RE: [feline-heart] Pebbles

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
      voula,
      yes I am very interested.
      Thx in advance,
      Linda and Pum

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Voula Augerinos [mailto:catwoman1@...]
      Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 7:17 AM
      To: feline-hyperT@egroups.com
      Cc: feline-heart@egroups.com
      Subject: [feline-heart] Pebbles

      Hi everyone,
      well today is the second day of Pebbles beta blocker drugs for her
      heart. No bad reactions so far. Her heart rate before the dose was 200
      beats a minute, and one hour after the dose was 160 beats a minute. So it
      did lower her heart rate today. I looked up some websites and it seems
      propranolol is given a couple of times a day. So perhaps one dose may not
      maintain the heart rate at a lower level throughout the day.
      I also got some CoQ10 and I will start that today. I found a list of
      supplements for feline cardiomyopathy in "Four Paws Five Directions" by
      Cheryl Schwartz DVM.
      If anyone is interested I can send the list of supplements.
      Love, Voula and Pebbles and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.

    • brunobaby
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2000
        Voula writes:

        > Pebbles has been on Inderal (one quarter tablet twice a day) for about

        >6 weeks. I haven't noticed any increase in energy like Pongo. I do
        notice
        >she seems calmer and less bothered

        That's a good thing. Steadying the thyroid steadies the energy and keeps
        her from extreme ups and downs.

        Having Phoebe on Tapezole, vitamins and Wellness canned food has turned
        her from a snarling furball into an affectionate purr-bucket. Visitors
        can't believe she's the same cat and want to know what we did with the
        Mean One. <G>

        I don't know why vets give one heart med over another. It may have to do
        with the cause of the ailment, or what stage it's in.

        My father's had heart troubles for decades and says they're always
        changing the types and dosages of his meds. And he's done all the same
        meds as Pongo, except he takes them with a lot less trouble.

        --Melinda
      • Voula Augerinos
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
          Hi Melinda,
          thanks for your reply. We haven't started Pebbles on Tapazole /
          neo-mercazol (Australian equivalent) as yet. We will be looking at a low
          starting dose at the next ultrasound of Pebbles' heart.
          I am interested as to how Phoebe is going overall on the Tapazole. Has
          she had any side effects, and does she have any kidney problems? Also what
          dose are you giving?

          > Having Phoebe on Tapezole, vitamins and Wellness canned food has turned
          > her from a snarling furball into an affectionate purr-bucket. Visitors
          > can't believe she's the same cat and want to know what we did with the
          > Mean One. <G>

          Yes I think the main reason Pebbles was given Inderal was to slow her
          heart rate. I have been doing some research on Inderal. Inderal is also
          commonly used in people with hyperthyroidism to slow the heart rate and to
          block effects of excess thyroid hormone on the heart. It also has some
          anti-adrenaline effect and so would make a person or an animal feel calmer.
          In cases where Tapazole is not tolerated, Inderal is used to protect the
          heart.

          > I don't know why vets give one heart med over another. It may have to do
          > with the cause of the ailment, or what stage it's in.
          >
          > My father's had heart troubles for decades and says they're always
          > changing the types and dosages of his meds. And he's done all the same
          > meds as Pongo, except he takes them with a lot less trouble.
          Yes my father's high blood pressure medication is often changed too.
          But in his case I think he complains more than Pebbles! LOL
        • Voula Augerinos
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
              > Hi everyone,
              > the past couple of days Pebbles' bowel movements have been normal.
              She
              > has had no more vomiting since early Monday morning when she brought up
              two
              > furballs and no more diarrhea since she passed two furballs in her stool
              > Wednesday morning. This morning she went to the litter a few times and
              > produced small motions. Then a few moments ago she went again and had a >
              small amount of
              > diarrhea again. Now she is under the bed. She has been sleeping on the
              bed
              > the past few days. Could this be a reactive diarrhea to being a bit
              > constipated? Any suggestions? She is eating well. Could it be more fur
              > balls or her thyroid? We started her on thyroid medication for her
              > hyperthyroidism last Sunday. She appeared to be tolerating it well. I
              hope
              > and pray we are not going to have another episode of vomiting, diarrhea
              and
              > lack of appetite. I am starting to feel nervous again. Perhaps she is not
              > drinking enough? Would some added fibre in her diet be helpful? A bit of
              > catalax? The vet at the hospital said not to give her catalax if she is
              > having diarrhea. Our vet said to give her a little.
              > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
              > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
              >
              > TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, email to:
              >
              > All messages sent to feline-crf-support@egroups.com are Copyright 2000 by
              the original author. Do not forward or excerpt to another group or
              nonmember without the author's permission.