Re: Please tell me I'm just paranoid

  • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
      Dear friend,
      I'm certainly in no position to tell you whether you should worry
      or not, but I can just share my experience with this. My eldest cat
      Chez, who is pushing 16 years old, has always panted for just a
      moment of over exertion. He has no heart disease, at least none that
      my vet has detected. He is rather over weight. His panting has
      never gone more than a few seconds and I only see this when he's
      really wound up or hot. My cat Checkers that did die suddenly from
      HCM, NEVER panted until the moment he was in heart failure. Checkers
      was quite young when he died (18 months old) and his symptoms were
      hidden until he died. So as for the panting, it may or may not be a
      concern. I would watch more for her breathing rate at rest time.
      Peteycat

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@d...>"
      <Claire.Doran@d...> wrote:
      > Hi Group
      >
      > I have a question regarding my new kitty "Spackle" who came to me
      > after Sprocket left me just before Xmas due to CRF.
      >
      > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac" kitten with
      much
      > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is having her mad
      > moments and running around she pants like a dog. The first time it
      > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she was overheating
      > but last night she started it again and it was quite cool. She
      > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity - just
      breathes
      > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is running/chasing.
      >
      > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of thing? I'm
      > worried in case she has a problem and will make sure she gets her
      > heart & lungs checked out at next vet trip - but I just wondered if
      > am being paranoid - I'm so scared of going through another sick
      kitty
      > trauma just yet.
      >
      > Please tell me I have nothing to worry about!!!
      >
      > Claire, Basil, Spackle & Angel Sprocket
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- Susan <somnamblst@...> wrote:

        I wanted to add that exercise induced open mouth
        breathing was only 1 of 5 subtle symptoms that caused
        me to seek out an evaluation from an Internal Medicine
        vet. One of the things that helped me to notice these
        very subtle symptoms was that I had 2 almost identical
        age unrelated kittens to compare. Chester never did
        any of the 5 things that Rudy did.

        The differences between the 2 kittens were:

        Rudy's resting respiration rate was noticeably faster
        than Chester's
        Rudy would sprint and then suddenly lay down stretched
        out breathing rapidly
        Rudy was affected by heat that did not phase Chester
        Rudy would sometimes breath with an open mouth briefly
        Rudy was positioning himself on a hard objects edge
        with front legs fully extended and his sternum rotated
        forward and his head below his chest. This was an
        occasional occurence that became an everyday several
        times per day event immediately before diagnosis.

        Open mouth breathing was one of the things I noticed
        very early on. It was not until he was 19 months old
        that I sought an expert opinion. My previous young cat
        who presented suddenly with HCM/CHF who died did also
        exhibit exercise induced open mouth breathing on
        occasion in the year before his death. Open mouth
        breathing (dyspnea) is not always HCM, it can be
        asthma but I do not believe it is ever considered
        normal in cats. (unlike dogs)

        Susan

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com