Re: [feline-heart] diltiazem (a ferret mom's thanks)

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      "Celia C." wrote:

      > Anyways, just wanted to add my little story. After my ferret, Cokie, got her first dose of diltiazem she zonked out sleeping for hours. What was unusual was that I could pick her up and walk around with her and she would hardly stir. Even though this is not *that* unusual for ferrets, it was unusual for her! I was worried, and she remained groggier than usual for a week or so while getting the diltiazem. We reduced her dose, (from 3.75 to 3.0 mg 2X day) and after a week (or so) on the smaller dose she is doing great! Back to her pre-heart disease activity levels!

      HI Celia,
      Good thought on the dosage. Each animal's needs will vary. It sounds like Cokie's bp was lowered too much on the first dose which would have made her sleepy/low energy of course. I have noticed that most vets tend to prescribe too high a dose at first. It may be safer to start low and go up as needed.

      Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
    • Celia C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        First of all, thanks for *all* of the posts about diltiazem. Very helpful! I did not even get around to posting a question about it before the posts came rolling in! Wow. Your amazing psychic powers must come from the cats, right? :) Especially a BIG "Thanks" to Jill for her story of Oliver!!

        Anyways, just wanted to add my little story. After my ferret, Cokie, got her first dose of diltiazem she zonked out sleeping for hours. What was unusual was that I could pick her up and walk around with her and she would hardly stir. Even though this is not *that* unusual for ferrets, it was unusual for her! I was worried, and she remained groggier than usual for a week or so while getting the diltiazem. We reduced her dose, (from 3.75 to 3.0 mg 2X day) and after a week (or so) on the smaller dose she is doing great! Back to her pre-heart disease activity levels! We also use a gel form of diltiazem so that she doesn't have to taste anything--just rub it on her skin! (It is really great to have if you're having trouble like I was in getting her to take it.)

        That's really all I had to say--Thanks!!

        Celia

      • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
          a heartwarming story and outcome.

          you and Cokie are in our thoughts and prayers,
          Linda and Pum