Re: [FH] Please tell me I'm just paranoid

  • Coonity
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      Claire, I am not the most experienced person in heart diseases - at least I have never yet seen a cat suffer from it - but I hope I can calm you a bit, although a check-up from your vet will be a good idea.

      My showneuter Rasputin had the same symptoms for several months when he was a kitten (5 months and older) and I really worried about it. I phoned with the breeder because I knew she had his parents tested for HCM annually. She advised me to have him examined by my vet and I did - everything was fine. But everytime he had his "wild minutes" he panted very strong with tongue out and it took him quite some time to recover. So I planned to screen him as soon as possible.
      Then I found us a big appartement and was completely occupied with all the adaption and renovation work and preparation for the move. So time passed by. Now this appartement happens to have a huge outdoor run ... and suddenly Rasputin's panting was gone completely. So it seems the panting had been a result of a lack of training - just like you and me would have to go for a hard sprint while leaving like a couch-potatoe for the rest of the month.

      Maybe this helps a bit for the moment?

      Kindest regards,
      Ulrike Illia
      Coonity Maine Coons