Propranolol and heart disease

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
      Hi everyone,
      I received a message from another group that Kary's Spike from the CRF
      group died of a heart attack, and that it was felt that the heart attack
      was precipitated by propranolol. The darling kitty had CHFand fluid in the
      chest..
      As you know Pebbles is on propranolol for HCM caused by
      hyperthyroidism. Should I panic? Would the ultrasound not have shown fluid
      on the chest if it was there?
      Is CHF the end result of HCM?
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
        Hi Voula,
        yes, the ultrasound could have shown fluid in the cavity if it was there.
        CHF is only one of the possibilities and is the one that is most likely for
        our babies that have rec'd treatment successfully for a number of years. My
        vet has told me that I must prepare myself for this and for the moment when
        I must let go bec it's harder and there is too much suffering past a certain
        point for the pusscats. I think that you need to talk more to your vet....do
        they have a support group in the office? Many do but you can also find
        support groups in your city maybe and of course, we're all here.

        Stay calm, Pebbles needs you to remain objective and calm and above all,
        keep asking questions and more questions....as i always "say" the only
        stupid question is one that wasn't asked! Knowledge is the most important
        thing for you and Pebbles right now.

        Purrs,
        Linda and Pum