Re: [FH] Meatloaf position

  • Lynnie Henderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
      Freckles did this all the time; Punky rarely did. My new kit, Teensy, does
      it but, so far, Buddy does not. It's a cat thing.

      > It sounds to me that this is not a position related only to HCM
      > kitties, and perhaps Gizmo's HCM has nothing to do with his sitting
      > this way?
    • diane
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
        Before the net, I always believed a meatloaf position meant a happy
        cat. Although maybe it still does providing they are tucked in nice
        and tight?

        When Tim's first cat developed a tumor in her chest and had fluid in
        her lungs, she could no longer curl up in her tight little ball.

        All of our cats at one time or another will sit in the meatloaf
        position, usually with a very content look on their faces. :)

        Diane

        >This makes sense to me. I have another cat that does not like Gizmo,
        >and frequently hisses at him. He's probably on gaurd because of her.
        >It sounds to me that this is not a position related only to HCM
        >kitties, and perhaps Gizmo's HCM has nothing to do with his sitting
        >this way?
        >Thanks Lynnie
        >--- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lynnie Henderson
        ><TheLinster@s...> wrote:
        >> That's it. I call it "being in a ball." In my experience, it
        >indicates that
        >> the kit is not completely comfortable with what's going on. I
        >always just
        >> pay some extra attention and tell the kit that everything is okay.
        >Usually
        >> after a few seconds of love, the kit will relax. It's not a thing
        >to be
        >> upset about - the kitty just doesn't know what's next so is ready
        >to leave
        >> quickly if necessary.
        >> Lynnie
        >>
        >> > Gizmo lays alot on his stomach, head up straight and front and
        >back
        >> > legs tucked in. Is that the meatloaf position. Is this cause for
        > > > concern?
      • Lynnie Henderson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
          Yes, I don't think they necessarily are upset - just not quite sure. I know
          how to spot it more than I know how to describe it! I think I read something
          about it on the net or in a book - I'll check.

          > Before the net, I always believed a meatloaf position meant a happy
          > cat. Although maybe it still does providing they are tucked in nice
          > and tight?
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
            --- "lois_051958 <ljones432@...>"
            <ljones432@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the info Susan.
            >
            > Yes, Gizmo does lay on his side, sometime he curls
            > up and sometimes
            > stretched out. He usually sits as I described when
            > he's up on the
            > kitchen counter watching what I am doing.
            >
            > What are abducted elbows? DOes that me tucked
            > under?
            >
            > Lois

            Lois,

            I think the time to start worrying is when the cat
            only sits in the sternal recumbancy position. And if
            you read the Emergency Respiratory Distress article
            when a cat goes from sternal to lateral recumbancy
            respiratory arrest could be imminent.

            Susan

            =====

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Sally J.Smith <sallymerlin@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
              Greetings all caregivers,

              While this information about a cats lying position is useful, it
              may also be terribly and unnecessarily frightening. One must take into
              account more than just the kitties position when resting in trying to
              assess how dire a kits condition may be.

              All his 18 1/2 years Muffin often rested/dozed in the "meatlof"
              position...way before he had any heart conditions at all. My kittens
              do it now, and they are HCM free.

              Then, when Muffin was Dxd with HCM, he would still sometimes
              sit/doze in that position...and would often go from that position to
              lying on his side! But he was just getting more comfortable!

              Finally, when he was in congestive heart failure stage, he mostly
              slept all stretched out on his side, mainly because his belly was
              often full of fluid.

              I say this because IF Muffin was still with me and if I was a new
              person reading this list's postings I would be rather freaked out by
              now with all these dire warnings about the "meatlof" position!

              We caregivers need to view the whole cat; does the kitty have a
              history of sleeping/dozing/meditating in this position? If so, it may
              just be natural for them. Does the kitty show any other signs of
              respiratory distress? How far along is the kits CHF? How is the
              heartrate, eating, drinking...etc. etc. etc...

              All these factors taken into account en total will need to be
              evaluated by the one who knows the kitty best, the primary caregiver,
              and then if you are still concerned, call your vet...but please don't
              assume that if your kit is dozing in the "meatloaf" position and then
              happens to roll over on it's side, that it is about to expire!

              By all means, do pay attention, but keep in mind that many kitties
              just sleep this way naturally.

              Best wishes to all

              Sally

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

              > --- "lois_051958 <ljones432@e...>"
              > <ljones432@e...> wrote:
              > > Thanks for the info Susan.
              > >
              > > Yes, Gizmo does lay on his side, sometime he curls
              > > up and sometimes
              > > stretched out. He usually sits as I described when
              > > he's up on the
              > > kitchen counter watching what I am doing.
              > >
              > > What are abducted elbows? DOes that me tucked
              > > under?
              > >
              > > Lois
              >
              > Lois,
              >
              > I think the time to start worrying is when the cat
              > only sits in the sternal recumbancy position. And if
              > you read the Emergency Respiratory Distress article
              > when a cat goes from sternal to lateral recumbancy
              > respiratory arrest could be imminent.
              >
              > Susan
              >

              > =====
              > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
              months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic heart,
              borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
              Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

            • lois_051958 <ljones432@earthlink.net>
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                Thanks for putting the meatloaf position into perspective. I had
                never heard of this position before, and assumed it was related to
                kitties with HCM and was a becoming concerned about Gizmo sitting
                that way.
                Thank you to everyone for enlightening me, I am very relieved.
                Lois
                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sally J.Smith

              • diane
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                  This is a bad example due to the hair, but this is Frisky in the
                  meatloaf position.

                  http://74ghia.com/cats/catpix/frisky/f91/91_2_15.jpg

                  Another not so good one of Missy:
                  http://74ghia.com/cats/catpix/missy/missy/99_31_5.jpg

                  I swear I have a good one someplace. :)

                  If you look here: http://74ghia.com/cats/html/intro.html there is
                  Zeus in the modified meatloaf on top of our scratching pole.

                  Diane

                • bcowell <bcowell@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                    Hi Sally,
                    You are right, I was sitting there stressing about cat positions.
                    Bobo lies around in so many strange positions and he always had, but
                    now I worry if I see him in a position that might be
                    thought "meatloaf". Thanks for putting it in perspective!
                    Brigitte