Newly diagnosed

  • lgaddis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2003
      I joined this list a couple weeks ago and my heart goes out to those of you who have just lost your precious babies.

      My cat, Ginny, was just recently diagnosed with HCM. She is 15-1/2 y/o and has had a heart murmer her entire life. We also had her mother and although not purebred, from looking at her we could tell she had a lot of Maine Coon in her. (From reading prior posts, I think this breed it more at risk for HCM?) We did a routine geriatric chest xray and the vet noticed the left side of her heart was slightly enlarged. Her murmer had also progressed from a 1 to a 3 rating. So, we had an ultrasound done and evaluated by a cardiologist. He put her on baby aspirin (from reading previous posts I got enteric coated) 81 mg 2x/week. Also diltiazem 1 pill/day.

      We've been on these tx for a couple weeks now. I had not noticed any symptoms in Ginny prior to this, but now I have noticed she is up & about more. She has arthritis & I had thought that was why she wasn't real active before. Now I think it may have been due to HCM or it could've been the arthritis & maybe the aspirin is helping that (which would be a nice side effect)

      I wanted to introduce myself and also ask if anyone has any suggestions for me or things to be on the lookout for. We also have Ginny's brother Maxx and sister Cocoa. I am now wondering if I ought to at least have an x-ray done in them as well just to make sure all looks well.

      Thanks for any feedback you guys can offer,
      Leaha, Ginny, Maxx & Cocoa
    • lmgcpa <lgaddis@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
        Hi everyone! I had posted this message (below)a week or so ago and I
        am taking Ginny to the vet on Saturday for them to run some labwork
        and make sure all is going well now that she has been on the
        diltiazem and aspirin for a month. I hadn't gotten any feedback to
        my post, but wondered if anyone has suggestions on anything I need to
        know before I go in on Saturday. I'm new to all of this & not really
        sure what I need to be doing. The good news is that Ginny is still
        acting fine...but she REALLY hate me giving her these pills. She's
        ok with the aspirin it's just the diltiazem, so I'm looking for
        something to hide it in rather than forcing it in her mouth as I have
        been. So far nothing has fooled her :) Thanks for any suggestions
        you have for me!

        Leaha, Ginny, Maxx, Missy & Cocoa

      • Dana Rulf (merlynsmama) <drulf@coresys.c
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
          Hi Leaha,
          I'm copying a portion of a message from the CRF-support list. Someone
          just posted about a product they discovered for hiding meds:

          " "Sea Flex Sea Cucumber Supplement" for feline flexibility. The reason I
          am mentioning the product is that I discovered another use for it. The
          morsels are moist and very appetizing. They split in half easily which
          allows me to place a small pill in the middle of one half then pinch the
          2 halves together effectively hiding the pill inside. Mr. T gobbles up
          his Pepcid AC and another one of my cats, Sandy, comes right to me when
          she gets her Norvasc now. This is a new product for my vet and naturally
          she was very pleased with my little discovery. The company's web site is
          www.seacucumber.com if you would like more info. "

          So far my Merlyn cat takes his heart pill just fine, but I am keeping
          this product on a post it note on the computer for "just in case."
          It's worth a try.

          Best of luck, and let us know how Ginny's appointment goes.
          --Dana

          > am taking Ginny to the vet on Saturday for them to run some labwork
          > and make sure all is going well now that she has been on the
          > diltiazem and aspirin for a month. I hadn't gotten any feedback to
          > my post, but wondered if anyone has suggestions on anything I need to
          > know before I go in on Saturday. I'm new to all of this & not really

          so I'm looking for
          > something to hide it in rather than forcing it in her mouth as I have
          > been. So far nothing has fooled her :) Thanks for any suggestions
          > you have for me!
          >
          > Leaha, Ginny, Maxx, Missy & Cocoa
          >
          > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, lgaddis@a... wrote:
          > > I joined this list a couple weeks ago and my heart goes out to
          > those of you who have just lost your precious babies.
          > >
          > > My cat, Ginny, was just recently diagnosed with HCM. She is 15-1/2
          > y/o and has had a heart murmer her entire life. We also had her
          > mother and although not purebred, from looking at her we could tell
          > she had a lot of Maine Coon in her. (From reading prior posts, I
          > think this breed it more at risk for HCM?) We did a routine geriatric
          > chest xray and the vet n

          oticed the left side of her heart was
          > slightly enlarged. Her murmer had also progressed from a 1 to a 3
          > rating. So, we had an ultrasound done and evaluated by a
          > cardiologist. He put her on baby aspirin (from reading previous
          > posts I got enteric coated) 81 mg 2x/week. Also diltiazem 1
          > pill/day.
          > >
          > > We've been on these tx for a couple weeks now. I had not noticed
          > any symptoms in Ginny prior to this, but now I have noticed she is up
          > & about more. She has arthritis & I had thought that was why she
          > wasn't real active before. Now I think it may have been due to HCM
          > or it could've been the arthritis & maybe the aspirin is helping that
          > (which would be a nice side effect)
          > >
          > > I wanted to introduce myself and also ask if anyone has any
          > suggestions for me or things to be on the lookout for. We also have
          > Ginny's brother Maxx and sister Cocoa. I am now wondering if I ought
          > to at least have an x-ray done in them as well just to make sure all
          > looks well.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any feedback you guys can offer,
          > > Leaha, Ginny, Maxx & Cocoa
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
            --- "lmgcpa <lgaddis@...>" <lgaddis@...>
            wrote:

