  • ceebeling@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 30, 2000
      To: Johnathan, Peggy,Anyes, Voula and others:

      Our cat Taffy is doing a bit better, 50 hours after the blood clot
      that parylyzed his rear legs early Sat. AM. My wife and I visited him
      at vet this AM, and he is able to wag his tail, and there is some
      very limited movement in both legs. This is very promising. He is
      calm and alert, and receiving an IV. They will try to feed him today,
      and I'll visit him again this afternoon. He's not out of trouble by
      any means, but for the first time since this happened, we have some
      reason to be optimistic. Thanks so much for your thoughts and
      support. We've learned a great deal, fast about his disease on the
      internet, and shared these findings with the vet this AM. She has
      seen only a couple cases of this before, so found it helpful,
      particularily those findings that said if he regains some movement in
      the first 3 days to give him more time to improve. Thanks again for
      keeping your fingers crossed, and sharing info. and perspectives with
      us. We'll post what comes next.

      Chuck Ebeling
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 30, 2000
        I' am so happy that Taffy is showing some improvement. Yes, by all means,
        give him time to continue to improve. As I said in previous email, 6 weeks
        is the general rule of thumb. But many cats (our Lynx included) continue to
        show improvements even 3 months later.

        Please keep us informed. Taffy will continue to be in my prayers.

      • charles ebeling
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 30, 2000
          Voula:

          Thank you Voula, and also to pebble, Lucy and your Angel Sachie. Your
          support is much appreciiated.

          Chuck

          >From: "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@...>
          >To: <feline-heart@egroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [feline-heart] (unknown)
          >Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:52:45 +1100
          >
          >Dear Chuck,
          > prayers are continuing for darling Taffy, that he will be well very
          >soon.
          >Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • charles ebeling
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 30, 2000
            Johnathan:

            How long after the initial attack before your Lynx walked, and what was the
            nature and stages of his progress? Did you take him home before he was
            walking? We're trying to think through how much progress to expect before we
            take him home. Hoping we'll have these issues to work through.

            Best,
            Chuck

            >From: "Jonathan Rosenberg" <jr40@...>
            >To: <feline-heart@egroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [feline-heart] (unknown)
            >Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:04:15 -0500
            >
            >I' am so happy that Taffy is showing some improvement. Yes, by all means,
            >give him time to continue to improve. As I said in previous email, 6 weeks
            >is the general rule of thumb. But many cats (our Lynx included) continue
            >show improvements even 3 months later.
            >
            >Please keep us informed. Taffy will continue to be in my prayers.

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Voula Augerinos
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 30, 2000

                Remember that Lynx's clot lodged very low in his left rear leg. This was a
                very fortuitous place for it to lodge. He was able to hobble immediately ,
                but he did it with his toes folded under on that leg. Each time he spent
                one night in the hospital, getting lasix (he had a small amount of fluid
                around his heart), heparin & oxygen.

                After he came home, he regained function slowly over the next 3-4 weeks. We
                could see progress, but only looking back over a week. Then he seemed to
                plateau for many weeks. He was walking, but not wonderfully. All of a
                sudden he improved again over a period of a few weeks.

                > Did you take him home before he was walking?

                As per above, we were lucky in this regard.

                > We're trying to think through how much progress to expect before we
                > take him home. Hoping we'll have these issues to work through.

                I'm over my head here. But, I'm thinking that as long as Taffy's heart is
                stable & you can care for him appropriately (depending on his
                functionality), I'm wondering if he wouldn't be much happier at home. If
                he's happier, he's likely to recover better.

                How was he doing today?

                --
                JR
                & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2000
                  Chuck,
                  Most cats will recover completely from a first episode but it's important to
                  seek expert med diagnosis and treatment for Taffy. Good luck. It sounds good
                  if he's wagging his tail. Don't forget about physical therapy, massages,
                  etc. They will all help and i'ts what a human would get also.....hang in
                  there with TAffy, he's a trooper!

                  Good luck,
                  Linda and Pum

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 24, 2001
                    Dear Rachel,
                    prayers continue for Spud and for you to hang in there. I know what
                    it's like watching breathing all day!
                    The link you provided, was that a picture of Spud? I couldn't access
                    it.
                    Love, Voula.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 16, 2010
                      We'll help in any way we can -- but we need more info. Age & breed of kitty? When did you see the cardiologist last? What meds and how much is she on? What do you mean exactly by "going downhill" ? What is really happening?
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 17, 2010
                        I've had 9 kitties with hyperthyroid and one of the things they've had in
                        common is "howling". The first would roar like a lion and scare the
                        bejeebers out of me. Others, milder, but still a roar of sorts. I know others folks
                        with hyperT's have speculated it feels something like a (human's)
                        panic-attack. At any rate, when I run to see what's wrong, they've all been fine
                        and will settle down immediately. Maybe they just need a bit of comfort at
                        that moment from Mom.

