Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [FH] Please tell me I'm just paranoid

Expand Messages
  • diane
    Claire, While Kali has not panted for me yet, often when I pick her up she gives a little gasp. Totally knocks me out when she does that. I had the vet check
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Claire,

      While Kali has not panted for me yet, often when I pick her up she
      gives a little gasp. Totally knocks me out when she does that.

      I had the vet check her of course, and all is well. If it will put
      your mind at ease by all means bring her in for a visit.



      Diane
    • Dana Rulf (merlynsmama) <drulf@coresys.c
      Hi Claire, I don t blame you a bit for being worried...after going through CRF (and still going), I find myself constantly re-examining my 2 cats behaviors
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Claire,

        I don't blame you a bit for being worried...after going through CRF
        (and still going), I find myself constantly re-examining my 2 cats'
        behaviors "is that normal?" "should I worry?" etc.

        But, in this case, I think what Spackle is doing is normal. It can't
        hurt to have him checked out next vet visit, but I wouldn't worry much
        in the meantime unless you see other bothersome symptoms appear. I
        remember both Merlyn & Tully doing the panting when they were kittens,
        and Tully even does it now if we really get him going! It stops as
        soon as he slows down or stops. I think it's just like people when we
        get our heart rates up and run around like crazy!

        Congrats on Spackle -- take care of each other!
        Dana
        Merlyn & Tully


        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@d...>"
        <Claire.Doran@d...> wrote:
        > Hi Group
        >
        > I have a question regarding my new kitty "Spackle" who came to me
        > after Sprocket left me just before Xmas due to CRF.
        >
        > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac" kitten with much
        > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is having her mad
        > moments and running around she pants like a dog. The first time it
        > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she was overheating
        > but last night she started it again and it was quite cool. She
        > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity - just breathes
        > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is running/chasing.
        >
        > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of thing? I'm
        > worried in case she has a problem and will make sure she gets her
        > heart & lungs checked out at next vet trip - but I just wondered if I
        > am being paranoid - I'm so scared of going through another sick kitty
        > trauma just yet.
        >
        > Please tell me I have nothing to worry about!!!
        >
        > Claire, Basil, Spackle & Angel Sprocket
      • Susan
        ... Claire, Since I had two kittens (unrelated) to compare I came to the conclusion that open mouth breathing is not normal. My cat Rudy (not quite 2) who is
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          --- "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@...>"
          <Claire.Doran@...> wrote:
          > Hi Group
          >
          >>
          > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac"
          > kitten with much
          > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is
          > having her mad
          > moments and running around she pants like a dog.
          > The first time it
          > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she
          > was overheating
          > but last night she started it again and it was quite
          > cool. She
          > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity
          > - just breathes
          > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is
          > running/chasing.
          >
          > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of
          > thing?

          Claire,

          Since I had two kittens (unrelated) to compare I came
          to the conclusion that open mouth breathing is not
          normal.

          My cat Rudy (not quite 2) who is 1 week younger than
          Chester did the panting during exercise last summer
          and Chester did not. Rudy was also adversely affected
          by heat even though Chester should have been the one
          affected due to his portlyness. The first vet I
          expressed my concerns to dismissed me entirely and
          called Rudy a "nervous nellie". I took it upon myself
          to schedule w/o a referral a check up with an internal
          medicine vet who did not consider open mouth breathing
          to be insignificant. He discovered a low grade murmur
          which caused him to perform an echo which revealed a
          hyperkinetic heart which was borderline normal for
          thickening. My vet prescribed Atenolol and aspirin. A
          1 month recheck showed no murmur and a much smoother
          echo.

          It is only because of my previous experience with HCM
          that I was looking for the most trivial symptoms. I
          probably have the most early diagnosis HCM cat on this
          list. Eary diagnosis can make a difference in both
          long term survival and vet bills. I personally would
          rather know early. Unfortunately the majority of GP
          vets do not have the experience or equipment to
          diagnose HCM in it's early stages. Xrays are virtually
          worthless. So you may not get a definitive answer
          unless you seek out the vets who do echos. You said
          the breeder had her cats screened, is your kitten one
          of the at-risk breeds?

          Since starting meds Rudy's stamina has improved
          significantly, though I will have to wait for warmer
          weather and longer days to observe the kind of running
          and playing outside that caused open mouthed breathing
          last summer.

          Susan

          =====
          Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19 months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

          __________________________________________________
          Do you Yahoo!?
          Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
          Dear friend, I m certainly in no position to tell you whether you should worry or not, but I can just share my experience with this. My eldest cat Chez, who
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            Dear friend,
            I'm certainly in no position to tell you whether you should worry
            or not, but I can just share my experience with this. My eldest cat
            Chez, who is pushing 16 years old, has always panted for just a
            moment of over exertion. He has no heart disease, at least none that
            my vet has detected. He is rather over weight. His panting has
            never gone more than a few seconds and I only see this when he's
            really wound up or hot. My cat Checkers that did die suddenly from
            HCM, NEVER panted until the moment he was in heart failure. Checkers
            was quite young when he died (18 months old) and his symptoms were
            hidden until he died. So as for the panting, it may or may not be a
            concern. I would watch more for her breathing rate at rest time.
            Peteycat

