Re: [FH] Hi everyone

  • Lynnie Henderson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
      The only thing to be concerned about, IMO, is that the teeth will hurt or
      the gums will get swollen and make it hard to eat. Ill cats often have
      erratic appetites as it is, so you don't want to add another thing that
      makes them not want to eat.

      If you trust your vet to be honest, just ask him/her what exactly is the
      reason to have the teeth cleaned. If the kit needs to have some teeth pulled
      or has some serious plaque that can't be chipped off, then ask about gas as
      an anesthetic. It is much easier on the heart.
    • emilywalter <e1e2e3@msn.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
        He is 7 and has had his teeth cleaned at the vet twice. They are not
        currently in that bad of shape, but in time they will be, thus my
        question. He is a VERY TEMPERMENTAL cat when it comes to me doing
        thigs to him. He would not tolerate me cleaning his teeth. So is
        the benefit of clean teeth worth the risk of anesthesia? I have
        found no vet who will do cat's teeth without it...

        Emily

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "marcijoy2002 <foxfried@h...>"
        <foxfried@h...> wrote:
        > Good dental hygiene is very important. But perhaps home care is
        enough. My cats get their teeth brushed every day with a fluoride
        toothpaste and they get their teeth and gums wiped with antibiotic
        clorhexidine wipes 3 times a week. They do not get professional
        cleanings.
        > Whether or not home care would be enough for Simon would depend on
        the condition of his teeth.

        > Marcia
        >

        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "emilywalter <e1e2e3@m...>"
        <e1e2e3@m...> wrote:
        > > Yes, we talked about all the medication options last year, and
        all
        > > the side effects of them too. The cardiologist told me if it
        were
        > > her cat, she would not risk the side effects until it could be
        > > definitively determined that he has it. He is a big cat, and he
        has
        > > a big heart. She said if there is no progression, ie if the
        walls of
        > > his heart remain the same, she would not put him on meds, until
        and
        > > unless she saw progression.
        > >
        > > I have been making a list of questions for my next visit for a
        week.
        > > One is should I be having his teeth cleaned? I used to, but I am
        > > scared to have him anesthetized now. What do you think on that
        > > issue? My best friend's cat lived 21 years and she never cleaned
        his
        > > teeth ever!
        > >
        > > Thanks for your encouragement...
        > > Emily
        > >
        > > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Vojtas"
        <pam.vojtas@d...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Hi Emily,
        > > > Well if Simon has been doing well, perhaps there was no reason
        > > have him
        > > > on any meds this past year. This time though, be prepared to
        ask
        > > plenty of
        > > > questions about what the Cardiologist sees and what the
        possible
        > > treatments
        > > > are if there are any issues found. Also, insist on getting
        Simon's
        > > blood
        > > > pressure checked.
        > > >
        > > > Stay calm - the right thing to do is to get a recheck next week
        as
        > > scheduled
        > > > and then take it from there. Meanwhile, give Simon many hugs!
        > > > Pam

        But

      • adawson1971@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
          Moth hates being groomed in any way, shape or form. That includes brushing, nail clipping, and teeth brushing. But since brushing and nail clipping are unavoidable, I give in on the teeth brushing. Somewhat anyway. Every so often I will sneak up on him with the toothbrush and paste.

          In between brushing, I feed him Hill T/D diet for dental hygiene that I buy at the Vet's. They use it at treats, but since Moth can be iffy about eating any kind of "treat", I mix the T/d in with his regular dry food. So he gets some everyday. Some days he'll actually pick them out.

          The Dr. hasn't mentioned anything about his needing a cleaning, and since I've been using the T/d, I haven't noticed any bad breath of any kind. And his teeth appear to be in good shape. But he also gets CoQ10 daily, which I understand helps with dental health.

          Annette
          ~~~~~~~~~~~
          Mr. P.K. Moth: Male DMH (suspected Maine Coon), diagnosed 8/2000 at approx. 2 years old with Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia (TVD), with secondary right heart failure: Grade 4 murmur (now 2-0),galloping rhythmn, severe thickening. Currently
          asymptomatic for heart failure. 1 mg Enalapril 2x/day. Vet approved supplements: 75 mg CoQ10, 250 mg Taurine, 500mg Lysine, all 1x/day.

          In a message dated 1/2/2003 11:51:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, "emilywalter <e1e2e3@...>" <e1e2e3@...> writes:

          >He is 7 and has had his teeth cleaned at the vet twice.  They are not currently in that bad of shape, but in time they will be, thus my question.  He is a VERY TEMPERMENTAL cat when it comes to me doing thigs to him.  He would not tolerate me cleaning his teeth.  So is the benefit of clean teeth worth the risk of anesthesia?  I have
          found no vet who will do cat's teeth without it...

