Re: Cat has been diagnosed w/ hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

  • Steph <sschoff@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hi John, I am so sorry to hear about Winston's difficulties. If you
      can, I would bring him to a veterinary cardiologist ASAP to have an
      echocardiogram. Maybe Winston needs more/different medication then
      he is receiving. There are some folks on this list whose cats have
      had saddle thrombus so hopefully they can share their experiences
      with you.

      Our cat, Gus, while he has not thrown a clot, is high risk for blood
      clots. He was on 81mg aspirin every 3 days for about 6 months and
      then a 1cm clot was seen in his heart in August `02 (via
      echocardiogram). The vet recommended that he be put on a more
      potent blood thinner. We talked to a few cardiologists who all
      believed aspirin was not effective for his situation. Gus has
      severe hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy and a very large left
      atrium with spontaneous contrast. Under the direction of our vet
      cardiologist, Gus is now on a low molecular weight heparin injection
      1x/day (Lovenox).

      Did the vet initially give Winston a more potent blood thinner? Our
      vet told us that if Gus throws a clot to rush him to the vet ASAP so
      they can administer heparin, among other things.
      I guess every situation is different. I hope some of this info.
      helps.

      Here's a good link on thromboembolic disease:
      http://www.ovrs.com/info/felthrom.html

      We will keep you both in our thoughts.
      Keep us posted.

      Steph & Gus
      http://home.earthlink.net/~sschoff/index.html

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jnewland27 <jnewland27@y...>"
      <jnewland27@y...> wrote:
      > Our Winston was recently diagnosed with hypertrophic
      cardiomyopathy.

      > He had an "episode" a week ago. We found him near his food bowl,
      and
      > when he tried to stand, his back legs would not respond (saddle
      > thrombus). We did not know what happened, but after a short period
      of
      > time, he was able to use both legs, but one foot was not
      responsive.

      > We took him to the vet, but for some reason, the vet did not
      diagnose
      > him at this time. We brought him home, and he began to get better
      and
      > better. He had full use of his back foot, and was eating again.
      >
      > Exactly a week later, he had another episode. We found him laying
      on
      > the floor upstairs, and he was panting. Again, he did not have the
      use
      > of his legs (but it was all 4). We calmed him down, and his
      breathing
      > became normal again. The paralysis was in his front right paw this
      > time. It was late at night, so we waited til the next morning to
      call
      > the vet. They said bring him in right away. Well, with the help of
      an
      > x-ray, he was finally diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. A
      > diagnosis that I was dreading. We are attempting to set up an
      > appointment for a echo-cardiogram to pinpoint the diagnosis and get
      > him on a proper drug.
      >
      > He stayed at the ICU unit for approx. 24 hours, and was sent home.
      He