Urgent advice needed !

  • Michael Hardesty
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
      Our baby cat, Gina, just over two, was diagnosed
      seven weeks ago with FIV.
      The good news is that all of her cell counts
      have dramatically improved in the last month,
      neutrophils went from 300 to 10,000 ! Red & white
      counts are normal, she's eating very well, grooming
      herslf, purring again, even got outside for a brief
      while the other day, her temperature is back to
      normal.
      Bad news is she is still losing weight, after hovering
      around 8-8 1/2 lbs for several weeks, she was over 10
      lbs originally before illness, she has now dropped
      down to 7 lbs, I take her in three times, now two
      times starting this week, for epogen shots and the
      intravenous fluids (which she loves !)but she still
      has diarrhea after three weeks on flagyl and also
      kaopectate the last week. The vets, whom I've spent
      3K since she first was diagnosed, don't seem to
      know what's the cause or diagnosis, and I have
      had to bring up the weight loss issue myself ! I'm
      getting a second opinion next week but am really
      upset about this. I've been told by the vets and
      others
      that cats can live a long life with FIV but Gina
      can't afford to keep losing weight at this rate.
      We've been feeding AD & ID can foods, Bumblebee
      tuna in water, roast beeef, turkey breat treats,
      various kitty can treats, IAMS & Science Diet
      dried foods and she does drink water.
      Flagyl daily for diarrhea and it is also an
      antibiotic plus kaopetate, 3 mil once or twice
      a day.
      Any suggestions are much appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Michael

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
        Michael,

        I am sorry to hear that Gina is still doing poorly. From you last posts, I had
        hoped she was on the road to recovery.

        I think it's time to be more aggressive about seeking out a specific diagnosis
        for her problem. I would push the new vet on this. If he/she doesn't seem
        inclined to pursue it, find someone who will. And, please keep in mind that
        whatever the problem is, it may have nothing to do with her FIV+ status.

        --
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,