                        Jo
                        ____________________

                        Since Frasier is deaf he will sometimes go into the bathroom and lay down
                        and scream at the top of his lungs. We have no clue why he does this. I
                        cant figure out if he can maybe hear himself a little or if he is mad or
                        whats going on, but every time he does it, my heart stops and I go running
                        to make sure he is fine. He always jumps up and gives me a head butt and
                        runs off to get a treat.

                        I don't think its a seizure of any kind and he walks fine so I don't think
                        its a thrombus. I have a feeling its just him. I guess most of us deal
                        with several different situations going on with our babies and we just have
                        to get used to them and how they act.

                        Linda and Frasier

                      • elfinmyst@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 17, 2010
                          Hi

                          Trixi went on vetmedin as a last resort and responded really well to it.

                        • Westgold
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 24 4:56 PM
                            Hi -- where do you live? do you have an ER there? You should take her in asap. IF it is fluids causing her distress, they can drain them manually without using any drugs. And another opinion certainly won't hurt --- please take her in now. If she's drowning in fluids, that is extremely painful.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 24 5:37 PM
                              No we don't have an ER near.  I just spoke
                              to my vet and he told me to make her comfortable
                              and to stop all meds.

                              My husband and I are going to talk as soon as
                              he gets off work.  We need to make a decision
                              on how we are going to procede.  I don't think
                              we will be driving up there tomorrow if we think
                              she can't make it.  Her breathing now is as bad
                              as it has been since all this occured.  Putting
                              her through all this for 3, 6, 9 months for me
                              doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I also
                              hear that many with these heart issues get clots
                              and die a terrible death.  I love her too much for that. I want
                              to do what is best for her, not what is best for me.
                              I love her enough enough to let her go.

                              Barbie

                              see in them what I am".

                              Gustav Klimt

                              ________________________________
                              Hi -- where do you live?  do you have an ER there?  You should take her in
                              asap.  IF it is fluids causing her distress, they can drain them manually
                              without using any drugs.  And another opinion certainly won't hurt --- please
                              take her in now.  If she's drowning in fluids, that is extremely painful.

                              >Nunu is taking a turn for the worse.  She is now having
                              >episodes of breathing out of her mouth.  Just got off
                              >the phone with the vet and he said do not give her anymore
                              >lasix because we both now believe it is doing her
                              >more harm than good because she has had issues
                              >with it from day one.  He is scared it may just make
                              >the issue worse that this point.  I am afraid she
                              >won't make it until morning.  He said to watch for
                              >a blue nose and tongue and if I see that, that her
                              >best bet is to put her down.
                              >
                              >Were any of you on this group in a situation where
                              >your pet was panting out of their mouth and had to wait
                              >for another 12 hours to be seen.  Did they survive?
                              >
                              >We were all gungho for the app in the morning but
                              >now we don't even know if she will be even well enough
                              >to make the trip two hours there.  I just hate to think
                              >that her last day will be driving in a car for 4 hours
                              >being poked and proded all day long.
                              >
                              >I know many of you on here may have had issues with
                              >clotting with HCM, have many of you experienced this?
                              >I am so worried about that and have been after the vet
                              >spoke to me about it.

                              >I'm so sorry for all my questions and posts.  But I can't
                              >seem to stop wondering this or that.  Knowing what others
                              >have experienced is helping me get through this.
                              >
                              >Barbie

                              >"Whoever wants to know something about me,
                              >must observe my paintings carefully and try to
                              >see in them what I am".

                              >Gustav Klimt

                            • Westgold
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 24 11:38 PM
                                Hi -- I always meet with the cardiologist first, and then leave them to do the scan. Then they talk to me afterwards. After the first one, the cardiologist even drew me a sketch of Tigger's little heart and showed me where everything was, etc, then we discussed treatment. The whole thing probably took around 90 minutes. I was given a prescription for atenolol, and he explained why he prescribed it. I probably could have gotten the pills there at the clinic, but I knew how hard it was to pill Tigger, so I took it to a compounding pharmacy and they made it up into the beef-flavor liquid which I mix in his wet food. The second time, I saw a different cardiologist at the same place. Everything was about the same, except the visit afterwards was shorter -- she said he hadn't changed a bit, and to continue the atenolol and come back in 2-3 years.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 26 10:39 AM
                                  Barbie, we will help you and Nunu anyway we can. Her story is a perfect example of why we need to see a cardiologist as soon as a problem is suspected. Two vets told her there was nothing wrong -- but she got the real story from the cardiologist. Regular vets don't see much heart disease, and although most of them can be very helpful, when there's a serious concern, you really need a cardiologist. Even if you have to drive 7 hours to see one!

