Chingy has no heart
                              condition and so no one can ascertain how he threw the clot. I guess a
                              healthy diet, twice yearly checkups and just a keen eye for any changes
                              in the cat's behaviour etc. Chingy became more tired, more affectionate
                              and ate less in the week prior to his clot. No one knows why; maybe
                              just a coincidence but observe any changes even subtle ones.
                              Take care
                            • Leah Ferron
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 31 6:11 AM
                                Hello,

                                Welcome to our group (please let us know your name). You have my deepest condolences on your loss of Patches. Heart disease is a cruel disease and many people lose their kitties the same way you did, without notice. It is absolutely heartbreaking, we know. This is a wonderful group and offers help that many people can't get through their vets, the bad side of this group is that a lot of us have experienced a loss of kitty to heart disease. But we are very good at support for this too as you may have already experienced.

                                To start, kitties are absolute magicians at hiding their illnesses. It is instinct for them to do so. So even the most keen of kitty parents will not know when heart disease is present. Do not at all feel guilty for this. As far as saddle thrombosis, most kitties that experience one of these, do not survive. We have some kitties in this group that have with the help of knowledgeable vets, patient parents and this group. It can be a long road for the kitty and very stressful on the owner but when recovery is made, everything is worth it. The other thing to worry about with kitties that have clots is having another one. There is a greater chance of this happening. If you want to do a search through some past postings on kitties with clots you can do a search for Monkey(Meredith's), Ewok(Dale's) or Chris(Carole's). These are all kitties that made it through a clot but by a long road.

                                As far as Patches' brother, if you want to know for sure if he has any heart disease, you should take him to a vet cardiologist for an echocardiogram. An echo is the only true way of knowing what is going on with the heart. If there is a problem, there are meds that can be given and we suggest certain supplements like CoEnzyme Q10(CoQ10), taurine and l-carnitine to start. Generally, you need a referral from your regular vet to the cardiologist but under the circumstances, you shouldn't have any problems.

                                Please be sure to ask us any questions that you may have even if they aren't heart related because they often are. I am truly sorry about your loss. Patches was worth every tear shed for him but he is also worth every smile too.

                                With deepest sympathies,
                                Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

                              • Sue at MAGDRL
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 31 1:23 PM
                                  Hi,

                                  I'm so sorry to hear about Patches. I also had a Maine Coon cat, Pepper who
                                  recently passed. I had another one that passed on a few years back.
                                  Stanley also had a clot and was paralyzed. Both had heart disease. It's so
                                  sad that it runs in such a great breed. They're very sweet and sociable
                                  cats.

                                  I agree with Leah's advice. If there's any concern, you should get an
                                  echocardiogram done by a veterinary cardiologist or an internist who has
                                  experience with heart disease. The test may be expensive but knowing if he
                                  has heart disease could give you the opportunity to treat him with
                                  medication to slow the onset of the disease and prevent further distress for
                                  your family. It also costs far less than an emergency visit.

                                  If you have any other questions, please let us know.

                                  Sue & Angel Pepper