          >Emily
        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
            Hello & welcome to the group. So sorry Arnold is having problems.

            Sounds like he threw a clot - a common side-effect of heart disease. There are others on this group who have been through that and can comment on what to do. This disease also seems to affect all ages. Check the database "Our Furbabies" on the Yahoo group site. You'll see information about our kitties including age and medications -
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/database?method=reportRows&tbl=3

            Have you seen a cardiologist yet? You should be able to find one here - http://acvim.org/wwwfp/Diplomate/directory.htm. This is one of many links on the Yahoo group site.

            My girl - an 11 year old Maine Coon - was diagnosed in November with HCM. She gets atenolol and enalapril twice daily an lasix three times daily. She seems to be doing fairly well although she really responds to the weather. When it's warm, she does really well, but gets somewhat lethargic on the cool days - and it's still a real mix here in the mountains of northern NJ. I found that I had to give her a bit less of the atenolol & enalapril than the cardiologist prescribed. On full dose, she was very tired and just laid around. Those meds can knock them out a bit and sometimes atenolol can put them off their food for a few days until they adjust to it.

            This group has been a huge help. There are a lot of very knowledgable people.

            Best to you and Arnold

            Sue & Pepper

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
              Hi Rachel,

              Welcome to the group though I'm sorry you had to join us!

              > Does anyone else have cats on these medications, or have a cat as
              > young as Arnold suffering from this disease?

              Yes, and unfortunately, yes. The cats on this list vary in ages from kittens
              to elderly, and they're getting all kinds of different meds and supplements.
              My own kitty is about 5 now, and has dilated cardiomyopathy. He's not taking
              atenolol or aspirin, but other kitties are -- that's one reason why this list
              is such a great resource, there's always someone with at least a little
              experience or knowledge that you need.

              Again, welcome, and I hope Arnold is feeling better!

              Lisa

              "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

              - Anatole France

            • bengalboys@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
                In a message dated 4/12/2005 6:34:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                rachelwolfe@... writes:

                > Does anyone else have cats on these medications, or have a cat as
                > young as Arnold suffering from this disease?

                I did. My Bengal, Lightning, was about that age when his HCM was discovered.
                His symptoms came on suddenly and severely as well. He's been on Atenolol
                ever since, and just started Lasix last month. He turned 7 years old last
                month. :)
                Lisa

                Save a life. Support the Ricky Fund.
                http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/ricky-fund.html

              • shelly casey
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
                  Sorry to hear Arnold has been found with HCM, but welcome to the group. I joined late last year when my kitty, Sam I am, who was 10 months old at that time was diagoned with HCM after my husband and I kept catching him open mouth breathe after he played hard with his toys. I am soooooo thankful that I found this group for support and for the education I have received from reading everyone's emails.....also all the kind words I received at the beginning when I really had no clue what was going on and what to do for my kitty. Since Sam was diagoned he has been taking 1/2 a baby aspirin twice a week, also atenenol and enalapril once a day. He goes back to the vet for an 6-month checkup next month. I was told by the vet when he was diagnosed that they didn't have any idea how much longer he would live since he was so young when diagoned so its taken some adjusting to live with this fact but we just learned to understand to enjoy our time with Sam and to watch him each day run around
                  happy and enjoying what he is getting out of life. Unfortunately this is a disease that doesn't seem to have a cure so far.........but I am hoping with us all working together and sharing our stories and various meds that someday the time we are all putting into it will pay off for others down the road.

                  We with you and Arnold the best!

                  Shelly

                  happyslamdance311 <rachelwolfe@...> wrote:

                  I took my barely 1 year old cat, Arnold to an emergency clinic this
                  weekend after he had apparently suffered from a sudden siezure after
                  heavy play with a toy. The emergency vet monitored him overnight, he
                  had no more seizures and seemed to be fine, so she sent him home with
                  me the next day.

                  I took him to my vet, and had her look over him. She felt his pulses
                  in his back legs were weaker than what they should be, so she did a
                  cardiac ultrasound on him later that day. After the ultrasound, we
                  found that Arnold's ventrical walls were very thick, and she diagnosed
                  him with HCM. We are starting him on a twice weekly asprin regimen,
                  and twice daily Atenolol.

                  Does anyone else have cats on these medications, or have a cat as
                  young as Arnold suffering from this disease?

                • happyslamdance311
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
                    Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm almost thankful that
                    Arnold had this siezure because he has no murmur or gallop, his
                    breathing isn't rapid and has never seemed labored...he just doesn't
                    show me anything that would lead me to believe he had this underlying
                    disease.

                    I'm so glad I found this group, and I'm looking forward to learning
                    more about the disease and share in all of your experiences, as
                    well :)