                                  Keep an eye on Nunu's breathing -- she should stay under 30 breaths per minute, 23-37 is normal. If she goes up near 40, then there is probably fluid. That's an easy thing you can watch at home.

                                  Please keep us posted! We're all praying for you & Nunu--

                                  take care, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 26 12:37 PM
                                    hi -- Just got this from Barbie, I'm passing it along ... can someone advise on the meds? Tigg is just on atenolol, so I don't know baout mixing them.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 26 1:10 PM

                                      > hi -- Just got this from Barbie, I'm passing it along ... can someone advise on the meds?

                                      Just a couple of comments...

                                      > I wonder if I should invest in a stethoscope.

                                      Not much of an investment, just a few bucks, so worth seeing if it can help you. Whatever you can monitor at home, while kitty is calm, is a plus.

                                      > The aspirin will be in a liquid so I'll just use a little
                                      > dropper and shoot it down her throat.

                                      Never "shoot anything down the throat" (just in case that is really what you meant). When giving liquids, aim sideways into the mouth and let her swallow in her own time to reduce the chance of aspiration.

                                      Daisy and Ginger
                                    • Barbie
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 26 1:46 PM
                                        Sorry that is what I meant when saying shoot down the throat.
                                        It is only 1ml of liquid not a great amount so she should
                                        do well.  They have mixed it with almond oil.  I asked the vet
                                        about the vegetable oil and she said either was fine.  I
                                        thought there would be an issue with the veg oil because
                                        it is hydrogenated, but she said cats don't develope the things
                                        humans do from hydrogenated oils.  So either would have been
                                        fine.  But we chose the almond oil, I read it has many benefits
                                        to the human heart so maybe it will have some healing
                                        benefit for cats as well.  I will look up more about this later.

                                        I will get a stethoscope because I do think it is a great idea
                                        to monitor that.  So will get one of those.  Where can I purchase
                                        one in a store?  I have never noticed them anywhere but then
                                        I wasn't looking either.  I am sure I can get one on-line if not
                                        instore.

                                        Thanks Diasy

                                        Barbie

                                        see in them what I am".

                                        Gustav Klimt

                                        ________________________________
                                        > hi -- Just got this from Barbie, I'm passing it along ... can someone advise on
                                        >the meds?

                                        Just a couple of comments...

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 27 5:19 AM
                                          I hate to say that I am skeptical
                                          about on-line pharmacy buying.
                                          There have been many horror stories
                                          and I think I prefer to deal with
                                          someone first hand.  We found
                                          someone to buy it from the a city
                                          my husband works in.  He has
                                          a commute of 1 1/2 hrs everyday.
                                          So he will pick it up during work
                                          hours.  So turns out it won't be a
                                          problem or a wasted drive.

                                          Barbie

                                          see in them what I am".

                                          Gustav Klimt

                                          ________________________________
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 15, 2010
                                            Thanks Carol.  I saw her drinking really well this morning
                                            but I am starting to think she is getting too much lasix.

                                            She hardly used the box yesterday at all, I had to carry
                                            her there twice and she did pee both times, but no
                                            bowel movement yet.  Still working on that.

                                            I hope she isn't going into kidney failure.  I will have to
                                            look up the symptoms of that.

                                            Thanks for taking the time to write.

                                            Barbie

                                            see in them what I am".

                                            Gustav Klimt

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 20, 2011
                                              Very good news! There is a yahoogroup for assisted feeding, they might be able to help you. She sure needs a lot of good protein to build up her strength.
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 1 1:12 PM
                                                hi -- I don't know what CKD is. But any breathing rate over 40 is a true emergency, it means there is so much fluid and kitty is struggling to breathe.

                                                Zorro (love his name!!) needs an echocardiogram done by a cardiologist immediately to ascertain exactly what is wrong with him. No other test will show the exact status of the heart.

                                                No offense, but this is NOT a time for a homeopathic vet. He cannot help your kitty at all. Don't waste any more time in getting a full correct diagnosis from a cardiologist so Zorro can get started on the proper real meds asap. The correct meds can prolong his life and ease his suffering. They're in horrible pain when drowning in those fluids. The next time the breathing rate is over 40 you need to rush him to the ER immediately to get those fluids drained. Hopefully the correct dose of diuretics will prevent it from happening again, but you still have to keep an eye open. Fluids can build up and cause heart failure in a couple minutes.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 1 6:51 PM
                                                  CKD is kidney disease which many refer to as CRF.

                                                  Elise