Spoke to Widgie's vet

  • Sandler, Zellene E.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      This morning, Widgie's internal med vet called me to offer his condolences.
      He was on vacation when Widgie crossed the Bridge. He was very firm in
      saying he thought I had done the right thing at the right time. He said that
      the first time she crashed a few weeks ago, I had made the right decision to
      treat her. But this time, based on the report from the emergency vet, he had
      no doubt that it was her time. This was so reassuring. I had a nagging doubt
      that if only I had given the Flagyl time to work, maybe she would have
      rallied. In my heart, I knew that this was probably just wishful thinking.
      Widgie's vet was very fond of her and I could tell he really felt sad. When
      I said I was also questioning if I should have waited to have someone come
      to my house to put her to sleep, he said that 99 percent of his clients,
      once they make the decision, want to have it done right away.

      When I have the animal communication session tonight, I will tell her how
      very much I love and miss her and ask if she's safe on the other side. And
      if she has her tail back....that was the image I had of her at the Bridge.
      (She had her tail amputated before I met her.)

      I am doing better today...each day is a little bit less painful. The images
      of her final moments are fading. A friend who treats post-traumatic stress
      victims told me that when the bad image comes up, to fade it to black and
      white, then to out of focus until it disappears. What I have been doing is
      replacing it with an image of the first time I saw her and she was so cute
      in her little cage at the rescue place, and she licked my hand. I know that
      Widgie was a real "positive thinker" and always an upbeat kitty. I'm trying
      to learn that lesson from her.

      Thanks again to all of you who wrote so many comforting messages. That meant
      a great deal to me.

    • peteycat9 <Maxicat92@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        A friend who treats post-traumatic stress
        > victims told me that when the bad image comes up, to fade it to
        black and
        > white, then to out of focus until it disappears.

        Dear friend,
        I am very sorry about dear Widgie. I lost my cat Checkers last
        June the 30th at the tender age of 18 months. His death was very
        unexpected and traumatic and I was left suffering from Post Traumatic
        Stress. I eventually had to get some help with it and I'm very glad
        I did. I just wanted to add to what your friend told you about how
        to deal with the terribles images. I too learned about "veiwing" it
        in "black and white" but with a twist. I was taught to veiw all the
        scenes "backwards". It's hard to do at first and takes some
        practice. Running a traumatic event "backwards" in the brain
        actually tricks it into not making sense of the event. Doing this
        enough times actually takes the "sting" out of a traumatic event.
        When Checkers first died, I was bouncing off walls. I never even
        heard of Cardiomyopathy until he collapsed! I couldn't eat or sleep
        for days because all I could see was his profound suffering, that
        last day of his life. I'm much better today but have so much empathy
        for anyone that loses a cat to this horrible disease. Please feel
        free to e-mail me anytime if you just need a shoulder. Take care.
        Peteycat9

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sandler, Zellene E."