update on Merlyn's heart

  • Dana Rulf (merlynsmama) <drulf@coresys.c
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi,
      Had Merlyn at the vet today to see the cardiologist re: his enlarged
      heart (found while doing x-ray when he had the URI).

      His blood pressure checked out ok (by Doppler), and there is no murmur
      or gallup; pulse is normal. There is enlargement in virtually all
      areas of his heart, though, but hypertension and idiopathic HCM have
      been ruled out. We are starting him on Atenol (sp?), low dose because
      of the CRF, and watching for any signs of trouble, in which case we
      will start him on low dose (again because of CRF) of an ACE inhibitor.

      Also had his blood levels checked again, and YAHOO! BUN & creat went down!
      New numbers are:
      BUN 26 (was 47 on 1/16)
      creat 2.5 (was 3.6 on 1/16) -- still a little high, but still lower!

      Vet suggested trying sub-qs 2x/wk (150ml each time), we were doing
      3x/wk. We will re-check blood chem. again in 2 weeks, and if stable,
      we'll stay our new course. If rises, we'll go back to sub-qs 3x/wk.

      I am so thankful -- Merlyn has used quite a few of his '9 lives' in 15
      years, and I was afraid this might be #9. We received good news today,
      and I pray that continues. But does anyone have any ideas/experience
      with enlarged hearts that have no apparent reason for being enlarged?
      The only idea the cardiologist had was that it might have been
      "secondary to hyperthyroidism" which Merlyn had, but we had the I-131
      treatment done last April (and he improved GREATLY afterwards!).

      Any feedback would be welcome.
      Thanks --
      Dana