hi i am new to this

  • jebroussard <jebroussard@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
      my cat(cotton) 14yrs old has resently gone blind. they though it
      could be high blood pressure. but i had that check and it was not
      high. but they found that she does have an enlarged heart. but still
      not sure why she is blind. she has been a dietbetic most of her life.
      her sister died last sept. 2002 . she has an appt. feb. 13 to get her
      eyes check with a spealist. they have started her on atenolol 25mg,
      she only to get 1/2 a pill a day. also they want me to give her
      childrens asprin every three days. this morning she had a will bad
      attach of the sneezes/cough. does this mean anything. no one has
      really discussed what i am to watch out for. i know what to doe with
      her dietbeties. they also did blood work on her and every thing came
      back good. thyroid , kidney with good.

      thanks for letting me vent
      i hate not knowing what to do.
      cotton's mom
    • Molly
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hi there,
        Is Cotton a white kitty? The reason I ask I because when I adopted my Duchess the shelter told me white kitties have genetic dispostion toward blindness, especially if they have blue eyes. I know in humans diabetes is a cause of blindness, so it may be the same in cats.
        I know how you feel not knowing and how frustrating it is. Good luck to you and your baby Cotton!
        Molly
        "jebroussard <jebroussard@...>" <jebroussard@...> wrote:my cat(cotton) 14yrs old has resently gone blind. they though it

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
          Dear friend,
          Welcome to the board. No doubt, you will find alot of good info
          from others here about heart and other related conditions. I too
          have heard about white cats(if Cotton is indeed white!) having that
          predisposition to blindness. I also agree that diabetis, even if
          it's well controlled, can cause blindness in people so it's possible
          in Cotton's case.
          Do mention the sneezing to your vet. Cats (and people) can have
          allergic reactions to aspirin, which can be serious. The most
          dangerous reaction would be an asthma attack. So the sneezing is
          deffinity worth watching. Good luck.
          Peteycat

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jebroussard