Re: [FH] Please tell me I'm just paranoid

  • diane
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      Claire,

      While Kali has not panted for me yet, often when I pick her up she
      gives a little gasp. Totally knocks me out when she does that.

      I had the vet check her of course, and all is well. If it will put
      your mind at ease by all means bring her in for a visit.

      Diane
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
        --- "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@...>"
        <Claire.Doran@...> wrote:
        > Hi Group
        >

        > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac"
        > kitten with much
        > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is
        > having her mad
        > moments and running around she pants like a dog.
        > The first time it
        > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she
        > was overheating
        > but last night she started it again and it was quite
        > cool. She
        > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity
        > - just breathes
        > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is
        > running/chasing.
        >
        > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of
        > thing?

        Claire,

        Since I had two kittens (unrelated) to compare I came
        to the conclusion that open mouth breathing is not
        normal.

        My cat Rudy (not quite 2) who is 1 week younger than
        Chester did the panting during exercise last summer
        and Chester did not. Rudy was also adversely affected
        by heat even though Chester should have been the one
        affected due to his portlyness. The first vet I
        expressed my concerns to dismissed me entirely and
        called Rudy a "nervous nellie". I took it upon myself
        to schedule w/o a referral a check up with an internal
        medicine vet who did not consider open mouth breathing
        to be insignificant. He discovered a low grade murmur
        which caused him to perform an echo which revealed a
        hyperkinetic heart which was borderline normal for
        thickening. My vet prescribed Atenolol and aspirin. A
        1 month recheck showed no murmur and a much smoother
        echo.

        It is only because of my previous experience with HCM
        that I was looking for the most trivial symptoms. I
        probably have the most early diagnosis HCM cat on this
        list. Eary diagnosis can make a difference in both
        long term survival and vet bills. I personally would
        rather know early. Unfortunately the majority of GP
        vets do not have the experience or equipment to
        diagnose HCM in it's early stages. Xrays are virtually
        worthless. So you may not get a definitive answer
        unless you seek out the vets who do echos. You said
        the breeder had her cats screened, is your kitten one
        of the at-risk breeds?

        Since starting meds Rudy's stamina has improved
        significantly, though I will have to wait for warmer
        weather and longer days to observe the kind of running
        and playing outside that caused open mouthed breathing
        last summer.

        Susan

        =====

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
          Dear friend,
          I'm certainly in no position to tell you whether you should worry
          or not, but I can just share my experience with this. My eldest cat
          Chez, who is pushing 16 years old, has always panted for just a
          moment of over exertion. He has no heart disease, at least none that
          my vet has detected. He is rather over weight. His panting has
          never gone more than a few seconds and I only see this when he's
          really wound up or hot. My cat Checkers that did die suddenly from
          HCM, NEVER panted until the moment he was in heart failure. Checkers
          was quite young when he died (18 months old) and his symptoms were
          hidden until he died. So as for the panting, it may or may not be a
          concern. I would watch more for her breathing rate at rest time.
          Peteycat

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@d...>"
          <Claire.Doran@d...> wrote:
          > Hi Group
          >
          > I have a question regarding my new kitty "Spackle" who came to me
          > after Sprocket left me just before Xmas due to CRF.
          >
          > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac" kitten with
          much
          > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is having her mad
          > moments and running around she pants like a dog. The first time it
          > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she was overheating
          > but last night she started it again and it was quite cool. She
          > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity - just
          breathes
          > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is running/chasing.
          >
          > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of thing? I'm
          > worried in case she has a problem and will make sure she gets her
          > heart & lungs checked out at next vet trip - but I just wondered if
          > am being paranoid - I'm so scared of going through another sick
          kitty
          > trauma just yet.
          >
          > Please tell me I have nothing to worry about!!!
          >
          > Claire, Basil, Spackle & Angel Sprocket
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
            --- Susan <somnamblst@...> wrote:

            I wanted to add that exercise induced open mouth
            breathing was only 1 of 5 subtle symptoms that caused
            me to seek out an evaluation from an Internal Medicine
            vet. One of the things that helped me to notice these
            very subtle symptoms was that I had 2 almost identical
            age unrelated kittens to compare. Chester never did
            any of the 5 things that Rudy did.

            The differences between the 2 kittens were:

            Rudy's resting respiration rate was noticeably faster
            than Chester's
            Rudy would sprint and then suddenly lay down stretched
            out breathing rapidly
            Rudy was affected by heat that did not phase Chester
            Rudy would sometimes breath with an open mouth briefly
            Rudy was positioning himself on a hard objects edge
            with front legs fully extended and his sternum rotated
            forward and his head below his chest. This was an
            occasional occurence that became an everyday several
            times per day event immediately before diagnosis.

            Open mouth breathing was one of the things I noticed
            very early on. It was not until he was 19 months old
            that I sought an expert opinion. My previous young cat
            who presented suddenly with HCM/CHF who died did also
            exhibit exercise induced open mouth breathing on
            occasion in the year before his death. Open mouth
            breathing (dyspnea) is not always HCM, it can be
            asthma but I do not believe it is ever considered
            normal in cats. (unlike dogs)

            Susan

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com