Appetite and beta blockers

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hi everyone,
      I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow for Pebbles' check up.
      Pebbles has hyperthyroidism and kidney disease as well as heart problems
      caused by the hyperthyroidism.
      This past week or so (we started the beta blockers two weeks ago and
      increased the dose after the first week), it seems as if Pebbles is not
      howling for food all the time. Is this good? She is not on Tapazole yet for
      her thyroid. Or may she be feeling a bit off colour? Any thoughts on beta
      blockers and appetite, particularly in cats with hyperthyroidism. I am
      scared that maybe there is a negative effect going on with the kidneys from
      the beta blockers. We check her kidneys via blood test tomorrow, as well as
      T4 (thyroid test).