            > Ginny is still
            > acting fine...but she REALLY hate me giving her
            > these pills. She's
            > ok with the aspirin it's just the diltiazem, so I'm
            > looking for
            > something to hide it in rather than forcing it in
            > her mouth as I have
            > been. So far nothing has fooled her :) Thanks for

            My vet told me to find the one thing my cat is
            passionate about eating and to give it to him
            immediately after and only after pilling. I got lucky
            on the second thing I tried. The first thing I tried
            was sardines and he was starting to avoid me in the
            morning. Than I bought a can of cocktail shrimp. He
            absolutely loves it.

            My pilling routine involves Rudy standing next to the
            fridge as I remove his frozen shrimp from the ziplock,
            cutting his Atenolol with a pill cutter and placing
            the thawed shrimp on a saucer. He then leads me to his
            pilling station, a wing back chair back that he jumps
            up on and waits for me. I place the saucer on the
            chair seat, and cradle his body under my armpit with
            his chest cupped in my hand. I barely open his mouth
            with my finger and stick his pill in. He is salivating
            over eating the shrimp and swallows immediately. He
            jumps down to the chair seat and starts eating his
            shrimp while making little piggy noises. The
            shrimp/pilling conditioning is so complete that he
            wakes me up on the weekends for"shrimp time."

            Susan

            =====

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • barb1622000 <bemk@softhome.net>
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 11, 2003
              Roast chicken breast works well with Boy. You take a bite size
              piece, stick the pill in and he is standing on his back legs for
              more, at which point I give him the dieuretic pill in another piece.
              He has always been notoriously hard to pill and will fight tooth and
              nail not to have his jaw pried open. And he is a very strong large
              male. I have also used deli shaved ham and stick the pills in there
              but they have high salt content so I don't know if that is such a
              good idea anymore. Sometimes the pills fall out the side of his
              mouth, because he has had some large teeth extracted, but I just try
              it again.

              -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "lmgcpa <lgaddis@a...>"

            • diane
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 16, 2003
                Leaha,

                How did the vet visit go?

                Diane

              • lmgcpa <lgaddis@aol.com>
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2003
                  Diane,

                  Thanks for asking. And thanks to all of you who gave me such great
                  pilling suggestions! I've tried a couple that haven't worked yet,
                  but I've got several more to try and I'm sure we'll find the one that
                  works.

                  The vet visit was a little frustrating. I had to drop her (and one
                  of my other cats Maxx) off Saturday morning and leave them for a
                  couple hours for them to do the labwork. When I picked them up there
                  had been some confusion and they had accidently been given baths as
                  well. That wasn't really upsetting to me (although I'm sure it was
                  to them :) I was just surprised my vets office had made a careless
                  mistake. Anyway, I called to get the lab results, tney were testing
                  kidney and liver values and blood pressure to make sure the diltiazem
                  wasn't causing any problems and I found out they had done the wrong
                  blood test. They had instead done a CBC. So, now Ginny has to go
                  back in for the correct labwork a week from Saturday. I've seen this
                  vet for several years and this is the first time I've seen them be
                  this careless, that concerns me a little bit. The good side of this
                  whole thing is that we've gotten a free CBC done and it was good to
                  see that the aspirin hasn't caused any changes in her RBC count.
                  Apparently that can happen, but they don't normally do a CBC to
                  check. So, it was good to know that was ok and that the rest of the
                  CBC was normal as well.

                  Thanks again for asking and to all of you who shared all of your
                  wonderful pilling tips with me. We'll figure out something that
                  works. Right now until I find a better trick, I just shove the pill
                  in her mouth & hold her mouth closed...she's not happy at all when I
                  do that, but luckily she doesn't hold a grudge and gets over it in
                  just a few minutes.

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, diane <diane@m...> wrote:
                  > Leaha,
                  >
                  > How did the vet visit go?
                  >

                  > Diane
                  >

                  > >Hi everyone! I had posted this message (below)a week or so ago
                  and I
                  > >am taking Ginny to the vet on Saturday for them to run some labwork
                  > >and make sure all is going well now that she has been on the
                  > >diltiazem and aspirin for a month. I hadn't gotten any feedback to
                  > >my post, but wondered if anyone has suggestions on anything I need
                  > >know before I go in on Saturday. I'm new to all of this & not
                  really
                  > >sure what I need to be doing. The good news is that Ginny is still
                  > >acting fine...but she REALLY hate me giving her these pills. She's
                  > >ok with the aspirin it's just the diltiazem, so I'm looking for
                  > >something to hide it in rather than forcing it in her mouth as I
                  have
                  > >been. So far nothing has fooled her :) Thanks for any suggestions
                  > >you have for me!
                • diane
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 18, 2003
                    Glad to hear the progress report. Please let us know how the lab work
                    turns out!

