Please tell me I'm just paranoid

  • orielton2 <Claire.Doran@dier.tas.gov.au>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3 4:15 PM
      Hi Group

      I have a question regarding my new kitty "Spackle" who came to me
      after Sprocket left me just before Xmas due to CRF.

      Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac" kitten with much
      too much energy but I have noticed that when she is having her mad
      moments and running around she pants like a dog. The first time it
      happened it was a very hot day so I just though she was overheating
      but last night she started it again and it was quite cool. She
      doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity - just breathes
      fast and noisily through her mouth while she is running/chasing.

      Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of thing? I'm
      worried in case she has a problem and will make sure she gets her
      heart & lungs checked out at next vet trip - but I just wondered if I
      am being paranoid - I'm so scared of going through another sick kitty
      trauma just yet.

      Please tell me I have nothing to worry about!!!

      Claire, Basil, Spackle & Angel Sprocket
    • diane
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3 5:04 PM
        Claire,

        While Kali has not panted for me yet, often when I pick her up she
        gives a little gasp. Totally knocks me out when she does that.

        I had the vet check her of course, and all is well. If it will put
        your mind at ease by all means bring her in for a visit.

        Diane
      • Dana Rulf (merlynsmama) <drulf@coresys.c
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3 5:44 PM
          Hi Claire,

          I don't blame you a bit for being worried...after going through CRF
          (and still going), I find myself constantly re-examining my 2 cats'
          behaviors "is that normal?" "should I worry?" etc.

          But, in this case, I think what Spackle is doing is normal. It can't
          hurt to have him checked out next vet visit, but I wouldn't worry much
          in the meantime unless you see other bothersome symptoms appear. I
          remember both Merlyn & Tully doing the panting when they were kittens,
          and Tully even does it now if we really get him going! It stops as
          soon as he slows down or stops. I think it's just like people when we
          get our heart rates up and run around like crazy!

          Congrats on Spackle -- take care of each other!
          Dana
          Merlyn & Tully

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@d...>"
          <Claire.Doran@d...> wrote:
          > Hi Group
          >
          > I have a question regarding my new kitty "Spackle" who came to me
          > after Sprocket left me just before Xmas due to CRF.
          >
          > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac" kitten with much
          > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is having her mad
          > moments and running around she pants like a dog. The first time it
          > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she was overheating
          > but last night she started it again and it was quite cool. She
          > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity - just breathes
          > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is running/chasing.
          >
          > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of thing? I'm
          > worried in case she has a problem and will make sure she gets her
          > heart & lungs checked out at next vet trip - but I just wondered if I
          > am being paranoid - I'm so scared of going through another sick kitty
          > trauma just yet.
          >
          > Please tell me I have nothing to worry about!!!
          >
          > Claire, Basil, Spackle & Angel Sprocket
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4 10:50 AM
            --- "orielton2 <Claire.Doran@...>"
            <Claire.Doran@...> wrote:
            > Hi Group
            >

            > Spackle is 12 weeks old and is your normal "maniac"
            > kitten with much
            > too much energy but I have noticed that when she is
            > having her mad
            > moments and running around she pants like a dog.
            > The first time it
            > happened it was a very hot day so I just though she
            > was overheating
            > but last night she started it again and it was quite
            > cool. She
            > doesn't continue panting once she stops the activity
            > - just breathes
            > fast and noisily through her mouth while she is
            > running/chasing.
            >
            > Has anyone else noticed kitties doing this sort of
            > thing?

            Claire,

            Since I had two kittens (unrelated) to compare I came
            to the conclusion that open mouth breathing is not
            normal.

            My cat Rudy (not quite 2) who is 1 week younger than
            Chester did the panting during exercise last summer
            and Chester did not. Rudy was also adversely affected
            by heat even though Chester should have been the one
            affected due to his portlyness. The first vet I
            expressed my concerns to dismissed me entirely and
            called Rudy a "nervous nellie". I took it upon myself
            to schedule w/o a referral a check up with an internal
            medicine vet who did not consider open mouth breathing
            to be insignificant. He discovered a low grade murmur
            which caused him to perform an echo which revealed a
            hyperkinetic heart which was borderline normal for
            thickening. My vet prescribed Atenolol and aspirin. A
            1 month recheck showed no murmur and a much smoother
            echo.

            It is only because of my previous experience with HCM
            that I was looking for the most trivial symptoms. I
            probably have the most early diagnosis HCM cat on this
            list. Eary diagnosis can make a difference in both
            long term survival and vet bills. I personally would
            rather know early. Unfortunately the majority of GP
            vets do not have the experience or equipment to
            diagnose HCM in it's early stages. Xrays are virtually
            worthless. So you may not get a definitive answer
            unless you seek out the vets who do echos. You said
            the breeder had her cats screened, is your kitten one
            of the at-risk breeds?

            Since starting meds Rudy's stamina has improved
            significantly, though I will have to wait for warmer
            weather and longer days to observe the kind of running
            and playing outside that caused open mouthed breathing
            last summer.

            Susan

            =====

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4 2:28 PM
              Dear friend,
              I'm certainly in no position to tell you whether you should worry
              or not, but I can just share my experience with this. My eldest cat
              Chez, who is pushing 16 years old, has always panted for just a
              moment of over exertion. He has no heart disease, at least none that
              my vet has detected. He is rather over weight. His panting has
              never gone more than a few seconds and I only see this when he's
              really wound up or hot. My cat Checkers that did die suddenly from
              HCM, NEVER panted until the moment he was in heart failure. Checkers
              was quite young when he died (18 months old) and his symptoms were
              hidden until he died. So as for the panting, it may or may not be a
              concern. I would watch more for her breathing rate at rest time.
              Peteycat

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5 9:23 AM
                --- Susan <somnamblst@...> wrote:

                I wanted to add that exercise induced open mouth
                breathing was only 1 of 5 subtle symptoms that caused
                me to seek out an evaluation from an Internal Medicine
                vet. One of the things that helped me to notice these
                very subtle symptoms was that I had 2 almost identical
                age unrelated kittens to compare. Chester never did
                any of the 5 things that Rudy did.

                The differences between the 2 kittens were:

                Rudy's resting respiration rate was noticeably faster
                than Chester's
                Rudy would sprint and then suddenly lay down stretched
                out breathing rapidly
                Rudy was affected by heat that did not phase Chester
                Rudy would sometimes breath with an open mouth briefly
                Rudy was positioning himself on a hard objects edge
                with front legs fully extended and his sternum rotated
                forward and his head below his chest. This was an
                occasional occurence that became an everyday several
                times per day event immediately before diagnosis.

                Open mouth breathing was one of the things I noticed
                very early on. It was not until he was 19 months old
                that I sought an expert opinion. My previous young cat
                who presented suddenly with HCM/CHF who died did also
                exhibit exercise induced open mouth breathing on
                occasion in the year before his death. Open mouth
                breathing (dyspnea) is not always HCM, it can be
                asthma but I do not believe it is ever considered
                normal in cats. (unlike dogs)

                Susan

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com