Intro Jessie

  • ench32901 <jtintera@fit.edu>
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
      Good morning all-
      Didn't expect to be back at "groups" so soon ... I've lost 2 crf
      kitties, a dog to a stroke, and had successful I-131 thyroid treatment
      for a kitty in the past two years, who then needed calcitriol! I got
      tons of good information and support from those appropriate groups ...
      if any newbies doubt the value of this service, I can tell you I am
      educating my very trusted vet with information I'm finding out here.
      Thanks in advance to all who take their time to post information.

      Jessie is a 8-1/2 yr. old Persian who started breathing heavy and
      panting about 3 weeks ago. Visit with cardiologist showed showed left
      and right atri dilated. Left ventricle not thickened. Systolic
      function was normal. His heart rate at the vet was 220m bpm. All
      bloodwork and T4 normal.

      He's been on 1/2 lasix twice a day, 1 mg enalpril daily and started on
      Diltiazen, but just changed to altenenol (sp?) once a day. Am
      checking his heartrate daily, is down to around 150 resting, around
      170 when he's active.

      He's still eating well, and playing, but gets a little tired.

      Sorry for the long intro ... now to the questions:

      1) Both reg. vet and cardio. said he gets enough taurine in his food
      (I've always followed the wonderful canned/dry foot postings on this
      list) BUT after reading the postings, seems like he should still get
      it ... how much would I give him for his size, where do I buy it, what
      form, pill, powder, etc.

      2) Is anyone set up to use oxygen at home? Have been offered this as
      an option when I asked ... what do I do in case of a "crash". I know
      the answers for CRF, but not for HCF. I'd like to hear anyone's
      experiences.

      3) My vet is 40 mins from home, cardio is 1-1/2 hrs. Even though
      Jessie has traveled extensively all his life, he's getting rattled in
      the car now. Is anyone using valium prior to a vet visit ... how much,
      what side effects experienced?

      Thanks in advance for the help.

      Judi and Jessie
    • lois_051958 <ljones432@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
        Judy,
        I give Gizmo Felovite II with taurine. It comes in a tube and is in
        a malt base like Petromal hairball remedy, My cats LOVE it. You can
        purchase it at any pet supply store, and it is available at my vets
        office as well.
        For traveling, I give my cats Rescue Remedy. I purchase it from
        Smith Ridge Vet Hospitals (in NY) supplement dept. THey ship all
        over the country. But I think you can purchase it at health food
        stores. It has a calming effect on cats, and is safe.
        Lois
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "ench32901 <jtintera@f...>"