Re: Spoke to Widgie's vet

  • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      A friend who treats post-traumatic stress
      > victims told me that when the bad image comes up, to fade it to
      black and
      > white, then to out of focus until it disappears.

      Dear friend,
      I am very sorry about dear Widgie. I lost my cat Checkers last
      June the 30th at the tender age of 18 months. His death was very
      unexpected and traumatic and I was left suffering from Post Traumatic
      Stress. I eventually had to get some help with it and I'm very glad
      I did. I just wanted to add to what your friend told you about how
      to deal with the terribles images. I too learned about "veiwing" it
      in "black and white" but with a twist. I was taught to veiw all the
      scenes "backwards". It's hard to do at first and takes some
      practice. Running a traumatic event "backwards" in the brain
      actually tricks it into not making sense of the event. Doing this
      enough times actually takes the "sting" out of a traumatic event.
      When Checkers first died, I was bouncing off walls. I never even
      heard of Cardiomyopathy until he collapsed! I couldn't eat or sleep
      for days because all I could see was his profound suffering, that
      last day of his life. I'm much better today but have so much empathy
      for anyone that loses a cat to this horrible disease. Please feel
      free to e-mail me anytime if you just need a shoulder. Take care.
      Peteycat9

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sandler, Zellene E."
      <zellene.sandler@p...> wrote:
      > This morning, Widgie's internal med vet called me to offer his
      condolences.
      > He was on vacation when Widgie crossed the Bridge. He was very firm
      in
      > saying he thought I had done the right thing at the right time. He
      said that
      > the first time she crashed a few weeks ago, I had made the right
      decision to
      > treat her. But this time, based on the report from the emergency
      vet, he had
      > no doubt that it was her time. This was so reassuring. I had a
      nagging doubt
      > that if only I had given the Flagyl time to work, maybe she would
      have
      > rallied. In my heart, I knew that this was probably just wishful
      thinking.
      > Widgie's vet was very fond of her and I could tell he really felt
      sad. When
      > I said I was also questioning if I should have waited to have
      someone come
      > to my house to put her to sleep, he said that 99 percent of his
      clients,
      > once they make the decision, want to have it done right away.
      >
      > When I have the animal communication session tonight, I will tell
      her how
      > very much I love and miss her and ask if she's safe on the other
      side. And
      > if she has her tail back....that was the image I had of her at the
      Bridge.
      > (She had her tail amputated before I met her.)
      >
      > I am doing better today...each day is a little bit less painful.
      The images
      > of her final moments are fading. A friend who treats post-traumatic
      stress
      > victims told me that when the bad image comes up, to fade it to
      black and
      > white, then to out of focus until it disappears. What I have been
      doing is
      > replacing it with an image of the first time I saw her and she was
      so cute
      > in her little cage at the rescue place, and she licked my hand. I
      know that
      > Widgie was a real "positive thinker" and always an upbeat kitty.
      I'm trying
      > to learn that lesson from her.
      >
      > Thanks again to all of you who wrote so many comforting messages.
      That meant