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@d...>"
            <Claire.Doran@d...> wrote:
            > Hi Group
            >
            > I have a question regarding my new kitty "Spackle" who came to me
            > after Sprocket left me just before Xmas due to CRF.
            >
            > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac" kitten with
            much
            > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is having her mad
            > moments and running around she pants like a dog. The first time it
            > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she was overheating
            > but last night she started it again and it was quite cool. She
            > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity - just
            breathes
            > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is running/chasing.
            >
            > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of thing? I'm
            > worried in case she has a problem and will make sure she gets her
            > heart & lungs checked out at next vet trip - but I just wondered if
            I
            > am being paranoid - I'm so scared of going through another sick
            kitty
            > trauma just yet.
            >
            > Please tell me I have nothing to worry about!!!
            >
            > Claire, Basil, Spackle & Angel Sprocket
          • Susan
            ... I wanted to add that exercise induced open mouth breathing was only 1 of 5 subtle symptoms that caused me to seek out an evaluation from an Internal
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
            • 0 Attachment
              --- Susan <somnamblst@...> wrote:

              I wanted to add that exercise induced open mouth
              breathing was only 1 of 5 subtle symptoms that caused
              me to seek out an evaluation from an Internal Medicine
              vet. One of the things that helped me to notice these
              very subtle symptoms was that I had 2 almost identical
              age unrelated kittens to compare. Chester never did
              any of the 5 things that Rudy did.

              The differences between the 2 kittens were:

              Rudy's resting respiration rate was noticeably faster
              than Chester's
              Rudy would sprint and then suddenly lay down stretched
              out breathing rapidly
              Rudy was affected by heat that did not phase Chester
              Rudy would sometimes breath with an open mouth briefly
              Rudy was positioning himself on a hard objects edge
              with front legs fully extended and his sternum rotated
              forward and his head below his chest. This was an
              occasional occurence that became an everyday several
              times per day event immediately before diagnosis.

              Open mouth breathing was one of the things I noticed
              very early on. It was not until he was 19 months old
              that I sought an expert opinion. My previous young cat
              who presented suddenly with HCM/CHF who died did also
              exhibit exercise induced open mouth breathing on
              occasion in the year before his death. Open mouth
              breathing (dyspnea) is not always HCM, it can be
              asthma but I do not believe it is ever considered
              normal in cats. (unlike dogs)

              Susan
              >
              > --- "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@...>"
              > <Claire.Doran@...> wrote:
              > > Hi Group
              > >
              > >>
              > > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal
              > "maniac"
              > > kitten with much
              > > too much energy but I have noticed that when she
              > is
              > > having her mad
              > > moments and running around she pants like a dog.
              > > The first time it
              > > happened it was a very hot day so I just though
              > she
              > > was overheating
              > > but last night she started it again and it was
              > quite
              > > cool. She
              > > doesn't continue panting once she stops the
              > activity
              > > - just breathes
              > > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is
              > > running/chasing.
              > >
              > > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of
              > > thing?
              >
              > Claire,
              >
              > Since I had two kittens (unrelated) to compare I
              > came
              > to the conclusion that open mouth breathing is not
              > normal.
              >
              > My cat Rudy (not quite 2) who is 1 week younger
              > than
              > Chester did the panting during exercise last summer
              > and Chester did not. Rudy was also adversely
              > affected
              > by heat even though Chester should have been the one
              > affected due to his portlyness. The first vet I
              > expressed my concerns to dismissed me entirely and
              > called Rudy a "nervous nellie". I took it upon
              > myself
              > to schedule w/o a referral a check up with an
              > internal
              > medicine vet who did not consider open mouth
              > breathing
              > to be insignificant. He discovered a low grade
              > murmur
              > which caused him to perform an echo which revealed a
              > hyperkinetic heart which was borderline normal for
              > thickening. My vet prescribed Atenolol and aspirin.
              > A
              > 1 month recheck showed no murmur and a much
              > smoother
              > echo.
              >
              > It is only because of my previous experience with
              > HCM
              > that I was looking for the most trivial symptoms. I
              > probably have the most early diagnosis HCM cat on
              > this
              > list. Eary diagnosis can make a difference in both
              > long term survival and vet bills. I personally would
              > rather know early. Unfortunately the majority of GP
              > vets do not have the experience or equipment to
              > diagnose HCM in it's early stages. Xrays are
              > virtually
              > worthless. So you may not get a definitive answer
              > unless you seek out the vets who do echos. You said
              > the breeder had her cats screened, is your kitten
              > one
              > of the at-risk breeds?
              >
              > Since starting meds Rudy's stamina has improved
              > significantly, though I will have to wait for warmer
              > weather and longer days to observe the kind of
              > running
              > and playing outside that caused open mouthed
              > breathing
              > last summer.
              >
              > Susan
              >
              > =====
              > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed
              > 09-2002 at 19 months of age with idiopathic HCM:
              > grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic heart, borderline
              > normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
              > Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week
              > administered via pilling
              >
              > __________________________________________________
              > Do you Yahoo!?
              > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
              > now.
              > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              >
              > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              > feline-heart-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              >
              >
              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              >
              >


              __________________________________________________
              Do you Yahoo!?
              Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.