Re: [FH] Meatloaf position

  • lois_051958 <ljones432@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
      This makes sense to me. I have another cat that does not like Gizmo,
      and frequently hisses at him. He's probably on gaurd because of her.
      It sounds to me that this is not a position related only to HCM
      kitties, and perhaps Gizmo's HCM has nothing to do with his sitting
      this way?
      Thanks Lynnie
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lynnie Henderson
      <TheLinster@s...> wrote:
      > That's it. I call it "being in a ball." In my experience, it
      indicates that
      > the kit is not completely comfortable with what's going on. I
      always just
      > pay some extra attention and tell the kit that everything is okay.
      Usually
      > after a few seconds of love, the kit will relax. It's not a thing
      to be
      > upset about - the kitty just doesn't know what's next so is ready
      to leave
      > quickly if necessary.
      > Lynnie
      >
      > > Gizmo lays alot on his stomach, head up straight and front and
      back
      > > legs tucked in. Is that the meatloaf position. Is this cause for
      > > concern?
    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
        Freckles did this all the time; Punky rarely did. My new kit, Teensy, does
        it but, so far, Buddy does not. It's a cat thing.

        > It sounds to me that this is not a position related only to HCM
        > kitties, and perhaps Gizmo's HCM has nothing to do with his sitting
        > this way?
      • diane
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
          Before the net, I always believed a meatloaf position meant a happy
          cat. Although maybe it still does providing they are tucked in nice
          and tight?

          When Tim's first cat developed a tumor in her chest and had fluid in
          her lungs, she could no longer curl up in her tight little ball.

          All of our cats at one time or another will sit in the meatloaf
          position, usually with a very content look on their faces. :)

          Diane

          >This makes sense to me. I have another cat that does not like Gizmo,
          >and frequently hisses at him. He's probably on gaurd because of her.
          >It sounds to me that this is not a position related only to HCM
          >kitties, and perhaps Gizmo's HCM has nothing to do with his sitting
          >this way?
          >Thanks Lynnie
          >--- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lynnie Henderson
          ><TheLinster@s...> wrote:
          >> That's it. I call it "being in a ball." In my experience, it
          >indicates that
          >> the kit is not completely comfortable with what's going on. I
          >always just
          >> pay some extra attention and tell the kit that everything is okay.
          >Usually
          >> after a few seconds of love, the kit will relax. It's not a thing
          >to be
          >> upset about - the kitty just doesn't know what's next so is ready
          >to leave
          >> quickly if necessary.
          >> Lynnie
          >>
          >> > Gizmo lays alot on his stomach, head up straight and front and
          >back
          >> > legs tucked in. Is that the meatloaf position. Is this cause for
          > > > concern?
        • Lynnie Henderson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
            Yes, I don't think they necessarily are upset - just not quite sure. I know
            how to spot it more than I know how to describe it! I think I read something
            about it on the net or in a book - I'll check.

            > Before the net, I always believed a meatloaf position meant a happy
            > cat. Although maybe it still does providing they are tucked in nice
            > and tight?
          • Susan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
              --- "lois_051958 <ljones432@...>"
              <ljones432@...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the info Susan.
              >
              > Yes, Gizmo does lay on his side, sometime he curls
              > up and sometimes
              > stretched out. He usually sits as I described when
              > he's up on the
              > kitchen counter watching what I am doing.
              >
              > What are abducted elbows? DOes that me tucked
              > under?
              >
              > Lois

              Lois,

              I think the time to start worrying is when the cat
              only sits in the sternal recumbancy position. And if
              you read the Emergency Respiratory Distress article
              when a cat goes from sternal to lateral recumbancy
              respiratory arrest could be imminent.

              Susan

              =====

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Sally J.Smith <sallymerlin@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                Greetings all caregivers,

                While this information about a cats lying position is useful, it
                may also be terribly and unnecessarily frightening. One must take into
                account more than just the kitties position when resting in trying to
                assess how dire a kits condition may be.

                All his 18 1/2 years Muffin often rested/dozed in the "meatlof"
                position...way before he had any heart conditions at all. My kittens
                do it now, and they are HCM free.

                Then, when Muffin was Dxd with HCM, he would still sometimes
                sit/doze in that position...and would often go from that position to
                lying on his side! But he was just getting more comfortable!

                Finally, when he was in congestive heart failure stage, he mostly
                slept all stretched out on his side, mainly because his belly was
                often full of fluid.

                I say this because IF Muffin was still with me and if I was a new
                person reading this list's postings I would be rather freaked out by
                now with all these dire warnings about the "meatlof" position!

                We caregivers need to view the whole cat; does the kitty have a
                history of sleeping/dozing/meditating in this position? If so, it may
                just be natural for them. Does the kitty show any other signs of
                respiratory distress? How far along is the kits CHF? How is the
                heartrate, eating, drinking...etc. etc. etc...

                All these factors taken into account en total will need to be
                evaluated by the one who knows the kitty best, the primary caregiver,
                and then if you are still concerned, call your vet...but please don't
                assume that if your kit is dozing in the "meatloaf" position and then
                happens to roll over on it's side, that it is about to expire!

                By all means, do pay attention, but keep in mind that many kitties
                just sleep this way naturally.

                Best wishes to all

                Sally

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

                > --- "lois_051958 <ljones432@e...>"
                > <ljones432@e...> wrote:
                > > Thanks for the info Susan.
                > >
                > > Yes, Gizmo does lay on his side, sometime he curls
                > > up and sometimes
                > > stretched out. He usually sits as I described when
                > > he's up on the
                > > kitchen counter watching what I am doing.
                > >
                > > What are abducted elbows? DOes that me tucked
                > > under?
                > >
                > > Lois
                >
                > Lois,
                >
                > I think the time to start worrying is when the cat
                > only sits in the sternal recumbancy position. And if
                > you read the Emergency Respiratory Distress article
                > when a cat goes from sternal to lateral recumbancy
                > respiratory arrest could be imminent.
                >
                > Susan
                >

                > =====
                > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
                months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic heart,
                borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
                Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Thanks for putting the meatloaf position into perspective. I had
                  never heard of this position before, and assumed it was related to
                  kitties with HCM and was a becoming concerned about Gizmo sitting
                  that way.
                  Thank you to everyone for enlightening me, I am very relieved.
                  Lois
                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sally J.Smith

                • diane
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                    This is a bad example due to the hair, but this is Frisky in the
                    meatloaf position.

                    http://74ghia.com/cats/catpix/frisky/f91/91_2_15.jpg

                    Another not so good one of Missy:
                    http://74ghia.com/cats/catpix/missy/missy/99_31_5.jpg

                    I swear I have a good one someplace. :)

                    If you look here: http://74ghia.com/cats/html/intro.html there is
                    Zeus in the modified meatloaf on top of our scratching pole.

                    Diane

                  • bcowell <bcowell@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
                      Hi Sally,
                      You are right, I was sitting there stressing about cat positions.
                      Bobo lies around in so many strange positions and he always had, but
                      now I worry if I see him in a position that might be
                      thought "meatloaf". Thanks for putting it in perspective!
                      Brigitte