Re: [FH] Uh oh...[Re: Hi everyone]

  • adawson1971@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
      Moth hates being groomed in any way, shape or form. That includes brushing, nail clipping, and teeth brushing. But since brushing and nail clipping are unavoidable, I give in on the teeth brushing. Somewhat anyway. Every so often I will sneak up on him with the toothbrush and paste.

      In between brushing, I feed him Hill T/D diet for dental hygiene that I buy at the Vet's. They use it at treats, but since Moth can be iffy about eating any kind of "treat", I mix the T/d in with his regular dry food. So he gets some everyday. Some days he'll actually pick them out.

      The Dr. hasn't mentioned anything about his needing a cleaning, and since I've been using the T/d, I haven't noticed any bad breath of any kind. And his teeth appear to be in good shape. But he also gets CoQ10 daily, which I understand helps with dental health.

      Annette
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      Mr. P.K. Moth: Male DMH (suspected Maine Coon), diagnosed 8/2000 at approx. 2 years old with Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia (TVD), with secondary right heart failure: Grade 4 murmur (now 2-0),galloping rhythmn, severe thickening. Currently
      asymptomatic for heart failure. 1 mg Enalapril 2x/day. Vet approved supplements: 75 mg CoQ10, 250 mg Taurine, 500mg Lysine, all 1x/day.

      In a message dated 1/2/2003 11:51:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, "emilywalter <e1e2e3@...>" <e1e2e3@...> writes:

      >He is 7 and has had his teeth cleaned at the vet twice.  They are not currently in that bad of shape, but in time they will be, thus my question.  He is a VERY TEMPERMENTAL cat when it comes to me doing thigs to him.  He would not tolerate me cleaning his teeth.  So is the benefit of clean teeth worth the risk of anesthesia?  I have
      found no vet who will do cat's teeth without it...

      >Emily
    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
        Hello & welcome to the group. So sorry Arnold is having problems.

        Sounds like he threw a clot - a common side-effect of heart disease. There are others on this group who have been through that and can comment on what to do. This disease also seems to affect all ages. Check the database "Our Furbabies" on the Yahoo group site. You'll see information about our kitties including age and medications -
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/database?method=reportRows&tbl=3

        Have you seen a cardiologist yet? You should be able to find one here - http://acvim.org/wwwfp/Diplomate/directory.htm. This is one of many links on the Yahoo group site.

        My girl - an 11 year old Maine Coon - was diagnosed in November with HCM. She gets atenolol and enalapril twice daily an lasix three times daily. She seems to be doing fairly well although she really responds to the weather. When it's warm, she does really well, but gets somewhat lethargic on the cool days - and it's still a real mix here in the mountains of northern NJ. I found that I had to give her a bit less of the atenolol & enalapril than the cardiologist prescribed. On full dose, she was very tired and just laid around. Those meds can knock them out a bit and sometimes atenolol can put them off their food for a few days until they adjust to it.

        This group has been a huge help. There are a lot of very knowledgable people.

        Best to you and Arnold

        Sue & Pepper

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
          Hi Rachel,

          Welcome to the group though I'm sorry you had to join us!

          > Does anyone else have cats on these medications, or have a cat as
          > young as Arnold suffering from this disease?

          Yes, and unfortunately, yes. The cats on this list vary in ages from kittens
          to elderly, and they're getting all kinds of different meds and supplements.
          My own kitty is about 5 now, and has dilated cardiomyopathy. He's not taking
          atenolol or aspirin, but other kitties are -- that's one reason why this list
          is such a great resource, there's always someone with at least a little
          experience or knowledge that you need.

          Again, welcome, and I hope Arnold is feeling better!

          Lisa

          "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

          - Anatole France

        • bengalboys@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
            In a message dated 4/12/2005 6:34:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            rachelwolfe@... writes:

            > Does anyone else have cats on these medications, or have a cat as
            > young as Arnold suffering from this disease?

            I did. My Bengal, Lightning, was about that age when his HCM was discovered.
            His symptoms came on suddenly and severely as well. He's been on Atenolol
            ever since, and just started Lasix last month. He turned 7 years old last
            month. :)
            Lisa

            Save a life. Support the Ricky Fund.
            http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/ricky-fund.html

          • shelly casey
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
              Sorry to hear Arnold has been found with HCM, but welcome to the group. I joined late last year when my kitty, Sam I am, who was 10 months old at that time was diagoned with HCM after my husband and I kept catching him open mouth breathe after he played hard with his toys. I am soooooo thankful that I found this group for support and for the education I have received from reading everyone's emails.....also all the kind words I received at the beginning when I really had no clue what was going on and what to do for my kitty. Since Sam was diagoned he has been taking 1/2 a baby aspirin twice a week, also atenenol and enalapril once a day. He goes back to the vet for an 6-month checkup next month. I was told by the vet when he was diagnosed that they didn't have any idea how much longer he would live since he was so young when diagoned so its taken some adjusting to live with this fact but we just learned to understand to enjoy our time with Sam and to watch him each day run around
              happy and enjoying what he is getting out of life. Unfortunately this is a disease that doesn't seem to have a cure so far.........but I am hoping with us all working together and sharing our stories and various meds that someday the time we are all putting into it will pay off for others down the road.

              We with you and Arnold the best!

              Shelly

              happyslamdance311 <rachelwolfe@...> wrote:

              I took my barely 1 year old cat, Arnold to an emergency clinic this
              weekend after he had apparently suffered from a sudden siezure after
              heavy play with a toy. The emergency vet monitored him overnight, he
              had no more seizures and seemed to be fine, so she sent him home with
              me the next day.

              I took him to my vet, and had her look over him. She felt his pulses
              in his back legs were weaker than what they should be, so she did a
              cardiac ultrasound on him later that day. After the ultrasound, we
              found that Arnold's ventrical walls were very thick, and she diagnosed
              him with HCM. We are starting him on a twice weekly asprin regimen,
              and twice daily Atenolol.

              Does anyone else have cats on these medications, or have a cat as
              young as Arnold suffering from this disease?

            • happyslamdance311
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
                Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm almost thankful that
                Arnold had this siezure because he has no murmur or gallop, his
                breathing isn't rapid and has never seemed labored...he just doesn't
                show me anything that would lead me to believe he had this underlying
                disease.

                I'm so glad I found this group, and I'm looking forward to learning
                more about the disease and share in all of your experiences, as
                well :)