Re: [FH] cough? help!

  • Carol Thompson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
      From my experience, if he continues to do this you might want to get it checked out. Last spring my cat Max started having coughing spells like you describe. I truly thought it was hairballs, especially because they seemed to decrease when I started giving him hairball medicine and brushing him more. I didn't do any more about it for awhile (mainly because my time and attention were taken up by a (human) family health crisis). Around the first of August the spells became much worse and he was breathing hard so I took him to the vet right away. The diagnosis was asthma and Max responded immediately to the injection the vet gave.

      (For any other cat, this would have been the end of the story. However, Max had had many health problems and very many different medications in the past. After doing very well for a couple of weeks, he took a turn for the worse and in the end had to be put to sleep because of recurring chylothroax, an accumulation of lymphatic fluid around the lungs. This is the very short version of Max's story and in no way would I want to suggest that you might be in for something like this -- just that it could be something like asthma which I understand is not too difficult to treat.)

      I hope this is the end of Sinbad's coughing -- for your sake and his!

      Carol

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
        I usually look for panting, open mouth breathing and a higher than "normal"
        respiratory rate, which I try and get when he's sleeping/at rest. I also look
        at his eyes. Try and judge his alertness and response to my being a pain in
        his butt. :-) (I now know why he never lets me sleep at night...just
        returning the favor. :-)

        I also have a stethescope which I sometime use to try and listen to his
        lungs. But sometimes, I can hear his breathing/lungs with a bare ear if he's
        sleeping.

        Annette

        ~~~~~~
        Mr. P.K. Moth: Male DMH (suspected Maine Coon), diagnosed 8/2000 at approx. 2
        years old with Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia (TVD), with secondary right heart
        failure: Grade 4 murmur, galloping rhythmn, considerable thickening.
        Currently asymptomatic for heart failure. 1 mg Enalapril 2x/day. Vet approved
        supplements: 75 mg CoQ10, 250 mg Taurine, 500mg Lysine, each 1x/day.

        trishchic2002@... writes:

        > Subj: Re: [FH] cough? help!
        > Date: 1/3/03 9:01:41 PM Central Standard Time
        > From: <A HREF="mailto:trishchic2002@...">trishchic2002@...</A>
        > To: <A HREF="mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com">feline-heart@yahoogroups.com</A>
        > Sent from the Internet
        >

        > Thanks Annette. He is trying to go back to sleep now. Sinbad has
        > never been prone to hairballs - I have seen them. He's probably
        > about due for one.
        >
        > What signs? Lethargy, vomiting, blue gums, etc.? I just took him
        > yesterday for his first bloodwork recheck and the numbers look ok,
        > except for 1 - the CPK number was a little high. I don't know what
        > that is. My regular vet didn't hear any fluid and from the xrays
        > (which were done 12/10002) didn't show any. The internal medicine
        > vet didn't see or hear any fluid either. I'm going to call my vet in
        > the morning and talk to her. I hate to have to rush him back to the
        > vet after he went yesterday. I'm pretty sure he hates me right now.
        >
        > Trish
        >
        > hchic2002@y... writes:
        > >
        > >>Subj: [FH] cough? help!
        > >> Date: 1/3/03 8:17:31 PM Central Standard Time
        > >> From: <A HREF="mailto:trishchic2002@y...">trishchic2002@y...</A>
        > >> To: <A HREF="mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com">feline-
        > heart@yahoogroups.com</A>
        > >> Sent from the Internet
        > >>

        > >>Ok. Sinbad just coughed for like 15 seconds. I have heard a cat
        > do
        > >>this before but I didn't know what it was. It sounds like they
        > are
        > >>hacking up a hairball but nothing follows (nothing solid). Is
        > this a
        > >>cough to be concerned about? I'm having a coniption fit here.
        > Don't
        > >>know if I should call my vet or if this is something that I will
        > have
        > >>to get used to. help!
        > >>

        > >>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Lynnie Henderson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
          Trish, you might want to get a stethoscope and get the vet to show you where
          to listen and what to listen for - both for fluid in the lungs and to take
          the heart rate when you get worried about it. You can get one for around $5
          at a medical uniform supply store. It saved me a lot of vet trips, I'm sure
          -- I know it saved me many hours of sitting and watching Freckles breathe!

          I do NOT think this case sounds like pneumonia, but just FYI in the future,
          no fluid in the lungs one day doesn't necessarily mean no fluid the next
          day. Freckles once had an appointment on a Friday and all was clear, but by
          Saturday afternoon she was panting and breathing fast - her lungs were 1/3
          full of fluid and she had to be put under oxygen for a few hours.
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
            If he had an ultrasound recently I think that any fluids in the "wrong"
            place would've showed up on the ultrasound.

            Linda and the boys

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
              Trish...you are just being a great cat mom....Sinbad knows that you love
              him!

              Linda

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, adawson1971@a... wrote:
              > Definitely keep an eye on him and watch for any other signs of
              respiratory
              > distress
              >
              > It could be a hairball that's working it's way up. When this
              happen to Moth
              > I dab a bit of petroleum jelly on his paw to help ease the
              hairball's way up.
              > (He doesn't like treats and he absolutely hates petromalt). Moth
              does this
              > about once a month or so, but in the 2+ years that I've had him,
              I've only
              > ever seen 1 actual hairball.
              >
              > He was "coughing" very regularly last spring. One weekend it was
              almost ever
              > hour on the hour. Or course there was no hairball. I got him to
              the vets and
              > it turned out to be a simple (but tough to get rid of) "cold".
              (upper

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
                Sometimes Pum coughs....but the vet didn't think it was a problem with his
                heart affecting his breathing....Pum is prone to asthma and so that is the
                most likely cause....Does Sinbad "snore"? Pum has always "snored" even as a
                kitten.....it's the asthma with him.

                Linda