                    Diane

                    >Diane,
                    >
                    >Thanks for asking. And thanks to all of you who gave me such great
                    >pilling suggestions! I've tried a couple that haven't worked yet,
                    >but I've got several more to try and I'm sure we'll find the one that
                    >works.
                    >
                    >The vet visit was a little frustrating. I had to drop her (and one
                    >of my other cats Maxx) off Saturday morning and leave them for a
                    >couple hours for them to do the labwork. When I picked them up there
                    >had been some confusion and they had accidently been given baths as
                    >well. That wasn't really upsetting to me (although I'm sure it was
                    >to them :) I was just surprised my vets office had made a careless
                    >mistake. Anyway, I called to get the lab results, tney were testing
                    >kidney and liver values and blood pressure to make sure the diltiazem
                    >wasn't causing any problems and I found out they had done the wrong
                    >blood test. They had instead done a CBC. So, now Ginny has to go
                    >back in for the correct labwork a week from Saturday. I've seen this
                    >vet for several years and this is the first time I've seen them be
                    >this careless, that concerns me a little bit. The good side of this
                    >whole thing is that we've gotten a free CBC done and it was good to
                    >see that the aspirin hasn't caused any changes in her RBC count.
                    >Apparently that can happen, but they don't normally do a CBC to
                    >check. So, it was good to know that was ok and that the rest of the
                    >CBC was normal as well.
                    >
                    >Thanks again for asking and to all of you who shared all of your
                    >wonderful pilling tips with me. We'll figure out something that
                    >works. Right now until I find a better trick, I just shove the pill
                    >in her mouth & hold her mouth closed...she's not happy at all when I
                    >do that, but luckily she doesn't hold a grudge and gets over it in
                    >just a few minutes.
                    >
                    >Leaha, Ginny, Maxx, Missy & Cocoa
                  • kristinamadeleine7
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
                      Hi, my cat Samson was recently diagnosed with hypertropic
                      cardiomyopathy and moderate mitral regurgitation. My husband and I
                      are crushed but we understand that there really isn't much we can do
                      and that it isn't anyone's fault. He is on medication therapy and so
                      far so good, although it has only been a couple of days since we found
                      out he even had a problem. I am so angry that this is happening to
                      him. He is such a good cat and doesn't deserve this. I am crying as
                      I write this because he is like one of our children and we just can't
                      imagine our lives without him. I am so happy I found this site. I am
                      a social worker and know how important it is to have a support system
                      and people to talk to who understand what we are going thru. So I am
                      so thankful that you all are out there. We also are thankful that we
                      have such a good vet and now a great cardiologist (I didn't even know
                      they had those). One thing is for sure we will cherish everyday we
                      have with him and spoil him everyday we can.
                      Tina
                    • marthe horn-Davis
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
                        Hi TIna,

                        This is truly a great group...I only joined after
                        losing my cat to enlarged heart and it was difficult
                        to join and tell the story...However it did help
                        because my cat that survived always had a murmer
                        (ironic istn't it the one that was apparently healthy
                        and no symptoms dies within 19 days of any symptoms of
                        anything wrong and the one that has the murmer is on
                        medication now.) By joining this group I was urged to
                        investigate the murmer further and I did just that...
                        took her to vet for a check, he did x-ray and found
                        thickened left ventricle...I asked for the referral
                        for ultra sound myself and he obliged subsequently it
                        was diagnosed as about 3 year life expectancy but more
                        importantly she is on medication to help her heart ie
                        reduce the workload and also a drug for her kidneys to
                        reduce stress on the heart. I take one day at a time
                        but life quality....she is happy, playful, still a
                        little overweight, but....much more active and visible
                        around the house...he life quality has improved...I
                        didn't realize that things needed to improve, she was
                        quiet and laid around before but that wasn't a great
                        thing so I am thankful to this group who urged me to
                        have the u.s. done...

                        Anyway try to enjoy Samson, make sure his diet is a
                        good one, and if you can keep stress to a minimum, it
                        all helps...there are some true experts in the area of
                        nutrition etc. on this line.

                        Also, welcome, as I am sorry you had to join and I
                        realize that you are in shock but there are truly some
                        success stories out there amidst the sad ones, and
                        knowledge is a great weapon...against this disease.

                        Take care..

                        Marthe, Gina and Lenny
                        --- kristinamadeleine7 <kristinamadeleine7@...>
                        wrote:

[...]

                        Your reply will go to the author of this message. If
                        you feel your reply will benefit the entire group,
                        please change the "To:" line to
                        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                        Terms of Service.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com